It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• I have been diagnosed with LPR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
    tcass25478
    (male)

tcass25478 HB User
    I have been diagnosed with LPR

I have LPR. I take Prevacid every morning. When I get into any stressfull situation I can barely swallow. Talking on the phone is extremely difficult. I am constantly trying to clear my throat and trying to swallow. I've tried restricting my diet as per Doctors orders. This is really getting frustrating.
    Any thoughts or ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Re: I have been diagnosed with LPR

Just curious, how do stressful situations affect you? Do you "think" you can't swallow at that moment? Do you have a feeling of s/th being stuck/or lump-feeling at the moment? I'm just curious from a psychological point of view.

What led to your diagnosis of LPR? Unhealthy diet?
    I'm asking because I am suffering s/th similar to LPR, I started choking on food about 4 years ago, and during that time, even to now, I feel a sudden discomfort in my throat after certain foods/beverages , and I have been very stressful these last four years about other things going on in my life. I wonder if there is any relation between the two.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
    tcass25478
    (male)

tcass25478 HB User

A doctor diagnosed the LPR. Coffee, tea, orange juice, tomatoes, alcohol and stressful situations all lead to this very unpleasant "lump in the throat" feeling. It's difficult to to swallow. Wish there was a "quick fix". Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
    marky1956
    (male)

marky1956 HB User

Unfortunately there are no quick fixes, or ANY fixes for that matter. All we can do is try to minimize the symptoms. I do not have heartburn, which is more of a GERD symptom, but I have a constant sore throat, constantly clearing my throat, and constantly coughing up a thick flem, especially in the mornings. I try to take Nexium every day, but I forget more times than not. I love my coffee, and know I shouldn't drink it, but I do. LPR is a royal pain in the butt, but we just have to try to deal with it the best we can. GL with it.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
    hiyati
    (female)

hiyati HB User

Newbie here- also just diagnosed with LPR. After a botched back surgery, which the breathing tube was in my throat over 6 hours, i stopped breathing and had to be revived. When i woke up, i was told i would have a sore throat for a few hours. 10 days later i had to cancel my follow up as my voice was still gone. Went to the ER, the Dr. looked at me, prescribed pennicillin for tonsillitus and sent me on my way. 10 days later, still no better, went to family dr. Did a strep test and put me on anti-biotics. Again. 5 days later, no change. Back to Dr. By this time, i had no voice, just a raspy harsh sound, i could not breath from coughing all the time, was blacking out from lack of oxygen and sleep deprivation, and had this HORRIBLE lump in my throat. Family Dr. says adult onset asthma... puts me on steroids. No help. Now, i love my dr; he's been my dr for 28+ years. But i was getting frusterated with the weekly visits. After a week on steroids, still no change, bak to the Dr. from coughing so hard i have pulled a muscle in my diaphram. Cough syrup, cough suppresants, and pain releaver. The coughing stopped, the abdominal pain and throat problems didnt. A friend of mine, who happens to be studying to be a Dr. asked me to list ALL my symptoms, reguardless of how little they may seem. Poor guy didnt know what he was asking, did he? (LoL) But i gave it to him, and he sent back a report on something called LPR. I took the report to my dr, who was none to pleased at my "outside research" and sent me to an ENT. She slid a thin camera down my nose, said she could see a "clear racing stripe" and pronounced LPR. She put me on previcid and said to check back in a month. I shudder to think of how much orange juice and lemonade i drank, thinking it was a virus and the vitamin C would flush it away. Now im thankful for these message boards, and to know that others are going/have gone thru the same thing. It means alot to me to know that its not in my head. Thank you for reading my ramblings. =)

Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User

Come to think of it, I pretty much lived on lemonade for 10 years!! I'm currently 32. I just had an onset of choking bouts, one after the other, and I was under the impression that it might be m y tongue weakening? I have very mild cerebral palsy, which effective my speech as well. I'm very clear, its just poor breathing has really effective my speech. Someone has once told me I sound similar to one who is hard of hearing

Anyway, I was very traumatized by my choking bouts. Went for a barium swallow test, which came out negative. I guess that test proves more if you have swallowing disorders? I'm not quite sure, but the doctor did not further any test - pretty much told me i'm fine.

Now, LPR, not quite sure if this causes you to choke on foods. As the previous posters agreed, juices are to be avoided. However, I can't! What I do is I just water them down - half water, half juice.

But things I used to love - sandwiches, pizzas, steak, even salads, I choke on. I only eat ground meat. I just can't explain it - It all started suddenly.

I haven't drank lemonade for three years now, but orange juice, these juices with mixed veggies and fruit, V8, and such, all these I drink and I water them down.

I'm really upset over this, and if indeed it is LPR, and not a weakening of the tongue, then it can be dealt with somehow. Needless to say, stress has been at its height for me since this nightmare began.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User

I just wanted to add that my diet consists of ground meats (3x a week), lentils (2x), some pasta, peas, shredded carrots, beans, peanut butter, hazelnut spead, some bread, bananas, fruit usually in smoothies, yogurt, tuna, fish (2x) of all kinds...however I have not seen much improvement. I think I might be ten pounds under normal, and, yes, still drink coffee with extra milk. I eat a lot of diary too....I know its to avoided, but I cant help that.

Closed Thread