It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• constant nausea taking over life

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
    nance484
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nance484 HB User
    Unhappy constant nausea taking over life

i have IBS, i thought it was just that. but i feel nausea everyday. before it was in bursts, i could eat ok, it just came in waves. recently though ive had heartburn that goes right through my back and down my arms, i took rennies and it helped a bit.

now though for the last 3 weeks ive had constant nausea, this happened about a month ago, ive only had a week break inbetween of my' usual nausea'. i feel awful. lying down helps, and i stayed in bed for 25 hours thinking i had a stomach bug as my ibs had given me diarreha also. but when i bend over sometimes i vomit in my mouth, food sometimes just comes up. ive spent the past few days in a constant feeling my throat closing over and have kept my jaw firmly clenched shut. i cant eat solid food really, i cant open my mouth wide even to hold something in it without gagging and heaving. when i roll over in bed i feel about to vomit and riding in a car is becoming something i dread because i only get worse.

my job involves lifting things about, climbing up and down stairs and stuff, i find movement makes me worse, i feel like im on a waltzer. i cant seem to vomit only gag and heave. it feels like my stomach is upset in the centre right between my ribs at the top and im queasy. if i press it i get a sudden wave of extreme nausea and begin to gag, i cant bare to even rest my hands on my stomach or lie on it. i hate that horrible feeling of heaving and gagging so much it actually feels like your throat will be forced up or youll turn inside out

i feel hungry but cant eat really,its more hassle than its worth and to be honest i have little appetiete. ive been drinking water all day, pro active drinks and sucking on grapes, i have to practically liquify my food before i swallow. today ive eaten a handful of grapes and two rice crackers that just disolve in your mouth so i could swallow it.

i have been off sick to many times im getting in trouble because i simply cant walk about without feeling like im going to hurl. earlier even the thought of something in my throat had me gagging.

i got diagnosed with acid reflux and am on some pills beginning with O. i was wondering how to combat the nausea, what foods are easy to eat and digest. any tips, im new to this although its been going on for months. any tips id be grateful. i used to sports and stuff, now even climbing the stairs i feel overwhelmed with nausea. please help,thanks xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
    nessie01
    (female)

nessie01 HB User
    Re: constant nausea taking over life

hi
    i have neasuea as well. i find that my miracle food for me, well not a miriacle as i have heaps and heaps of reflux symptoms but raw honey helps my throat and helps me with neausea........prob helps to alkalise the acid i guess..........anyeay worth a try....make sure its raw honey, organic if you can get it.somehoney is heat treated and it loses alls
    its benefits like enzymes, minerals and antibacteral properties

Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
    nance484
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nance484 HB User

hi, thanks for getting back to me. yes gravityis definatley a big factor! if i bend over it feels like my insides will spill out my mouth. i havent had my gallbladder checked or anything.

whyat does a hernia feel like. when im lying down if i press anywhere between bellybutton and in between my ribs its to tender, not in a pain sort of a way, i feel sick and i dont know what it is, it feels hard because i unintentionally tense up a bit. it is worse on the left side though i think slightly. ive also notice tilting my head up or looking up at someone makes me feel sick also, like my throat hasnt enough room to breath and feels nauseas.

i was looking down my throat to see if i cud see the problem, i gag, when i gag those two bits at the back that close over, there is holes in both sides-is that supposed to be there, its just one hole seems bigger than the other and it just looks like a messy job as if my tissue rotted a bit. does everyone have that and im just being overly conscious of my throat feeling like this?

ive been on pills for just 3 days, i feel no different. how long do they usually take to work?-if they do at all?

thanks, xx

Old 08-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Checking your throat won't help much. You need a doctor to do that for you. They know what to look for. You sound as if you could use a visit to the doctor's office!

The hernias give a feeling of fullness, plus the nausea. There is some tension when things get tossed around during certain unplanned movements. I will have to be careful about the way I move, until they are fixed, and after they are repaired, since I am positive I will have no desire to undergo a similar surgery again. You might have a hiatal hernia and not know it. They are quite common and often harmless with few or no symptoms.

FG

Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
    Chantal231
    (female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi,

I too am dealing with nausea.

It goes away for a few weeks then comes back with a vengeance.

I'm also having hormonal issues (menopause) which makes it worse.

Like you flowergirl I too have a hiatal hernia which makes things worse. I also have IBS.
    I do a lot of burping and have that feel of a lump in my throat which the Dr says is from the hernia.

Also, when I get some waves of nausea I feel heat radiating from my stomach like a hotflash. It's very weird.

I just started omeprazole today that my Dr recommended. My insurance won't pay for other drugs until you try some of the cheaper ones first.

Nice to "see" you FG!

Chantal

Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Chantal,

I wish you luck with your new medication. I am on the same boat hormone-wise- all sorts of things going on, none of them good. I wish we didn't have to go through this. The hiatal hernia is usually left alone and ignored, as long as it does not cause too many symptoms. If it causes aspiration of stomach acid into the lungs, they will fix it. I've had mine for some time and lived with it. I now have another one of a different type right below it. It bulges sometimes. I wonder if all the coughing and choking from acid reflux might have caused it. I do not usually lift heavy things. I should be getting a third opinion shortly as to whether or not an immediate surgery is required. I have some other GI issues as well, caused by who knows what.
    It is always nice to talk to you, too, Chantel!!!

P.S. The doctor I just saw tends to think the hernia should be fixed. He fixes them and offered to do mine. I've sort of left it open, and said not now. I feel really sick to my stomach right now. The only relief I get is when I lie down, and the feeling I am about to throw up goes away. I sure hope this is not a sign of things to come!!! I am leaving for holidays tomorrow. I don't want to spend the week being sick to my stomach and not able to eat.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-18-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Adding P.S.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
    nance484
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nance484 HB User

hi, thanks for the replies. i have another problem im calling my doc in the morning about.

its been weeks, and as of last week i couldnt stomach any real food. ive lived off crackers and squashed fruit and multi vitim drinks and water. tonight i decided to try hot food, when i start eating it eases the nausea a bit, i ate a chip(fries). now it is curently makiing its way slowly back up my throat. for a while my stomach, in the middle has becoming hard. when i lie down and press it, it feels hard and makes me feel a wave of nausea. tonight i look pregnant and my stomach has swollen a bit and become very hard. i wanted to go to the gym today but i simply couldnt jump about to do any excertion without feeling like ill vomit, just nedning over makes m feel sick or like its all coming up.i have not lost any weight bizzarley, if anything i feel ive put on wieght. i slaso am on omperazole-but nothing has happened yet, i feel no better.

also, all week ive been needed to go to pee slightly more, i feel pressure quite a lot yet when i go it takes ages to happen but i still feel the pressue building up-is that to do with it?
    any ideas why my stomach should be so distended. i also keep getting random throbbing sharp pains in the middle of my stomach slightly to the left, ive had that for a while but have assumed its IBS. does acid relfuc cause stomach distention? im really worried about all this as im only 20.

please help xx

Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
    Chantal231
    (female)

Chantal231 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    Chantal,

I wish you luck with your new medication. I am on the same boat hormone-wise- all sorts of things going on, none of them good. I wish we didn't have to go through this. The hiatal hernia is usually left alone and ignored, as long as it does not cause too many symptoms. If it causes aspiration of stomach acid into the lungs, they will fix it. I've had mine for some time and lived with it. I now have another one of a different type right below it. It bulges sometimes. I wonder if all the coughing and choking from acid reflux might have caused it. I do not usually lift heavy things. I should be getting a third opinion shortly as to whether or not an immediate surgery is required. I have some other GI issues as well, caused by who knows what.
    It is always nice to talk to you, too, Chantel!!!

P.S. The doctor I just saw tends to think the hernia should be fixed. He fixes them and offered to do mine. I've sort of left it open, and said not now. I feel really sick to my stomach right now. The only relief I get is when I lie down, and the feeling I am about to throw up goes away. I sure hope this is not a sign of things to come!!! I am leaving for holidays tomorrow. I don't want to spend the week being sick to my stomach and not able to eat.

flowergirl
    Hi again FG,

I'm sorry you are feeling so sick right now. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

As for surgery I've opted to wait as my Dr told me they are not always succesful because the hiatal hernia reverts back. All that pain for naught. Of course I don't want to live like this either for the rest of my life so I hope I can manage it with meds.

I wish for you a happy and nausea free vacation. Isn't the reglan helping today?

Chantal

Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Chantal,

I took Reglan as usual (4x a day). I think I got sick because the hernia had been poked and prodded and it got shifted somehow. It feels like a big hard lump, more so than usual. I am much better already. Perhaps it just needed to settle down.
    This is the type of a hernia that has to be repaired. There's stuff coming out under the skin. I think they'll leave the other hernia (hiatal) alone. I'll ask when the time comes-it might make sense for the surgeon to check out this one as well, if they do an open (not laparoscopic) surgery.

Thank you for your concern! I am looking forward to the trip. Talk to you guys when I get back in a week!!!

flowergirl

Closed Thread