It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Tried everything to prevent nighttime reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #31
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
    Re: Tried everything to prevent nighttime reflux

I got up early this morn feeling all chipper, ate my healthful ceral and now feel like I'm going to choke to death. I have not only the feeling of food coming back up into my throat but all the way to my right sinus. Only on right side, which I think many of us experience one side or another. Haven't taken my Nexium yet but never seems to matter. I get so afraid that I'll cough and clear my throat so much that I will lose my voice again but knock on wood, it's been a good 4 or 5 months with no hoarsness. I can tell I get a deep sort of voice at times but at least it's a voice! My problem is all LPR so guess why I rarely have problems during the night or sleeping. In fact, I'm better lying down. Go figure. Don't get me wrong, I have had those times during sleeping when that stuff would shoot up and I couldn't get my breath! I've had this over 10 yrs and seem to be either finally getting better or just feeling it's a part of life now. LOL. Not fun and I had several yrs I absolutly thought I was going to die. Wishing everyone a great day and hope you feel better soon.

Charla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #32
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

edit: I got a bit better towards the night! lets see what tomorrow brings

Last edited by towersteel; 05-01-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #33
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

tower,

So WHAT are you doing differently? Taking your medication twice a day, instead of just once? I am glad to hear it seems to be working. I hope it works long-term.
    My nausea hasn't been so bad in the mornings lately. I am grateful for that. I don't choke as often during the day, which I also appreciate. I think the worst thing right now is the voice - it comes and goes -, hoarseness, and clogged sinuses. I sound like a person with a cold when I do have my voice and can talk. I sound even worse when attempting to talk after I've lost my voice. Anyway, that's not as bad as choking. So I could say I am better, too!
    I hope things work out for you. Please keep us posted.

Charla,

Sorry about your suffering. You must be somewhat used to it by now! It does not get any easier. I hope both you and your husband are doing well. Good to see your posts again!

take care,
    flowergirl

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #34
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

hey! Yes I am taking 20mg 2x day. I did take 40mg 2x for a while but felt guilty for changing the prescription so I am back to 20mg 2x now til wednsday. Tho if I feel bad again I'll go back to 40mg, if it gets unberable.

I am still very hoarse but a lot of symptoms have cleared up. But I can tell my throat is irritated, everyone with LPR knows that you can feel it. I do however feel that I can speak for longer periods of time than before, but not TOO long still.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #35
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Let's hope you can stay on the 2x20mg Nexium daily and keep the reflux and some of your LPR symptoms in check. Perhaps the LPR symptoms are the last ones to improve as the frequency of reflux episodes decreases. Please keep us posted!

FG

Old 05-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #36
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi everyone

Tower - I am so glad that you found some relief - I felt so bad for your suffering. I have been doing some reading and many Drs. feel that the standard treatment for LPR should be (1) 40MG Nexium twice a day (if it can be tolerated by the patient). I hope this works for you and you find permanent relief.

Also, I read an interesting report that showed while PPI's stop the ACID they DO NOT stop REFLUX. We continue to reflux stomach contents, just not acid as the PPI is slowing that or stopping it. Interesting.

It stated the big problem is a weakend LES and the PPI's do not help that just stop the acid so the damage can be healed. This would mean to me that without the LES being fixed we who reflux (whether LPR or GERD) would need this drugs forever to prevent acid damage????

Again, I am so glad that you have found relief!

Vanessa

Last edited by Vanessa74; 05-03-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #37
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

Hello Vanessa! Lovely coming to this board ,its like a little sanctuary where people actually understand!!

I must say I feel a lot better today. its been a good day, and even on 20mg x 2 I feel a lot better, even though I still have a sore throat a while after meals and phleghmy/itchy feeling (also some throat fatigue, but its not as bad as before, though far from how it was before LPR). It's not half as bad as one or two weeks ago.

I have read a lot up on it too and have also found 40mg x2 seems to be the standard treatment, but like I said earlier, people in Sweden are very careful with medications. They usually start at a very low dose and only increase the dose if the pills don't work, its in many steps. I started out with 20mg once a day, which was pretty useless.

I have felt like cheating many times and taking 40mg x2 but I was thinking maybe thats not a good idea. because if it does help, I do have another 5 days before the doctors appointment and some healing might have taken place. I'd rather go with this dosage right now, tell her where I'm at & that while I am at 70% relief its not completely as desired and hope that she agrees on a higher dosage. However, if I do feel very bad before Wednsday I will take a higher dose, I have done that two or three times when I felt a relapse coming on. Infact, I might call my doctor on Monday and ask her if I can take two pills up until the appointment.

I'll keep you posted! When I read about other people being cured from LPR on this board I actually get very happy, because it means theres hope. so I hope my progress is of value to you people. I am hoping that in two or three months this condition won't be taking over my life like it is now.

The medication... hm for me personally, I don't want to get sick again so my wish is to continue on this treatment until there is a cure for this condition. I don't get sideeffects from Nexium, and even though that might come later, right now I don't really care! I am very anti-medication (I never take it for anything else) but when you have struggled with something for almost a year (I know some of you have had it for 10 years and more!!) the only thing you want is to be fine. For me, the medication is my saviour and I know personally I cant do without it. I think the doctor will try to make me wean off it eventually but I'm gonna tell her thats not going to happen, haha! The diet is also something that is going to be for life for me. I just can't go back to eating like I was (I ate very healthy food, but ate a lot at a time & a lot of spicy food). For the most part the diet is not too much of a hassle, I have grown used to it. Well it is a bit of a pain when eating out, and having to explain it to people is always a bit frustrating.

I actually had a discussion with someone the other day where he went "so you mean you can't eat something spicy ever again in your life?" followed by "You can't live without fat, I mean you must eat SOME fat". Thats why I love this board because theres none of that here! People just think you can have a curry and then just take a pill, they don't realize the long term effects of LPR. Now I have decided to be a bit more selfish about it and get quite defensive when people judge me for my food decisions that are connected to LPR.

Get back to you soon!

Last edited by towersteel; 05-03-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #38
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Good for you Tower! What a GREAT attitude you have I agree with you - I always like to be on the LOWEST possible doasage of medicine that helps my problem.

I too am willing to take the meds for now as my severe reflux is debilitating and NOT something I am willing to live with.

Like you I am on the DIET for LIFE!! Its not really so bad (I ate really healthy too - but I miss onions, tomatos, orange juice, and COFFEE) - but if in the long term it stops permanent damage and helps my body heal its SO WORTH IT!!!

I read where a Dr. said that PPI's ARE NOT so that you can eat whatever you want, but so that your body can heal in conjuction with the proper diet - that makes a lot of sense to me.

Good luck at the Dr. please let me know how you make out!

Nessa

Old 05-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #39
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

You can't eat onions? Onions are fine with me as long as they are cooked (so is garlic). Raw onion however is bound to give me terrible heartburn, but as soon as they are cooked the acidity seems to go away. If not used to excess its safe to use in my food! I also miss tomatoes terribly sometimes, but as soon as I think of them I feel horrible. I used to drink a lot of Orange juice... I think that might actually be a part of my stomach issues. And chocolate! chocolate is delicious. but I don't miss it as much as I am enjoying getting better. I much prefer making the better food choices and then feeling better the rest of the day.

I was with a big group of people today that decided to eat out. I already filed several complaints about where to go and finally went to an Asian place. I thought maybe there would be SOMETHING I could eat there! I asked her if my choice was spicy and she said "no, not at all". Well it wasn't hot, but it was certainly quite spicy. Eating out is really tricky. Because you don't wanna have to say "I have stomach issues" and tell the whole story. So I now have a new tactic. In the future I'm gonna specifically ask "which dish would be a good choice if I am looking for the least spicy and fatty dish?" because even though a dish isn't hot in the sense, they prepare food with a lot of spices. this is because people don't want bland food! I didn't either when I didn't have this condition. That's just a tip from me By the way I am fine, I only ate a few bites of the dish and then switched with a friend who made a much more GERD & LPR friendly choice. I didn't get any heartburn or LPR symptoms luckily, but I'll be sure to wait a couple of more hours before I go to bed!

Last edited by towersteel; 05-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #40
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tower,

what I do is always choose an item on the menu that requires immediate cooking - usually grilling. It is then that I ask that no spices (or fat or whatever) be added and to leave it plain. The choices are many. Blackened fish, salmon, grilled chicken, seafood, shishkebab etc with nothing added. No one ever asks any questions and the results are satisfactory. I, like so many others, have to eat low fat, no salt etc. which limits the food choices severely. This method has always worked for me.

flowergirl

Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #41
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

WOW - what GREAT ideas Flower and Tower,

I don't eat out much but have really been avoiding it lately because of my stomach and NOT wanting to explain it!!! I will use your tips as I am taking my mom out for Mother's Day and my lovely boys want to take me out and I do not want to spoil there fun!

Now I feel more confident about it!!

I must make an appointment and get into my Dr. THIS WEEK as 14 straight days on the Prevacid and strict diet and not much relief - still PAINFUL refluxing most of the day and night.

Perhaps Nexium next? Also I want to get tested for H Pylori.

Thanks again - and have a GREAT DAY!!!

Nessa

Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #42
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

Flower that is a good tip which I also use, but at some places they don't offer grilled food. Indian places are a big nono because all their sauces are incredibly creamy, even if its not hot. I went to an indian three months ago or so and for the rest of the day I regretted it sorely!

I think the bottom line is that you can't just pick what "Looks okay" on the menu, but you have to ask the waiter about it more closely. I ordered a salad the other day and it was drenched it in dressing, I have learned that I have to ask them to not add it next time!

I love Ethiopian food but a lot of it is very very spicy. They also have HUGE servings. What I do now is order the same dish every time. Theres a lentil stew that is very low on spices and easily digestable. the food is incredible but lately I've had to restrain myself from taking another bite! They serve three servings at once. now I'm more keen on taking take-away from the place, because then I can save the food and eat it two more times! everybody wins! It's all about learning to work around the reflux. I'm getting better and better at it today I had sushi, which is probably the best reflux food I can recommend. its very easy on the stomach, most of it is raw and they serve it with ginger, which is great for the digestive system.

Last edited by towersteel; 05-05-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #43
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

I was at the doctors today (the old one). This is how it stands.

I have a fairly low white blood cell count. She is forwarding it to another doctor... ironically, I have felt much better lately (though my throat hasn't felt very good today, but I blame that on huge ammounts of stress). I don't know what it can be, but this is a sign it might be something more than just ordinary reflux and LPR.... maybe I am infected with something. And yes, this is the second or third time I check my blood count. it won't go up, they thought it was just a cold before but it wasn't apperantly...

My throat looked better than last time (when it looked like I threw up) but was still quite infected.

It wasn't a good appointment... I told her about me taking the double dose (40mg instead of 20mg twice a day) and she didn't seem to be for it. She said "go on, but this medecine isn't all good. it makes it harder for you to absorb nutrients, because of the low ammount of stomach acid". At this point I told her at the spot "Well, I'd rather live with that risk than to live in pain every single day of my life." So I am continuing the 40mg x2 and hopefully I will continue to recover.

Once again she mentioned anxiety. I got really annoyed with her this time because she had already mentioned it before and I told her it wasn't the issue. Don't they realize you feel the acid coming up your throat? Anxiety doesn't do stuff like that to you... I am a thin person and has always been so she actually said to me "I don't know if you are shoving a finger down your throat..." she thought I had an eating disorder. This has been mentioned to me before and even though I understand the curiosity it offends me every time!

Tomorrow I'm meeting my new ENT. I am hoping she is better. People don't know how to treat LPR here.

Last edited by towersteel; 05-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #44
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Oh My Goodness - how AWFUL for you... Here you go for help and that is what you get???

Are they looking for a possible infection causing the low white count? Do they feel that the Nexium could be contributing to that in anyway?

WOW -tells you taking that much Nexium is not a good idea but gives you no alternatives for relief?

I am so sorry - hope it goes better with your next Dr.

Vanessa

Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #45
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What a refereshing thought - a doctor opposing the idea of her patient taking medication, and giving a verbal warning of possible consequences. That has not happened to me yet. Usually, it is quite the opposite. Additional medication is offered to treat the side effects from the existing drug therapy. It is up to me to say no, thanks.

I hope your current dose of Nexium proves to be safe and effective- with few or no side effects. I think Nexium is supposed to be one of the best meds in existence for these types of problems. As for the low white blood cell count - how low was it? If below 2500 cells per microliter, there's a considerable risk of serious infection. If the decrease in WBC count is moderate, it could be from the effects of medication and antibiotics, an auto-immune problem or an infection. I hope your white blood cell count corrects itself and returns to normal.

As soon as I hear the word ANXIETY, I react by becoming annoyed. It is so unfair to be labeled as anxious when wanting to discuss a new side effect. I learned quite a while ago not to mention side effects at all. I have been told that anxiety makes my side effects worse. I don't believe that to be the case with me AT ALL. Ironically, the only times I really start feeling anxious (AND very annoyed) is when my problems are being blamed on anxiety and not acknowledged for what they are - the side effects of medication. Another thing I find just as annoying is when the side effects are blamed on aging. The way some doctors see it, practically anything can be attributed to either aging or anxiety - providing a good excuse for NOT looking into the issue at hand.

flowergirl

Closed Thread