It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Do i have Acid Reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
    roger222
    (male)

roger222 HB User
    Angry Do i have Acid Reflux

Hello.

Three weeks ago when i was travelling on the bus my throat all of a sudden closed up (I could breath, but not too well) i had to get off the bus and walk home in which i had a panic attack because of my throat (which my gf helped me by taking my mind off things on the phone)

Three weeks later (today) i'm sitting at my PC with breathing problems which i seem to get about two/three days a week, the thing is when i've ate or drank, my throat feels really tight, i find it hard to breath and have to take tablets for my indigestion, WHEN i finally burp, i seem to get quite a few burps in a row (7 - 10) and sometimes i feel a blood taste in my mouth (although i've been told it might be acid)

Could my breathing problems be caused by the fact that i have Acid Reflux but i have indigestion at the same time? causing it to hurt my throat (which it does =[)

I also suffer from mild heartburn and i have a feel that either my throat is really tight sometimes (most of the time because i'm worrying) or there is something stuck in my throat which is making it tight.

Also, it only seems to happen at night time, BUT, the thing is, when my mind is taken off the problems i'm having e.g. spending a night with my girlfriend, i can get to bed without any throat problems, won't have burping problems, doesn't feel like anything is stuck in my throat, but soon as she isn't there it starts again?

Another thing thats been happening, sometimes when i yawn at night time when i'm really tired because i can't get to sleep because of my throat, i feel a tight feeling in my throat (even tighter than usual, which makes it hard for me to swallow and makes me continually swallow otherwise i stop breathing, it feels like a tug just like the tug you feel in your throat when you hiccup)

Any help will do!

Last edited by roger222; 04-13-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
    Kellir
    (female)

Kellir HB User
    Re: Do i have Acid Reflux

Only a doc can diagnose it. Stress/anxiety/panic ALL make it worse and cause it to happen thats why you feel better when youre distracted.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
    roger222
    (male)

roger222 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kellir View Post
    Only a doc can diagnose it. Stress/anxiety/panic ALL make it worse and cause it to happen thats why you feel better when youre distracted.
    Thankyou for your quick reply.

Sure, i know only a doctor can diagnose it, but i'm just wanting to know if these seem like the symptoms of Acid Reflux, i don't really want to go to my doctor and tell him it might be Acid Reflux and for him to say No.

With acid reflux you seem to burp alot, but with me it's the opposite, i can't get my burps out which puts pressure onto my chest, when i do finally burp it's then when about 8 other burps come out.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
    Kellir
    (female)

Kellir HB User

You dont have to burp alot to have acid reflux. Yep those can be symptoms of it. I would go ask your doc about it.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Roger,

Breathing problems and throat tightness can both be symptoms of GERD/Acid reflux. If the indigestion tablets seem to help than you may be on the right track thinking its reflux.

Have you been tested for asthma? Could the bus fumes have made it hard for you to breath.

I am right now trying to figure out if I have asthma, GERD, or both - I have severe breathing problems. I do not cough and I do not wheeze. I do have acid reflux - I get tight chested and tightness in my back. It is ALWAYS so much worse at night and when sitting down.

Lately I have noticed that strong smells bother me BAD (perfume, hairspray, chemicals) - starting to wonder if the acid has damaged my nose and throat or if I really do have asthma too - so I am just so confused about what is going on ???

Have you found any answers yet?

Good luck.

Vanessa

Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    I am right now trying to figure out if I have asthma, GERD, or both
    I just wanted to say I am on the same boat, trying to figure out WHAT is causing my shortness of breath. I feel it is stomach, NOT asthma related. I feel pressure of sorts in the stomach with my shortness of breath (even right now, sitting here typing). Could our posture (sitting) be contributing to the SOB?

Quote:
    Lately I have noticed that strong smells bother me BAD (perfume, hairspray, chemicals) - starting to wonder if the acid has damaged my nose and throat or if I really do have asthma too - so I am just so confused about what is going on ???
    The strong smells bother me also! Sometimes enough to make me feel ill and upset my stomach. Often, the lump in the throat will start itching terribly, making my eyes water when I get a whiff of a bad smell. These strong smells trigger an instant reaction in me and cause me to choke/cough and my eyes water. If you ever find out the reason, would you PLEASE post it? It would be so nice to have some answers. Sorry to hear your breathing is worse again. I hope it will go back to what it was previously - improved.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-14-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
    romanticheart16
    (female)

romanticheart16 HB User

I was diagnosed with acid reflux not 2 long ago and have had asthma in the past (but thankfully cured) and can pretty much say that you would know if you had asthma trust me. Although having acid reflux in my case gave me shortness of breath on occasions the asthma symptoms I used to have are very different

--this can vary from case to case but basically asthma is tightness of the chest and you cant breathe you feel like your running out of air and you cant control it, acid reflux if it gives you short breath you can control the breathing and there is no wheezing involved and once your food has digested you can pretty much breathe again. I will also add that asthma is not triggered by food unless you are allergic to the food otherwise food doesn't contribute only factors such as pollen, mold, weather changes, animals, etc. With acid reflux every time I would eat overeat even if it is a salad doesn't necessarily have to be a fatty food I would get shortness of breath and feel overstuffed im assuming it was all the acid going up my esophagus.

about the acid ruining your throat or nose one way you would be able to tell if
    your at a more chronic stage of acid reflux is that your teeth would have white spots on it from the acid eroding them--be careful though if you have used teeth whitening this test would defeat the purpose!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I have gone through all of the symptoms that's ever been posted on this board. Have known (finally) that I have GERD and more so LPR now for over 10 yrs. I have heard all the reasons for symptoms (that I wouldn't have ever imagined had anything to do with my stomach) but "still" while in a flare wonder what the heck is going on. I'll think I pretty much have it down if it's allergy related or GERD but then can't figure out for the life of me what brings it on? I know diet plays a big part and for me STRESS will do me in good. I even feel the weather plays a part. With every inhaler prescribed to me, I don't feel I have true asthma although I'll be so short of breath, I'll think I can't take another step. I can promise that over time this acid reflux crap can do a lot of damage and change things. I used to have the problem of having such a strong smell and fathom smells but now can't smell much of anything and then it's not the right smell. I also have a pearly white smile because of 35,000 dollars worth of dental implants from acid wearing the enamel away on my teeth. The only "good" thing I can think about being sick with GERD/LPR was losing 50 lbs (but then again that could have been the stress from divorce I was going thru that I think made me sick in the first place!) Oh, and I've gained a bunch of wt back now. I usually have no problem eating anything now and figure I might as well eat what I want since it doesn't seem to matter. The GERD is not so complicated and you have a much better chance of controlling or even getting well. Truly, I don't think most Dr's have a clue what's going on with the LPR symptoms, which are much harder to control and I don't think there is a cure. Remission but no cure. Don't mean to get anyone down because I promise you do have better days than others and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that meds actually help.

Charla

Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Romantic Heart,

I was diagnosed with asthma 5 years ago - though it was always very well controlled until I developed silent reflux which has no turned it to LOUD reflux

At times my GERD/ACID will get so bad I cannot tell whether it is asthma or acid because I get more than just short of breath. I get a super tight chest for hours - sometimes days at a time - and the rescue asthma medications do NOTHING TO relieve it and I am gasping for breath. I have gone to the ER SURE that I was having an asthma attack - NOPE, treated for acid episode.

I have never wheezed with my asthma - not even when it was really bad - not every asthmatic wheezes.

GERD makes my chest and back EXTREMELY tight and it is hard to draw breath in or out for me. At times I get esophogeal spasm which can also mimic an asthma attack. Then again though my GERD has been quite severe lately and non-stop lately - something I have never experienced before. I also am getting hoarse and losing my voice from it.

Its just not so simple for me - and the GERD definitely exacerbates my asthma because the acid splashes back over into my lungs. I am hoping if I can get the GERD under control then my asthma will go back to being well controlled to. Here's hoping anyway!

Char,

I am so sorry for what you have suffered - I am SO GLAD that you have not lost your voice in a while - that is so AWESOME

Vanessa

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
    romanticheart16
    (female)

romanticheart16 HB User

the reason i mentioned wheezing is because if its getting as bad as you say you are when you are needing to go to the hospital then--if it was an asthma attack you would most likely have wheezing involved.

if your having esophogeal spasm which I also got and the doctors told me it was possibly IBS irritable bowel syndrome, because when your stomach works too much or not at all, you would know because you would either go to much or not go for several days...this can be misdiagnosed and hopefully you dont have this. I can relate to you on this many people think that acid reflux is something you can live with but daily activities such as exercising and eating can make you feel sick. Acid reflux also causes bad breath and thats another symptom that can separate it from asthma.

I would get back pains on occasions and thought I was just tired but if your not going to the restroom like the average person does this can contribute to the pains. I also loose my voice and its frustrating sometimes and I sound like a lil boy on his puberty lol but stay positive.

im pretty sure you know what the diet consists of but ill go over some of the simple diet you can take to eliminate this: absolutely no tomatoes/ketchup, NO ALCOHOL--this makes it really bad, no fatty foods but dont make your life miserable by this just dont eat fast foods instead cook at home hamburgers that way you can have control on the amount of oil going into the cooking, no orance juice--weird but this also has alot of acid. ill post more of this tips if needed when i can remember them all

this might sound fictional 2 you but instead I hope it inspires you because it has changed my life dramatically..i have been through it all colonoscopy, ultrasound, you name it i finally decided to try other forms of doctors for i was desperate. Went to a doctor that is certified to read your iris or the eyes (not sure if there is one by where you live but ask def. worth it) and have been following the treatment took about two months to work but its def. gotten better and i feel much better.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

What sort of treatment are you on?

I do not drink nor smoke, I eat an INCREDIBLY healthy diet (lots of veggies, fish, nuts, fresh fruit, whole grain bread, yogurt, etc.) - I only drink water (gave up soda, juice, coffee, etc.) occassionally I will have some Chamomille tea - but usually just water about 12-14 cups per day. I maintain a healthy weight for my height (5'3 128 pds). Also I am very regular, have never suffered from IBS or constipation.

Also about 2 months ago I went on a strict GERD diet that I had read in a book (Healing Acid Reflux) removing all the foods that you mentioned and then some. It has not really helped all that much - but maybe given more time it will (I really miss tomatos and onions

I am currently taking the PPI Prevacid once per day and I take Flovent two puffs twice daily for my asthma. I actually think that the Prevacid is causing some of the back pain and esophogeal spasming as I did not have that until I started the Prevacid - perhaps a medication side effect?

The Prevacid helps a bit but not nearly as much as I need it to - so I have decided to try a nautral method. I began taking a good quality Probiotic and am also going to start taking aloe vera juice to see if that helps.

Yeah - my Drs. have a tough time with me and my asthma cause I'm not a wheezer But when it hits they can definitely tell even without the wheezing!!!

How did you find relief from your GERD?

Thanks!

Vanessa

Old 05-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
    romanticheart16
    (female)

romanticheart16 HB User

okay i found the card from my doctor and if your looking for a natural remedy here it goes i also suggest that you dont get off any medications until you see a significant change for asthma is very serious!!! the doctor i went to go see is called an Iridologist and some people think its a scam but whatever i can vouch for it, for it has changed my life in the lil time I have been using their medicine. Iridologist treat almost every type of disease possible and not many believe but its worth a try right?? they have to be certified as a natural health professional so look out for that as well....treatments can range from 100-150 dollars and the medicine last about approx. two months, depending on your condition it can take up to three treatments...i needed two treatments but i only went to one for $money reasons and im currently of any medication for the acid reflux big difference in my life since the medicine for acid reflux was causing me to doubt my existence it made me sick, nautious, constipated, pains, very hungry at times but now glad that i opted for the natural remedy instead. hope this helps...since you have might have asthma the process can take longer but dont give up hope i almost did...you have two conditions i only had acid reflux but ill tell you this its far better to only have one condition that suffer from both.....

the diet your following is great keep it up for the iridologist will tell you to keep away from all those foods...on another note while i was on the treatment i was forbidden to eat any fast food or processed food. be prepared to alter your lifestyle for some months but hey know i can eat as i please i dont follow a diet still dont eat tomatoes and onions but i dont let it bother me for i would rather not have acid reflux.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I have gone through all of the symptoms that's ever been posted on this board. Have known (finally) that I have GERD and more so LPR now for over 10 yrs. I have heard all the reasons for symptoms (that I wouldn't have ever imagined had anything to do with my stomach) but "still" while in a flare wonder what the heck is going on. I'll think I pretty much have it down if it's allergy related or GERD but then can't figure out for the life of me what brings it on? I know diet plays a big part and for me STRESS will do me in good. I even feel the weather plays a part. With every inhaler prescribed to me, I don't feel I have true asthma although I'll be so short of breath, I'll think I can't take another step. I can promise that over time this acid reflux crap can do a lot of damage and change things. I used to have the problem of having such a strong smell and fathom smells but now can't smell much of anything and then it's not the right smell. I also have a pearly white smile because of 35,000 dollars worth of dental implants from acid wearing the enamel away on my teeth. The only "good" thing I can think about being sick with GERD/LPR was losing 50 lbs (but then again that could have been the stress from divorce I was going thru that I think made me sick in the first place!) Oh, and I've gained a bunch of wt back now. I usually have no problem eating anything now and figure I might as well eat what I want since it doesn't seem to matter. The GERD is not so complicated and you have a much better chance of controlling or even getting well. Truly, I don't think most Dr's have a clue what's going on with the LPR symptoms, which are much harder to control and I don't think there is a cure. Remission but no cure. Don't mean to get anyone down because I promise you do have better days than others and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that meds actually help.

Charla

Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
    clasact1956
    (female)

clasact1956 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
    Hi Roger,

Breathing problems and throat tightness can both be symptoms of GERD/Acid reflux. If the indigestion tablets seem to help than you may be on the right track thinking its reflux.

Have you been tested for asthma? Could the bus fumes have made it hard for you to breath.

I am right now trying to figure out if I have asthma, GERD, or both - I have severe breathing problems. I do not cough and I do not wheeze. I do have acid reflux - I get tight chested and tightness in my back. It is ALWAYS so much worse at night and when sitting down.

Have you found any answers yet?

Good luck.

Vanessa
    I was told that Acid Reflux can cause Asthma. I may have it. Will know soon when I get my results back from the pulminologist. He told me reflux causes all sorts of problems.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, you went to a Dr. that knows what he's talking about.

Char

Closed Thread