It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Tried everything to prevent nighttime reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #61
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Tried everything to prevent nighttime reflux

A healthy diet makes all the difference. Eating the wrong foods can make us sick in the short term (acid reflux) as well as a long term (chronic diseases). We just have to figure out which foods are right for us and which ones aren't. I suspect many of us have allergies to certain foods that we are not even aware of.
    I hope your nighttime reflux is history! Mine is much better now and does not interfere with my getting sleep as much as it did until recently. I only have to put up with it now and then, not nightly anymore.

best of luck,
    flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #62
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

hello people.

I've never been happier in my life. at least I can't remember being happier.

My throat is healing up at a quicker rate than ever before.

and you know what the problem was? Milk. My stomach can't break down the milk so it goes up into my throat. I've been milk free for three weeks now. I went to my ENT and said that my throat hadn't looked this good before and that it was practically healed, so in a week or so it should be in perfect shape again (still have a dry throat but she said this will pass as it heals up completely). I don't really get bad reflux anymore, it is a RARE occassion. during this milk-free period I've had it three times, and twice I can pin-point it was because of milk. Just yesterday I was at a party and they had corn there, but I didn't realize it was brushed with butter. Well, I could sense it immediately. I could feel the acid rising to my throat within 10 minutes and my stomach started bloating. I didn't have the bloating before, but it sealed the deal that milk was the problem here.

While this doesn't mean I can eat anything I want (I won't be eating curries and fatty food, still, I'll practically keep the same diet because I don't want to ruin how good I feel) cutting out milk has made such a HUGE difference. My fatigue when speaking is diminishing by every day, sore throats in the morning are starting to go away and I'm not as hoarse as before.

So I just want to say to all of you who are dealing with reflux, consider allergies/intolerances a possibility. Try cutting out ALL milk for three weeks (it is pretty hard in the beginning) and see how you feel. Here is a guide for what you need to cut out, and you need to learn to start reading labels properly and asking at restaurants/diners for EVERYTHING you eat, even if it doesn't have milk on the menu, they might have rubbed it with butter or fried it in butter:

[url]http://www.*****.com/allergies/guide/milk-allergy[/url]

I don't have rash or any of the severe allergic reactions so I don't have to live in fear either as much as people with severe allergies. I'm just very catious that I don't get milk in my system if I can do anything about it.

I'm sure at least a handful on this board have the same problem as me because I really didn't believe in it when my doctor proposed it. I'm still on nexium 20mgx2, so you might need some meds to manage anyway but it makes such a huge difference. Just make sure you don't give up during this trial period. it takes three weeks for the milk to get out of your system, so you need to hang in there even if you don't feel the difference after a week.

Last edited by towersteel; 06-05-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #63
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Tower,

That is SO FANTASTIC ... I am so happy that you have found relief - I know you were suffering quite badly.

Thank you for sharing - I am going to try this as well.

I wish you continued health.

Vanessa

Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #64
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Very happy for you tower! That is super news! I think it is great advice. I know that I am pretty much allergic to dairy. I think I will be stricter about it and see if it helps me feel better too. I love hearing that you feel so much better!

Old 06-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #65
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

thank you for your well wishes Yes if you know you are sensitive to dairy, cut it out!

It's just a lot easier to control now. However, its quite a difficult switch in lifestyle. I'm finding it really tricky to eat out. cooking at home isn't difficult, its just about reading the labels. I ate out yesterday and said I was allergic to milk, however, it was fried in butter. My price: reflux all night! So you really have to specific with what includes milk: butter, cream, creme fraiche, sour cream, yoghurt, cheese etc. or a lot of them don't quite get it. But I'm sure I'll get used to it as time passes.

Let me know how it goes for you! Hopefully you'll see as big of a change as I did.

tower

Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #66
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

tower,

I am very happy for you! Identifying the underlying cause of a problem is often the toughest part.

I have a question. How does your doctor explain the ''sudden'' onset of this allergy? Haven't you been using dairy products all your life? What causes these types of allergies? One would think that an allergy to a substance should manifest itself much earlier in life - such as in the early childhood. Do you think that the allergy to dairy products might have had hormonal or digestive origins?

flowergirl

Old 06-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #67
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

hello flower!

I'll get back to you with more answers after the doctors visit on Wednsday. I'm gonna need a lot of questions to be asked - this being one.

I have had some gastro problems that were unexplained in the past. When I was about 5 I had various problems with my stomach that never quite were diagnosed properly. I am a very healthy person generally but I've always had stomach problems. Then about 3 years ago I had to go into the ER because I had huge stomach cramps. Also this was undiagnosed, they blamed it on constipation (which it showed not to be in the end). I think all of this together with my reflux (which is a common symptom of milk allergy, at its worst state you throw up) led him to believe that it could be a milk allergy.

I have read up quite a bit on the allergy, and though most people are born with it, you CAN get it anytime in your life. Just like with any allergy. It can also take a bit of time until the symptoms are evident enough to cause you problems.

Note that I am not saying throw your acid reflux out the window, because I still haven't. All I am saying is that milk could be the culprit to your acid reflux and that you should try to eliminate it if you are suspicious.

I have had diary all my life, so I was also a bit surprised at how much of a difference eliminating dairy has done. Like I said, I'll get back to you again after the Wednsday appointment. The findings of the ENT and my recent reflux episodes when accidentally ingesting milk has really confirmed for me that I won't be including dairy in my life anytime soon.

tower

Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #68
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your reply. I have been wondering if any of the meds I take might have affected my metabolism enough to trigger a new allergy. I think it's possible. Perhaps the digestion and absorption of nutrients is affected by the drugs, leading to increased blood glucose and cholesterol levels, electrolyte imbalances and other problems. Thanks for you update.

FG

Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #69
    towersteel
    (male)

towersteel HB User

I was gonna report from the doctors visit: It was really nothing to report! he just confirmed that I should stay off dairy, so it seems it wont be part of my life anymore.

I am better and better for each day, I just hope it stays this way!

I'm curious as to how it went for you TEdwards as you said you pretty much had an allergy to milk. report back when you've been off it for 3 weeks!

Closed Thread