It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Does not enough your stomach cause GERD as well?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
    matty_boston
    (male)

matty_boston HB User
    Does not enough your stomach cause GERD as well?

Hi all,

I heard alot about using apple cider vinegar which I think is done when you don't make enough acid in your stomach. If so, does this cause GERD as well? How so?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Re: Does not enough your stomach cause GERD as well?

It's suppose to really help. I have been using it on and off. I don't think it will cause any problems, I think it will only help. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

ACV is one product used as a holistic approach for prevention of GERD. (not to mention it is good for you anyways, especially the kind that has the 'mother' in it.)

holistic remedies often take the opposite approach of what you would think would be effective. the PPI's of western medicine reduce acid, so why would adding more acid in the form of ACV be helpful?

well, the theory is that adding acid will help digestion by either supplementing the acid you're already making on your own, or, your stomach 'senses' there is already enough acid there, so it doesn't have to make as much. i'm not a naturopath, but that is the gist of it from what i've researched.

i'm sure ACV would not 'cause' GERD. lots of people have GERD and i'm sure very few of them, if any, drank ACV regularly before developing the problem.

ACV doesn't work for everyone. it seemed to be working for me very well for quite a while, then suddenly the GERD was back one day. i took a PPI for a while, then stopped and now i'm trying sweetish bitters which so far seem to be working well. some people say barley grass drink is helpful too. personally, i'm trying everything holistically possible cuz i think PPI's should be a last resort.

hope that helps!

Last edited by scoot; 07-03-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Scoot I have to agree with you. I am adding all natural remedies and trying to get off the ppi's if I can. The doc says long term use can deplete my calcium. It's a fine line. So I am using the silver spray orally, the mint/papaya chewable tablets, the food enzyme capules before each meal and I watch my diet pretty strictly. It is helping, but I know I am not cured. Don't know if I will ever be. I may just have to watch it. If anyone has other great natural therapy tips please list! Thanks!

Closed Thread