It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

pregnancy and chest pains

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
missypregnant
(female)

missypregnant HB User
pregnancy and chest pains

Im 5 months/3 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing constant chest pains. They come and go. I had to go to the ER in July because I woke up with stabbing left sided chest pains but all showed OK at the hospital. I've been trying to notice if they are after I eat or not but they are all the time. My doctor said it could be acid reflux. I just want to make sure it's not heart related. They sometimes go into my neck and high part of the shoulder. Truly I have been having chest pains for years now but it just seems to be getting worse over the years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
lroberts21
(female)

lroberts21 HB User
Re: pregnancy and chest pains

hey there,i had really bad chest pains while i was pregant as well & then after i had her they got worse.i went to the heart Dr & they said probaly acid relfux & he heard unusual sounds such as Gallbladder spasms??? I have been Missed Dx for the past year now & was just told i have chairi malformation which is supposely whats been causing all of my problems.Do you have any other symptoms along with the chest pains??

Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
missypregnant
(female)

missypregnant HB User
Smile Re: pregnancy and chest pains

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts21 View Post
hey there,i had really bad chest pains while i was pregant as well & then after i had her they got worse.i went to the heart Dr & they said probaly acid relfux & he heard unusual sounds such as Gallbladder spasms??? I have been Missed Dx for the past year now & was just told i have chairi malformation which is supposely whats been causing all of my problems.Do you have any other symptoms along with the chest pains??
No the only things that I'm having are left side only chest pains, never on the right side. They sometimes go into my neck and shoulder. I had my gallbladder removed last year which seemed to ease the pains for a while but now they are back as ever. I've been to the heart doctor a few years ago and did stress test, etc. The only thing they said was that it was probably acid reflux, GERD and they did say I had a leaky valve. I've been wondering if maybe a leaky valve can cause all these problems. I just don't want to keep assuming it's acid and gas and maybe it could be a blockage or heart related. Thanks for replying back to me. Have a great day.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
hmlyn04
(female)

hmlyn04 HB User

i can't say that you are going through the same thing as me but i have to tell you that i had very similiar issues 12 years ago while i was pregnant with my oldest dd. i would continually get the worst pain of my life in my chest and it would shoot up to my shoulder or around to my back. my ob kept telling me it was heartburn and that i really needed to stop overreacting to it. well eventually after the 4th ER visit, a resident found out it was my gallbladder. the pain is extremely similiar to a heart attack and it is supposedly very common in pregnant women. i say "supposedly" because i never read or saw anything about it but was told constantly that it was common.

anyway, i would seriously ask your doctor to maybe at least get an u/s of your gallbladder just to rule it out. the pain started with me in my 4th month and wasn't diagnosed until 6 months and i eventually had such bad attacks that i had emergency surgery at 27weeks pregnant.

i hope that you get some relief soon but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. good luck! : )

Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
missypregnant
(female)

missypregnant HB User

Only thing is I did have my gallbladder removed already since last year. Can you still have the pains though it's gone? Thanks and have a great day.

Last edited by missypregnant; 10-07-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
hmlyn04
(female)

hmlyn04 HB User

sorry but i didn't see that post about you already having it out. i have had experiences with similiar pain since the surgery and i've heard it happens a lot. does it feel the same as your previous gallbladder attacks?

sorry, i don't know what else it could be. : )

Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
missypregnant
(female)

missypregnant HB User

Actually it's just chest pains, no attacks at all. I just keep getting chest pains daily on the left side in the exact same spot of my chest. Would acid reflux be in different areas in the chest or just the left side? That's what I keep wondering. Why are all my pains only on that side and never on the right. Doesn't gas travel all over the chest also. I don't know but I'm just waiting for the day I keel over with a friggin heartattack. That's all I worry about daily. Thanks so much for responding and concern.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
hmlyn04
(female)

hmlyn04 HB User

well i'm sorry i don't have more answers but i can tell you that if you are nervous and worried, talk to your OB about it and see if you can have any tests done. even though you're pregnant, i think they can still do an upper endoscopy. it's gross to drink the stuff but it would at least rule things out.

the only reason i'm saying to keep asking your doctor is because of my story. my doctors kept refusing to listen to me and wrote me off as a nervous pregnant mom-to-be over and over again. it was maddening to me and so emotionally exhausting. when i found out there was an actual problem, i felt so vindicated and realized that i knew my body and knew something wasn't right.

good luck to you. pregnancy is hard enough without any complications! is this your first? : )

Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
missypregnant
(female)

missypregnant HB User

Actually no this is my second child. I'm 39 and my daughter is 7 1/2 and now I'm expecting at the end of January, which all is going great with the pregnancy. I went to the doctor yesterday. The baby is still breech but looks like another girl, so I'm happy for that. I'm sure my husband would have liked to have a boy but Oh well, this was the last shot at it. LOL--I'm having my tubes tied at the same time of the section. I try not to worry that much about it, I just keep thinking I would never want to leave my children. I don't want anything to happen to me but at the same time I just keep saying it's gas/acid reflux and put it off. I will keep monitoring it and see if it gets any worse, if it does then I will make sure someone finds out what's going on. Thanks so much for the concern. Have a great one.

Closed Thread