It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• PPI dosage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
    Kassie29
    (female)

Kassie29 HB User
    PPI dosage

Just wondering if there is anyone taking more than 40 mg of a PPI per day? If yes, did you find it much more helpful?
    Kassie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: PPI dosage

I took Prevacid Solutabs 30mg x 2/day for about 3 years. It worked better than anything else I had tried. After 3 years, it stopped being as effective. Before that, I was on a single dosage of PPI that worked for a few years.

I tried Nexium x 2, Aciphex x 2 and Zegrid x 1 & x 2 after the Prevacid became ineffective. Zegrid helped a bit, but isn't covered by insurance. The others didn't help and actually made my symptoms worse. Right now, I am looking at the surgical option since the PPI's aren't working well.

Based on my successful 3 years, I would definately recommend at least trying the double dose PPI to see if it would work for you.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I took 2 40 mg of Nexium per day for years (on and off). I totally went off this week since the Dr. I saw said it was not doing me one bit of good because I never had heartburn. Been on all the others over the years and thought the same thing. All that money wasted......

Char

Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
    nessie01
    (female)

nessie01 HB User

have tried 2xprotonix 2xprevacid in the last three months and now trying 2x20mg of losec (proselic)......i am also seeing a surgen as well to get tests done etc, so far the meds have helped alot with my stomach pains but not with LPR, if i can get operation it wont be until after xmas, that way i will have haolidays to rest and also would of given the PPI a good 6-7 months chance, i also do not want to be on Meds forever as im 37 so that would be like taking meds for another 40 years or so........i have had stoamch issues for years so i cant see it spontaneously healilng lol...........anyway enough about me, everyone has got to try things to see what works or dosnt work for them and it also depends how long one wants to suffer for, me personally not long as i have a busy life to lead and i miss my occasional glass of wine!!!!
    nessie

Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
    suki1724
    (female)

suki1724 HB User

I'm on protonix 40mg twice a day and I'm having stomach pain and trouble sleeping, I just switched from prevacid 30mg twice a day.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
    Kassie29
    (female)

Kassie29 HB User

Thanks for all your responses. I am not sure what to do. My ENT prescribed Nexium 20 mg, 2x per day. My GI (that I saw subsequent to seeing the ENT) ran tests -- endoscopy with two biopsies, 24 hr pH test, manometry, ultrasounds -- and said he sees no evidence of GERD and that I could stop taking the meds. But I still have this chronic sore, tight throat. I have another appointment with the ENT next month so will see what he says when I tell him the results of my GI tests. I might try taking 3 20 mg pills for a few days and see if that makes any difference.
    Kassie

Closed Thread