It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid Reflux w/o Heartburn Possible?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
    HansBooby
    (male)

HansBooby HB User
    Acid Reflux w/o Heartburn Possible?

I had random bloating, stretching feeling mainly on the upper right abdominal area (the area to the right of the sternum and slightly below). I also had these sharp aches like someone punched me or really bad heartburn but they were off and on. I also hav this choking sensation around the adam's apple right at the end of the lower jaw and around my lymph nodes (the ones underneath the back of my lower jaw). My doctor prescribed me famotidine and after about 5 days or so my stomach for the most part feels normal, but I still have the choking sensation and I don't know if this is my throat or my lymph nodes but my lymph nodes sometimes feels irritated (like a stretched, stinging feeling) and it seems it sometimes causes ear pressure/ache. I sometimes have forehead, eye pressure and feel fatigued/nauseated but then it just gets better after a while. One thing that has been constant is the burping here and there. And that's also sometimes what my choking feeling feels like.... like when you have to burp and that gas is caught in your throat. But I haven't had any heartburn after my stomach settled down.

So can my symptoms be due to acid reflux even though I have no heartburn?

Last edited by HansBooby; 10-25-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux w/o Heartburn Possible?

Yes, it is possible to have acid reflux without heartburn. In particular, a form of acid reflux called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) that is called "silent reflux" because you can have it with none of the traditional symptoms like heartburn.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
    tim budd (10-28-2012)
    Old 10-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
    HansBooby
    (male)

HansBooby HB User

So can LPR cause the symptoms I've been experiencing?

Old 10-26-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It can cause many of the symptoms you're experiencing. The most common symptoms of LPR are: hoarseness, throat clearing, a lump in the throat sensation, chronic cough, postnasal drip, trouble swallowing, and excessive mucous.

People have slightly different symptoms so it's hard to say that all of your symptoms are LPR-related but what you describe is pretty common for folks suffering from LPR.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
    HansBooby
    (male)

HansBooby HB User

My most chronic symptoms have been the burning/stretching/swollen feeling of my lymph nodes accompanied by fatigue and slight lightheadedness due to the fatigue. I just want to sleep. Can stress/anxiety over something be a trigger that starts LPR? I never had the kind of abdominal pain/bloating I had, but it's for the most part gone and so I thought once that was gone that I'd be ok. I've been stressing that I caught Hep C from a sexual encounter I had, so I don't know if these symptoms are Hep C, mono, or acid reflux. I would think it's acid reflux since the choking and burning lymph node feeling coincided with my abdominal problems, but then since the burning/stretching and sometimes swollen lymph nodes persist along with fatigue that makes me wonder if it is acid reflux/LPR, since the lymph nodes are only affected when there's an infection. I'm confused.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
    caplogger
    (female)

caplogger HB User

I have had stomach problems (IBS) and bouts of acid reflux with the feeling in the throat that you describe. After suffering for about 15 years, I accidentally tried a diet that was gluten-free and found that all of my symptoms disappeared. I used to have extreme fatigue , bloating, gas, burping and joint pain. There are many causes of acid reflux, but it can't hurt to try going gluten-free for a week or two and see if you feel better. Be Well!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
    HansBooby
    (male)

HansBooby HB User

What's a gluten-free diet? Is that no sugar or something else? The weird thing is, I stopped taking medication (famotidine) on Sunday night and then the next day my swollen lymph nodes, ear pressure, lightheadedness were all gone and i felt very clear and aware but then my stomach was very gassy and bloated through the whole day. Now today, the swollen lymph nodes, ear pressure, dazed, sometimes nauseous feeling are back, but then my stomach bloating and gassiness are gone. Is that normal?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 AM   #8
    caplogger
    (female)

caplogger HB User

Gluten is the protein found in wheat, barley and rye products. It is not an easy diet to follow, but a week or so should tell you if that is causing your gas and bloating. Unfortunately, I am not sure about the swollen glands. That I would speak to an MD about. HTH. Be Well!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I personally never have fatigue with acid reflux, maybe some people here do I don't know. Mono is a good one for fatigue something to think about since you have had a sexual encounter that could produce that! a lot of those symptoms can be from reflux to. I've had the lymph nodes swell and burn but I found out it was from night time acid sitting in the throat. Symptoms vary from person to person so having it checked out wouldn't hurt.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
    HansBooby
    (male)

HansBooby HB User

Well I just found out I'm hep C negative so that's obviously good. I don't think it's mono because I haven't had a fever or the sore throat, plus I haven't been extremely fatigued. It's more of a lightheadedness because my ear pressure is probably causing imbalance, but I will see how things are since I just got my negative result. Maybe a lot of it is worry-related.

Closed Thread