It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• sharp stabbing pain in left abdomen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
    nance484
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nance484 HB User
    Unhappy sharp stabbing pain in left abdomen

i have ibs and acid reflux. ive been trying my best with probiotics and i only eat wholegrain bread and pasta when im eating carbs and stuff, i sleep more regularly and eat more regularly, i try my best to get to a gym a few times a week but its difficult, i have depression, im at college and working also and dealing with other physical problems, but i do my best. i avoid caffeene also.

a few days ago i got that familiar feeling of like i was kicked in the stomach by a horse, i thought it was ibs, i spent several days in pain with random searing pains, its sore but bearable. then one night i woke up with a red raw throat, those balls at the back of my throat were swollen and it felt like i was going to swallow them. i drank a lot of water and tried to hold cold things in my throat.

then once again i got the sharp stabbing pains. i only get them every so often but theyre so random, they can come at any moment, and diappear just as fast.

it is so sharp it causes me to drop things like plates and stuff if im washing up or something. i will bend over but i cant make it go away on its own. it hits right under my left ribs, and actually feels like its the bottom of my stomach organ. its very sharp, like squeezing or tearing, it is not gas, it feels solid and burns slightly.this has happened three times or so in the last 2 days.ive had this for a while-why does this happen.

i should add, that after it happened, i stupidly decided to drink red bull(THEE WORST idea for anyone who has IBS or acid reflux!), i had work for class and needed to stay awake, i took it and once again ended up with a bad stomach ache, its painfull to press on my stomach then, at times it gives me diarrhea. but after this i siffered very painful chest pains just to the left of my sternum, it felt like someone digging a sharp metal object into me. i then got the left sided stomach pains.

right now my thoat feels very dry and prickly, it gets sore at night sometimes. i can usually tell when my reflux starts up because if i tilt my head back i feel like im going to throw up, also movement or sleeping on my stomach makes me feel very very sick and sore-but this time i dont have that.

what are these random stomach pains? is it still just acid reflux?? its so sharp it unerves me sometimes just. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i have vowed to not take energy drinks, it is the only caffene i take though if i take any at all.

please help, xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
    CarRamRodhaha
    (female)

CarRamRodhaha HB User
    Re: sharp stabbing pain in left abdomen

OMG You just described what I have.

Yeah I believe it may be acid reflex, I remember for about 5 months my throat was so hot, not sore but so hot that I was drinking ice water so often. I had to stop drinking alcohol, coffee and soda because the heat and bubbles would just make it so much worse.

Than I was talking with a lisp for 2 months and could hardly breathe. And I too have that sharp pain on the left side of my stomach. Like ware my belly button is, all on the left side up towards my ribs to my lower stomach theres a pain.

My DR gave me some prilosec, but doing research on my own it sounds just like a gestural intestinal problem, I mean Ive had it for about 8 months now its getting old fast I'm just going to tell my doc to do whatever test so he can get rid of it, I see him in a month.

Don't worry (0:
    It sounds just like that darn reflex thing.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
    Rivershore
    (female)

Rivershore HB User
    Re: sharp stabbing pain in left abdomen

Ok. Sounds like you have a lot of stress factors in your life! And the problem is that pain can make you stress out which causes more pain in the stomach. I have had stomach pain most of my life. It finally ended up with an ulcer and I took donnatol for years as needed- nothing else helped. WHen it flared up I had to make sure I ate normally, got plenty of rest. That stabbing pain - I felt like I'd been shot in the stomach with an arrow! My new gastro guy said that while I have really had ulcers, sometimes the stomach can actually go into a spasm for some reason (like IBS but just the stomach) and that can REALLY hurt also. I actually laid down and when I rubbed my stomach area it did feel all tight and knotted up. Knowing that did help, but still the pain. Finally had a gastroscopy and it showed a lot of acid damage in my esophagus- really bad. If it goes on I could get cancer. He put me on prilosec right away and I have been pain-free since nearly day one. However, I do get constipated from it!

Closed Thread