It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Muscle Spasms & Esophagus: Related To Reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Muscle Spasms & Esophagus: Related To Reflux?

I have minor cerebral palsy and it has effected my speech somewhat. I had no problems with eating and chewing. I have just been a slow eater all my life, currently 31 years old.

However, just these past few years, one bout of choking on my food, led to a couple more in a matter of months. Now, I just feel like sometimes, food get stuck in my throat. Could be that my tongue weakened a bit, don't know, but it is not a common thing with cp anyway.

But, on the other hand, there are times that, even after meals like peas, sauce, pizza, I do feel a slight clogging in the throat area. Or a tickle of some sort, and some times a lump. Now the lump sensation I haven't felt in a while, which led me to believe it may be psychological than anything else.

However, looking back, I do remember that there are times when I would choke on just drinking water, or even taking pills would be a problem, only because, due to my CP, I tense my muscles sometimes, or feel like its a muscle spasm in the troat, and it feels to me that the act of swallowing feels as if I'm swallowing something hard like rocks!!

My question is, could this act of swallowing have made a damage of some sort in my esophagus? It does not happen often, but when it does happen due to muscle tension, it feels like I'm swallowing rocks. Could it have started damage on my esophagus, that might in turn be the beginning of acid reflux? I forgot to ask the doctor this, and a barium swallowing test came back normal. But does muscle tension cause esophagus problems/swallowing in the long run?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Re: Muscle Spasms & Esophagus: Related To Reflux?

Sounds like the typical stuff we are all dealing with, with acid reflux. The symptoms can vary day to day for me. And flare up with certain foods. I am craving a coke REAL bad and have only had one or two since May. UGH! Have you trying over the counter meds for it?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Re: Muscle Spasms & Esophagus: Related To Reflux?

Actually, no. Only because I just haven't had it bad. I don't get heartburn, indigestion, or any chest pain. I just feel a slight discomfort in the throat and it typically goes away. I always that it was me not chewing my food right, though those choking bouts really scared me. I just stick with soft textured food. So you think it's some sort of acid reflux, huh?

Closed Thread