It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Are these common symptoms for Acid Reflux? I feel worried.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
    Tricia2007
    (female)

Tricia2007 HB User
    Question Are these common symptoms for Acid Reflux? I feel worried.

Hi everyone,

Progressively, I have been having bad bloating, burning in upper stomach, a lot of gas, and burping. I had a scope last spring so I kind of have it narrowed down to Acid reflux. There were no findings and I was wondering, can you have an endoscope and it not show that one has acid reflux? I told the doctor my symptoms ( they kind of went away and then came back ) and after my consultation he said to go ahead and stay on Nexium. I asked him, you mean, indefinitely? And he said yes. I did stay on it. I thought I could control it and now I don't think I can.

My questions are: Are my symptoms common and typical for acid reflux? ( I was up all night last night. I had pasta yesterday for dinner, with Red Pepper tomato sauce, salad and some spicy-type crackers. ) I woke up with my stomach on FIRE! Is this a symptom? I just feel so worried and am a nervous person. I mean, can the burning last throughout the night and into the next day? Isn't my food digested by now? Or is that not the issue?

And my last question is: It does not look like acid refux goes away on it's own. Is this true? And does acid reflux typically show up on an endoscope?

Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks so much.

Tricia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
    Kassie29
    (female)

Kassie29 HB User
    Re: Are these common symptoms for Acid Reflux? I feel worried.

Hi Tricia
    Those all sound like symptoms of an acid problem. It takes the body more than 24 hours to fully digest a meal. I always thought it only took 3 to 4 hours, but I read on acidrefluxconnection.com that it really takes much longer. I too had an endoscopy that showed no evidence of acid reflux, but yet I still have the symptoms. I also had a 24 hr pH probe and manometry tests, and even those showed no abnormalities. One doctor told me that some people are just very sensitive to acid so even if you are refluxing an amount that is considered "normal", for some people that will be enough to cause them problems. I just stopped my Nexium a few days ago to see if it makes any difference in my symptoms. I was taking 40 mgs per day, and didn't find it helped all that much. My symptoms are more LPR (throat) symptoms now rather than regular GERD. Everything I've read says that acid reflux won't go away on it's own. Once you have it, it's a chronic condition. Sometimes it will be better than other times, but it will be there. Many people can control it by staying away from the forbidden foods and losing weight, but for others, it will be a life of medication or just living with the effects. I was hoping for a "cure" too, but after a year, still haven't found it.
    Kassie

Old 10-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Tricia:

Your symptoms do sound like acid reflux. Reflux itself doesn't usually show up on an endoscopic exam, but the damage from more severe reflux does. Doctors can do a pH test to measure the presence of acid (but it typically involves wearing a probe that is placed in your esophagus for 24 hours).

Severe acid reflux doesn't go away on its own (but just about everyone has some reflux - heartburn - at one time or another), but there are things you can do help manage it without medication.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Does it depend on the reason that you have acid reflux? I'm almost positive that taking NSAIDS even intermittently over the past month has caused my most recent burning symptoms. I had an ulcer that healed completely and didn't have any problems up until last week because of restarting the NSAIDS.

gcsmithhr -Do you mean that this reflux never goes away once you have as in it can't be cured with or without medication?

Last edited by taape; 10-04-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    Do you mean that this reflux never goes away once you have as in it can't be cured with or without medication?
    That's not what I meant at all. Everyone has some acid reflux - caused by eating certain things, taking other medication, etc. For the most part if you have minor, occasional acid reflux it may flare up every once in a while but should return to normal after a few hours or days.

Severe acid reflux doesn't usually go away on its own but there are things that you can do to minimize the episodes and impact of more severe acid reflux (dietary changes, sleeping on a slant, not eating for 2-3 hours before bed, etc.) without medications. Medications don't usually "cure" acid reflux either, they minimize the production of acid and keep the symptoms manageable for most people.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks for the clarification. I hope what I've got now clears up.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
    artemis77
    (female)

artemis77 HB User

Re: I have eaten NOTHING but plain bananas and plain potatoes for the last 3 months
    I really sympathize with your situation, after years of peptic ulcers, GERD and IBS. I discovered an amazing natural remedy, Neutrel wafers, they are made from honey and fibre and don't have side effects or clash with medications. I'm in better health now than I was 10 years ago thanks to Neutrel, they are easy to take and since using them I no longer suffer from indigestion, ulcers, IBS etc..I can eat and drink what I like. I can't recommend them highly enough, you can buy them online. I hope you find this helpful

Last edited by artemis77; 10-05-2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo

Old 10-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
    Tricia2007
    (female)

Tricia2007 HB User

Thank you all so much. I am going to start taking Prilosec today and see if it helps some. I am wondering how instrumental STRESS is in possibly triggering acid reflux, or even causing it? I have had a considerable amount of stress lately. Does anyone notice stress as being a factor in any way?

I know what you mean! I am ready to stick to bananas and potatoes too! I am trired of waking up in the night ( is night waking common? ) and need to get some relief!

It is nice there is a health board so everyone can know they are not alone. Does anyone know how common Acid Reflux is?

Take care everyone, and thanks so much.
    Tricia

Old 10-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
    Tricia2007
    (female)

Tricia2007 HB User
    Question Re: Are these common symptoms for Acid Reflux? I feel worried.

Hi everyone.

I had an endoscope on Tuesday. The Dr. told me I have GERD and to take the generic prilosec. ( the one that starts with an O.. I don't have it in front of me ) The test showed I have stomach erosion. Is this GERD? I asked if it was an ulcer and he said, "no". Is Acid reflux the same thing as GERD? I have so much bloating. Is this normal with GERD? I feel so depressed. I have never had too much trouble with my stomach and now this! I am thankful it is nothing worse, but it is getting me down. I feel so much bloating at the top of my stomach and it seems to go around to the sides.
    Is this normal? And why is this causing so much bloating?

Tricia

PS. I was so drugged when the Dr. was explaining everything to my husband and daughter, I could not ask him these questions. They said the only thing I asked him was.. is this an ulcer?" But I don't remember a thing!!

Tricia

Old 10-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #10
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The test probably showed that you have an esophageal erosion (not a stomach erosion). The erosion is the result of stomach acid irritating the lining of your esophagus and causing small sores (erosions).

The erosion is not GERD, but it is caused by GERD.

Acid reflux and GERD are not the same thing. Everyone has a little bit of acid reflux at times, typically causing temporary symptoms like heartburn, that can be resolved in a few hours or days. With GERD the acid reflux becomes chronic, happening at least a couple of times a week.

The bloating you feel may well be inflammation from the esophageal erosion - the tissue that is irritated swells and your body begins producing excess mucus to protect the areas that are irritated (lots of people experience bloating as a result of the medications they take for GERD but it's not usually a primary symptom of GERD).

Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
    mfs202
    (male)

mfs202 HB User

there is nothing to worry. the causes are hurry, worry, and curry. take medicine advised by ur doctor and avoid the above three things. bye take care. dont worry it is common

Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
    mfs202
    (male)

mfs202 HB User

dont worry it is common. you manage this problem with three simple things. avoide hurry, worry, and curry. bye take care no worry

Old 10-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
    tealilly
    (female)

tealilly HB User

I've been experiencing flairs from my acid reflux for the last few days. I already know I have GERDS. I've had it for five years now since I've had my gallbladder removed. I've had the occassional flair, but nothing to really talk about. These last few days though, I can't figure out what caused it to flair except that I've been under a bit of stress the last few months due to a bladder infection that wouldn't go away and had to take antibiotics four times. I'm wondering if the antibiotics have something to do with it. I hate the feeling of the burn in my throat and chest. It lasts only a few seconds at time, but I end up taking an anxiety attack almost each time. I went to the doctor the first day of the flair, not even realizing that it was acid reflux and thought I was having a heart attack. The doctor didn't even mention acid reflux himself. He's only been my doctor for a year and I'm not even sure that past history is in his system. He told me that I had a panic attack and that my symptoms were from that and not a heart attack. The next day I was fine. This morning i woke up with the same feeling, but noticed that I had sour taste in my mouth and was burping up liquid. I took some antiacids and I started to feel better. The thing is that once I eat again, it starts up. I used to take NEXIUM, but someone told me that they read somwhere that NEXIUM wasn't to be used for a long period of time. I don't know how true that is, but I got scared and stopped using it. Like I said I didn't have too many flairs in the last five years, but now I'm wondering if I should prevent any future ones by going back on it. Any suggestions?

Old 10-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
    conanld
    (male)

conanld HB User

I have an acid reflux problem too, and it has been bad enough to pit and wear the enamel off of my teeth in places!

I asked my doc about going off of the NEXIUM, and he said that was a bad idea unless my symptoms were gone. There is a very real danger of Berrett's disease and esophagus cancer with untreated acid reflux.

LD

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tealilly View Post
    I've been experiencing flairs from my acid reflux for the last few days. I already know I have GERDS. I've had it for five years now since I've had my gallbladder removed. I've had the occassional flair, but nothing to really talk about. These last few days though, I can't figure out what caused it to flair except that I've been under a bit of stress the last few months due to a bladder infection that wouldn't go away and had to take antibiotics four times. I'm wondering if the antibiotics have something to do with it. I hate the feeling of the burn in my throat and chest. It lasts only a few seconds at time, but I end up taking an anxiety attack almost each time. I went to the doctor the first day of the flair, not even realizing that it was acid reflux and thought I was having a heart attack. The doctor didn't even mention acid reflux himself. He's only been my doctor for a year and I'm not even sure that past history is in his system. He told me that I had a panic attack and that my symptoms were from that and not a heart attack. The next day I was fine. This morning i woke up with the same feeling, but noticed that I had sour taste in my mouth and was burping up liquid. I took some antiacids and I started to feel better. The thing is that once I eat again, it starts up. I used to take NEXIUM, but someone told me that they read somwhere that NEXIUM wasn't to be used for a long period of time. I don't know how true that is, but I got scared and stopped using it. Like I said I didn't have too many flairs in the last five years, but now I'm wondering if I should prevent any future ones by going back on it. Any suggestions?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
    little nanny
    (female)

little nanny HB User
    Red face Re: Are these common symptoms for Acid Reflux? I feel worried.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tricia2007 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Progressively, I have been having bad bloating, burning in upper stomach, a lot of gas, and burping. I had a scope last spring so I kind of have it narrowed down to Acid reflux. There were no findings and I was wondering, can you have an endoscope and it not show that one has acid reflux? I told the doctor my symptoms ( they kind of went away and then came back ) and after my consultation he said to go ahead and stay on Nexium. I asked him, you mean, indefinitely? And he said yes. I did stay on it. I thought I could control it and now I don't think I can.

My questions are: Are my symptoms common and typical for acid reflux? ( I was up all night last night. I had pasta yesterday for dinner, with Red Pepper tomato sauce, salad and some spicy-type crackers. ) I woke up with my stomach on FIRE! Is this a symptom? I just feel so worried and am a nervous person. I mean, can the burning last throughout the night and into the next day? Isn't my food digested by now? Or is that not the issue?

And my last question is: It does not look like acid refux goes away on it's own. Is this true? And does acid reflux typically show up on an endoscope?

Tricia
    It seems to me you are eating food which is too spicy and should eat plain food without any sauce. Hope this helps. Granny jan

Closed Thread