It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anyone with hunger pain?!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
    londoner70
    (female)

londoner70 HB User
    Anyone with hunger pain?!!

NOt sure exactly how to describe this pain, but this is a new symptom, as well as LPR symptoms, and stomach burning, for the past few weeks I have been having these strange feelings, aches in my tomach which I feel like when I am eating I am ok, but the strange hunger like pain is back as soon as I stop eating.
    Hate this feeling, and it is scaring me. I just saw my 3rd gastro this year whom I thought is going to at least do an endoscopy, but he said since he knows my previous doctor, and the fact that I had the endo just in April, he will not do any tests?!! I had a lot of hope with this guy since my ENT who diagnosed me with LPR referred me to him, and said that this GI is a strong believer of relationship of stomach issues and LPR.
    Well he did nothing for me?!!!

Please advise if hunger pains are also common, have had a really bad year, and just need reassurance.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
    shrtcak81
    (female)

shrtcak81 HB User
    Re: Anyone with hunger pain?!!

Me too!! I'm glad I'm not alone. I have hunger pains before, during and after I'm eating. I have no clue what causes it. I have heartburn and a burning stomach as well. These symptoms started back in January with me and haven't gotten any better. I have almost all the PPIs and minimal results and I'm very discouraged. I'm going to see a GI tomorrow to rule out ulcer and gastritis, although I think if I had those things they would have cleared up by now because of the PPIs I take. Right now I'm taking Aciphex twice a day. It helps, but I still have to take Zantac and rolaids on top of it. I'm only 27 and feel I'm too young for this sort of problem. There is only one more PPI to try, Prevacid. If that doesn't work I'm really afraid of what will happen. What have you been diagnosed with?

Crystal

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
    londoner70
    (female)

londoner70 HB User

Hi shrtck81,

My symptoms started almost 13 months ago, and are definitely not any better, I am on nexium 40mg twice a day.
    I have been diagnosed with LPR, and gastritis, but there is nothing they are willing to do for me. I am concerned as even with 80mg of nexium I suffer daily from range of symptoms. One day is my throat that horrible feeling of lump in the throat and tightening of the throat(due to LPR), my stomach burns on a daily basis, the hunger feeling, and ofcourse the constant stomach burning stabbing pains.
    My ENT said you can't carry on like this and change your GI, so he referred me to one that he works closely with, I went to see him last week, but he wasn't even willing to do another endoscopy. He suggested amitriptylyn which is an antidepressant, and he said it is not because he thinks I am depressed, but because due to some nerves, or something they can help.
    I told him I was on amitrptilyn 10mg for my migraines, and I was still suffering, and he said then try higher doses, his second option was to do another PH-metry test, but the one which measures other stuff, not just acid going up.
    My ENT said PPI stop acid, but when you reflux you could be refluxing other stuff like fluid, and enzymes that can damage your larynx and throat.
    I will not take the antidepressant, and will definitely go for the 2nd option.
    I know how I feel, and feel the pains, and there is no way I believe that an antidepressant will help.
    I do not want a quick fix, like you I believe I am too young(38, much older than you), to let this go on.
    Do your symptoms get worst around your periods?!! because that is what I have noticed, and that is one of the questions that this GI asked me.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Yeah, it's like having an ulcer and even though hurting seems to feel better if you eat something. If that makes sense. I get that nawing feeling at times. Antidepressants haven't helped me in the least with my stomach or even the depression of being sick. Many say they do though. I'm afraid I'm addicted to Xanax now to calm me thru the reflux spells. I think I have a lot more than just acid causing my LPR and suregeon did say bile and others can cause worse symptoms since PPI's don't do a thing for that. I just pray that surgery is the answer for me.

CharBerry

Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
    londoner70
    (female)

londoner70 HB User

My problem is that the ph-metry test results were not too negative for them to refer me to a surgeon, but the ENT said you really need the impedance manometry test.
    In the UK there are apprently only couple of places which offer this test.
    I am going to say no to the antidepressant, since I can't believe they would stop you reflux. I believe if there is a physiological problem which is causing all this rubbish to find it's way to my throat, there is no antidepressant which is going to stop it, so I guess the impedance manometry is my next choice.
    If you are going to have the surgery done, make sure you do your research as who is the best in the field, good luck,and wish you all the best, and relief from your symptoms.I know from your posts that you have been suffering for a long time, and enough is enough, you deserve to feel well, all the best

Closed Thread