It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Does anyone have a cough along with their GERD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
    Soniarose59
    (female)

Soniarose59 HB User
    Does anyone have a cough along with their GERD?

I have had a chronic cough since January. I have seen the Dr. twice for it and he assumes it is allergies. Also had a negative chest x-ray.
    I have read that a cough can be associated with GERD, which I have. Does anyone else have this or is it uncommon? Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Does anyone have a cough along with their GERD?

Hi Sonairose,
    Typically my only symptom of reflux is just my chronic cough.

According to my doctor, and the research I have done on the internet, there are four main things that typically cause a chronic dry cough:

I have all of the above. For me it took finding something that works for all at the same time.

As for the acid reflux causing the cough, it is certainly a possibility and more common than most people know. It took me off guard when I was first diagnosed years ago because I always assumed that the cough was a result of just the allergy and sinus problems I had. It took treatment for the reflux and the tests that followed for me to realize just how often my cough was caused by reflux. By the way, my chest x-rays have been negative as well. I usually end up getting them done several times a year because of my cough. I have times when I can't tell what is flaring to cause the cough--the reflux, asthma or an infection. I have the same coughing symptom for all.

I would suggest talking to your doctor about this. There are also some good OTC reflux medications that you could try first.

Other things to try: modifying your diet--no spicy; low fat; avoid chocolate, caffiene and carbonation; no tomatos or citris, etc... (There are some good threads on here that are more specific.) Sleep on a wedge or raise the headboard of your bed 6-10 inches. Sleep on your left side. Wear loose waistbands. Avoid excessive bending.

As for allergies, have you had any allergy testing done? It would be good to confirm if you have allergies. Immunotherapy has helped me tremendously lately.

Last edited by MountainReader; 09-06-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
      Soniarose59
      (female)

Soniarose59 HB User

Thanks for the good suggestions Mountainreader and wuzup. I haven't been tested for allergies but that may be the next step. It is probably a combo of both.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
      YASMINSEALY77
      (female)

YASMINSEALY77 HB User

hi with your cough do it get bad by the end of the day i wake up cough alittle than i am fine untill dinner time than i think i need to cough but it like i have feling like air siting on my chest but when i take meds it goes away

Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
      Soniarose59
      (female)

Soniarose59 HB User

Yes, it is like that. Worse as the day goes on.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #6
      YASMINSEALY77
      (female)

YASMINSEALY77 HB User

hi than that is acide reflux i am going to doctor on monday to change meds a nurse told me to try cimetidine

Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
      CharBerry
      Senior Veteran
      (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

You have "no" idea of a chronic cough. I have coughed and choked my head off for 10 yrs. It took a long time for me to get the right diagnose but meds aren't helping so I'm seeing a surgeon next month. He might not be able to help me either. It took me by total surprise that my stomach being so messed up caused my coughing. I wouldn't have ever thought it. I would lose my voice for months at a time and lost 50 lbs. Everyone thought I had cancer, including me! The meds help my GERD part but I also have LPR and nothing seems to touch it. Hope you have some good luck!

Char

Old 12-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
      Vicky LB
      (female)

Vicky LB HB User

Hi, I have coughed for almost 3 years daily but not at night. I feel short of breathe and feel like someone is sitting on my chest. I have recently been diagnosed with acid reflux. I don't have the typical heartburn but can feel acid in my throat sometimes. They put me on Prilosec but am considering trying apple cider vinegar..I know how you feel with the coughing. I am at the end of my rope.

Closed Thread