It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Tried everything to prevent nighttime reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #16
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Tried everything to prevent nighttime reflux

towerofsteel,

It infuriates me that our doctors attribute side effects from medications and symptoms of various conditions or disorders to 1/anxiety or 2/aging, I suppose a third "cause" would be an overactive imagination? (they simply don't believe us and think our symptoms are imaginary). Anxiety and aging provide a very convenient excuse for practically everything.

I am so glad your doctor FINALLY saw the light. It took her long enough! I hope the twice daily PPI dosing does the trick and helps you with the symptoms. Perhaps that is what I need. The trick is not to come across as an anxious person. It may be a while before I see a doctor for this. I'll have to prepare my questions (not very many) and practice, making it short and sweet.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #17
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

yes! I agree. You know what my very first doctor said? "You are a very sensitive person it seems, I think you are overreacting." I left that doctor in a second. Awful! This was the same doctor that didn't know fatty foods could cause reflux, he laughed at me and said I made it up.

Yes I feel.... happy now. happier at least. I think I already feel a bit better. Its definetaly not as bad as a week ago. (I started taking two pills a day two days prior to the doctors visit because I felt so miserable, had to call in sick). I can feel my throat being very sore in the morning and also towards the end of the day, but its far from as bad as a week ago. so I am hoping in two weeks time a lot will have cleared up! I see light at the end of the tunnel.

And yes preparing questions is crucial. because you don't want to leave unsatisfied. It might seem embarassing reading off a paper but its worth it. I studied the questions so I didn't even have to show the paper! haha. I did forget a few stuff, but it was a lot better than last time. I left really anxious that time.

thanks for the support!

Last edited by towersteel; 04-19-2008 at 03:02 AM.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Towersteel,

I am glad that you are starting to feel better. From what I have read a double dose of Nexium is the preferred treatment for LPR - so hopefully you are on the track to feeling much better.

May I ask a couple of questions? When you used apple cider vinegar - how did you use it? Also what type and amount of gaviscon are you taking?

I have SEVERE acid reflux at the moment - it is constant and coming up my throat into my mouth. I am taking Prilosec and supplementing with Ulitmate Strength Mylanta - it is not even making a DENT -- the stronger PPI's give me terrible dizziness and migraines so I cannot tolerate them.

Thank you - have a good day!

Vanessa

Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

Hello Vanessa!

I am better. At least thats how I felt this morning. I must be honest and say I am feeling a bit worse as the day has progressed, as I feared. But its not as bad as before. It all comes up about 30 minutes after meals. thats when I get the throat constriction and all of that fun stuff (but not swollen glands/ear fullness this time!). I guess my throat is trying to protect me from the acid. But I am getting tested for allergies just in case, to rule that out. I'm not expecting the pills to help me over two days, I am being realistic! its much better. After all, my throat is very swollen and its gonna take a few weeks for that to go away.

As for the ACV, I only drank it at night. Two tablespoons mixed in a glass of water. Make sure you drink it down with a straw because its not good for the teeth. Most people who use the ACV treatment take it several times a day, so I would try that. It tastes pretty foul but I believe it helps pretty well.

I am using both liquid & tablet form Gaviscon. I use the tablets when I'm not home (they are easy to take with you) & the liquid form whenever I am at home. I am instructed to take 1-3 tablets & 10-20 ml of the liquid. I decide how much to take based on how I am feeling and how much I have eaten.

I am sorry that you are feeling horrible. But its nice to visit a place like this where people can identify. I am hoping you will feel better soon, its very unfortunate that you can't tolerate high doses of PPI's. I am very lucky that way, I don't get side effects.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #20
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I went to the pharmacy today to get something to take with my PPI. Once daily dose of 40mg Nexium does not seem to cut it anymore. Actually, it never did. I remember my doctor mentioning Gaviscon some time ago. I grabbed a package of Gaviscon, Zantac and one other med and asked a pharmacist which one to buy. I explained my situation, including the fact that I take calcium citrate (as recommended by another pharmacist) to work with the daily dose of 40mg Nexium. Apparently, Nexium ALONE (without Gaviscon) should be enough to take care of all symptoms and is supposed to work round the clock. Well, it doesn't!

The pharmacist said Zantac does NOTHING and that one should never buy it. The calcium citrate is fine to take to help maintain the right balance. Gaviscon works differently than Nexium - it coats the stomach and esophagus- and should prove helpful. We'll see. My stomach really hurts today - not hunger pangs (which is what I thought at first). I ate a piece of chicken (all I had today so far) and the pain is still there. It feels like someone kicked me in the stomach. The "ton of bricks" feeling. I will take one of the Gaviscon tablets and hope it helps. I woke up this morning feeling really sick. Now I feel fine except for the stomach pain. Strangely, no reflux that I noticed so far.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-19-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #21
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Tower & Flower

Tower I really hope the twice daily Nexium starts to heal your pain. Do you take both at once or 12 hours apart?

I'm with you FLower - I have NO IDEA what started mine acting up. But it is BAD - I am refluxing constantly - burning horrible pain up into my throat and mouth. This is the second time in 2 months that this has happened - last time it took 2 days to stop - this time it is day #3 and still bad, in fact a bit worse. I am going to double the Prilosec and try Gaviscon to see if that helps. If not I will try the Apple Cidar Vinegar - though that one scares me a little the thought of adding more acid to my already burning throat and stomach - but I am desperate.

The pain is severe and constant.... It kept waking me up last night even though I was sitting straight up

I might have to try one of the stronger PPI's that I have and deal with the headache and dizziness just to try and stop the refluxing.

This is SO WEIRD - I watch what I eat, behave - and NOW worse reflux than EVER????? It is so frustrating and confusing. I have been under a lot of stress lately - and probably not eating as well as I have in the past.

I hope we all feel better soon!!

Nessa

Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #22
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

I take them 5.30 (before dinner) and right when I wake up (literarily, I have the pills beside my bed).

Vanessa I really feel for you. Sounds absolutely horrible at least mine was never constant and mostly related to discomfort rather than pain (though I experienced that too).

get better soon!

Last edited by towersteel; 04-20-2008 at 06:36 AM.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #23
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I hope you are feeling better today, Vanessa, and that the double dose of Prilosec has helped.

I think our doctors have NO IDEA what having to live with acid reflux and its symptoms is like. They don't seem to think acid reflux is a big deal and treat it as a minor irregularity. I don't want to sound mean, but I almost wish they experienced it firsthand. They'd show more empathy when treating us.
    I am much better today and hope everyone else is as well. Wishing everyone a good day tomorrow!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-20-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #24
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you both so much - I too wish the Drs. took our pain and suffering more seriously. Oh, its just a little burning - I THINK NOT

It is day #4 and the burning/refluxing is WORSE. I am scared as I have no IDEA what set it off and why it will NOT calm down. I doubled my Prilosec and it did not even TOUCH it. Kept me up AGAIN last night.

I will try taking Prevacid - I am scared because the prescription strength PPI's tend to make me feel very ill - flu like with a migraine. But at this point I am becoming concerned with aspirating the acid into my lungs - that would be awful.

So I think I will try the Prevacid and see what happens. This is really scaring me bad - this is has never happened this severe and this long before. I have totally gone on a completely RESTRICTED diet and am really being careful but nothing is helping.

Wonder what I did to myself?

Thank you both - Nessa

Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #25
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa,

I am sorry your reflux is out of control. I think several factors might be responsible. Medication, stress from not feeling well, digestive issues (I think people on medication develop those sooner or later, from the effects of medication which supresses various functions, making our bodies compensate) and our breathing. I am certain my breathing is affected by my stomach. It has been really nasal sounding lately. People have been commenting on my "cold" again. I can't blame them. My voice is still hoarse and I sound as bad as ever. I wonder if my flu-like symptoms - the fake congestion etc - are FROM the medication, or from the reflux? I'll be very surprised if I ever figure this out.

I hope you feel better soon, Vanessa, and that you will find SOMETHING that works. What (IF ANYTHING!!!) does your doctor suggest? I wonder if you should try to stay away from OTC meds - could they be making things WORSE???

flowergirl

Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #26
    locust73
    (male)

locust73 HB User
    Talking Re: Tried everything to prevent nighttime reflux

Hey all, I'm new to this forum.

I was diagnosed with GERD over a year ago and have been in denial for most of that time. However, a few months ago, I realized that the problem was not going to go away magically, so I'm now in the acceptance mode of the disease.

A few months ago I went to the gastro doctor and explained my symptoms to him: trouble breathing, tingly tougne, hoarse voice, sinus congestion and ear pressure. Wait, before I go there I have to say that about a month or so before that I went to an Ear Throat and Nose (ENT) Doctor to see if I had LPR. I happened upon the description of LPR on the internet and I suspected that is what I have, so I went to the ENT to get evaluated. Of course, the ENT said I have GERD and just need to go back to the Gastro doctor. Ok, so I saw the gastro doctor 3 months ago, and he put me on Nexium, 80 MG per day, for 3 months and told me to come back after that.

Here I am 3 months later, and I'm still having the symptoms, though they may have subsided some. The Nexium helps with not waking up with the heartburn, and just heartburn in general, but it doesn't do much for alleviating my symptoms of LPR (which I have only self-diagnosed at this point).

I just saw something on the web at another forum that explained some different surgeries. It's looking like this might be the best alternative for me, but I'm not there just yet. But what else can you do really if the drugs aren't working? I mean, the acid taste is constant with me. Some foods just make it worse.

Coffee is like my worst trigger right now, and it causes the breathing problems.

Anyhow, have any of you had surgery or know anything about the different types? I read about one called The Stretta Procedure that looks very promising. Anyone heard anything about this?

I'm so glad there is a place I can come talk to people about this stuff. Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 AM   #27
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Locust,

Even though I am suffering - I am quite hesitant to attempt surgery - unless I exhaust all other means FIRST. I am starting to suspect that my gall bladder operation that I had (2) years ago is significantly contributing to my GERD/Reflux. I have a large lump/scar and did not heal correctly. I think it is contributing to my stomach issues. I have read that the surgery is not always successful and would hate to put myself throguh another operation and continue to suffer.

I agree with you Flower - stress is contributing as well as probably all my 'self-medicating'. I had also (during a very stressful time last week) fallen off the wagon - had more coffee than usual and added some chocolate (which I had not eaten in months) -- I am sure all these factors combined for what I am suffering.

I started the Prevacid today and will see how I do with that. If that does not help I will ask my Dr. for a sample of Nexium (I have never tried that one before) and see.

Thanks for your kindness and concern. It is really GREAT to have a place to come and share and get good advice.

Vanessa

Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 AM   #28
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

hello! update!

Like you know I am now on Nexium 20mg twice a day.

I felt much better for about a week and was the happiest I have ever been. Then, this week has brought on a lot of stress. I no longer know if its the medication that isnt doing its job or if its temporary.

One of the worst symptoms is now gone - which was the swollen lymph nodes and headaches. I don't get those at all.

However, after eating sometimes (I am very strict with my diet, so thats not the problem) I can actually feel stuff coming up my throat. its no longer acidic like before, and it doesn't burn. it just feels like a fountain shooting up my throat. It doesn't hurt but whenever this happens I know my throat will be hurt. This still happens a lot, at least 5 times a day.

Now a lot of symptoms are gone, but I am still dealing with weird symptoms. For example after eating/drinking I will get this sore spot in my throat, it feels like acid mucous that forces me to cough. I can't explain it, but it feels like something is stuck in the upper part of the windpipe, causing me to want to clear it/cough. This is not the same as the lump in throat/mucous pooling, which I also still have from time to time. I also have an itchy throat, but I also have hay fever so I am thinking that might be the problem.

So, I called another ENT for a second opinion. I don't want to switch doctors but I just want a second opinion, if this doctor is horrible I will quit going to her. I have an appointment with my current doctor two hours after, so next Wednsday will be an eventful day.

Hoarseness comes and goes. Today, its horrible. But up until yesterday it had been going well. I am worried that its back.

I am back to waking up with a sore throat.

We'll see what happens now. The recent episodes might also be something temporary because of major stress (family sickness). I don't know anymore!

Last edited by towersteel; 04-29-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #29
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hmm, sorry to hear about your setback.
    I think that consulting another doctor is a great idea. Obtaining a second opinion might help clear things up (or not). Sometimes it raises more questions than provides answers.
    You might learn something new by going to another doctor. I hope it will be a pleasant experience for you. Please keep us posted and share any insights your doctor might have. Good luck with your appointment!

flowergirl

Old 05-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #30
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

Thanks! Yeah I am really hopeful towards this new doctor. This time I will come more prepared and say I have "LPR" rather than "GERD" when I meet her, if she recognizes LPR thats a good sign of her knowledge.

And you know what, I think I CURED my GERD. My nighttime reflux isn't bad anymore, and you know what, when I wake up thats when I feel the best. Right now I just got a bit of an itchy throat but my voice is A LOT clearer. its always clearer in the mornings. its prob 90% of what it was before this. This is every morning, not just this morning. That's why I am always so positive in the mornings and I think I'm cured!

I did something naughty and changed the prescription myself, I know this isn't recommended, but you of all probably understand how frustrating this is, especially knowing I am getting the wrong medication. My LPR is really hard to get in control, I feel it splashing constantly during the day and my voice getting worse and worse as the day progresses. So I am taking 40mg two times a day now up until the appointment. This will also give me insight if this is what I should demand from the new doctor, because if I've tried it and it works... I won't be letting go.

I just find it weird that it can heal over night. how can it all be clear in the morning and during the course of a day get so bad? It's really confusing. That's why I thought it might be an allergy/intollerance, but I don't think it is, because I've had some (read: SOME) days where I have been completely good the whole day, and I ate the same stuff on those days.

Anyway I will see how I feel today. I don't get sideffects from the pills at all (I have accidentaly taken two pills before) so thats not a worry. Hopefully I can stay clear all day now.

GERD is easy to cure but LPR is hell! It really is. I wish more doctors acknowledged this.

thats all for now! I'll get back to you tonight.

Last edited by towersteel; 05-01-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Closed Thread