It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Please please help!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User
    Please please help!!!

Well I went back to my doctors and she switched meds for me, trying Nexium now but have been on it and not seen a difference. I am going for a barium swallow in 2 weeks and I am so nervous its making me sick. I don't have any friends anymore cause no one wants to listen to me. I am not trying to be self centered, just need someone to listen to my fears and such, I thought friends are suppose to be there for the good and the bad..sigh. Its so weird how this started. I gained a lot of weight over the past year and maybe that is how it started. It begun in August with just mild hoarseness and my ears being blocked, and one side of my nose blocked all the time..and I went to doctor right away and she said maybe cause i was congested and I had x-rays of my sinus, and then special e-rays for the sinus and stuff. Only came back that I had a deviated septum. I also have liquid in my middle ear for months now. Then more symptoms started, the regurgitation of food(when I bend over stuff comes up but it does not taste acidy) and stuff and the worst..the sore throat on one side. Its so bad I cant stand it. I think I have throat cancer cause I do have pain radiating to the ear now all the time. I hate being scared like this. I keep going back to my doctor and she keeps saying its acid reflux!!! Just like that. She looks in my throat, feels my throat and says all looks fine. I use to feel a lump in my throat and mucus but someone told me the mucus is covering my voice box so that it can heal. I don't know what it is anymore. When I wake up that is when its worse. some times the pain in throat stops for the rest of the day. I do not have trouble swallowing. Its the throat pain and pain in ear now that is freaking me out as I know this is not a symptom of LPR or GERD. What are the symptoms that you folks have?? The funny thing is, I know the more research I do on the internet the more scared I become, its not good that I do this, yet I keep doing it. Looking for answers..I think a lot of us do that. Well if anyone can answer or talk to me I would appreciate it so much. I also want to know if this is LPR or acid reflux like my doctor thinks, how come the symptoms are not going away?? I have been on Nexium for 3 weeks now and was on ompre something for 3 months. The only thing that I noticed with the Nexium is that I am not bringing food and liquid back up anymore, but the throat and ear and all that is the same. Edit: I guess this was too long since no one replied, lol..sorry to bother anyone just wanted to have some answers.

Last edited by Kasianni; 01-04-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Re: Please please help!!!

Dear Kasianni, don't worry...you aren't saying anything different than what we all have here. The same kind of symptoms. It doesn't mean you have cancer at all. I know we all think the worst. We shouldn't but we do.

I have reflux and those symptoms too. I can't get rid of the constant mucus. Sometimes I have pain that radiated in the throat to my jaw and up into my ears. I think it goes with the territory. I am under alot of stress and brought alot of this on myself. I put on 30 pounds which I now have gotten 10 off. I know I need to drop this weight. I was eating terriable, and feeling terriable.

I have my first endoscopy this friday. I am scared but I do want to know what is going on in there.

Try not to worry about it. Just do your part to take care of yourself. You will get things figured out one by one. I think our acid reflux takes quite awhile to heal. Hugs!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and answering it. I really appreciate it so much. Good luck on Friday. I am sure its going to be just fine.
    Yes we all think the worst don't we, I know that I shouldn't but I do it anyways.
    I am tired of suffering and being in pain all the time. I never knew acid reflux could be so bad.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    I gained a lot of weight over the past year and maybe that is how it started.
    Weight gain (and being overweight) are a very common trigger for acid reflux, so it's possible that the weight gain is what triggered everything that you're dealing with.

Quote:
    Its the throat pain and pain in ear now that is freaking me out as I know this is not a symptom of LPR or GERD.
    Actually, both can be a symptom of LPR (as can sinus inflammation and sinus pain). When the acid irritates tissues high up in your esophagus, the inflammation can radiate up to your sinuses. The upper and lower respiratory tracts are very closely connected and it's very common for people with LPR to have throat and sinus issues.

Quote:
    how come the symptoms are not going away??
    It takes time (unfortunately). My doc told me a minimum of 2 months but that assumes following all of his instructions (including losing 20 pounds), so between the weight loss and everything else, it may take quite a bit longer.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
    DMBF
    (female)

DMBF HB User

Ginger always seems to bother me in regards to my symptoms. A friend made me awesome ginger cookies for Christmas with what I suspect was fresh ginger-root.....I paid for each one I ate. Everyone is different!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thanks for answering. I swear I felt this is what a heart attack must feel like. It was just intense burning!!!! and it radiated out from the sternum. I wondered if I should call 911. But I didn't have a racing heart. Only from anxiety! I just took some deep breaths and ALOT of Tums! No sweating or other strange symptoms eithor. I just feel scared that I will get another wave of this pain. Now I am actually looking forward to my procedure. I want to know what is going on in there. Finding the right food and drinks is tough. Please anyone help with suggestions. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I'm already on Nexium but when something flares up I will typically take Gaviscon right away to try and keep it under control. If I've had a flare up during the day, I'll often take a Zantac at night too.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User

I have a question...I know that LPR can do damage to the vocal box, well for the past 3 days I have had no pain in my throat, what a relief!! The only thing is that I felt a ball of mucus in the middle of my throat. Tonight I yelled at the dogs to come in the house and had to yell cause they were way in the back yard at the fence. Now, my throat is killing me...why would shouting hurt my throat like that???

Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User

The pain has gone again today, thank goodness. I had been really worried about it, we always tend to think the worse. I thought it was cancer it hurt so much but as a friend explained, if it was throat cancer,the pain wouldn't come and go, it would just get worse and worse. I will know after my barium swallow what is going on. I had wanted to see a ENT but my doctor says to get the barium swallow first. At first I thought it was vocal nodes or something like that because I never have heartburn but seems you don't have to have heartburn with LPR. I don't drink enough water, I will try harder to do that.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-01-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User

Well 2 weeks after starting the Nexium my sore throat was gone and has not come back at all!! I was so happy, one week after that my hoarseness was gone, I couldn't believe it. However, the hoarseness has returned and is freaking me out again. We lost power here and they put of my barium swallow till the 10th of February, like I need to wait longer. Why would the hoarseness come back?? I keep thinking its cancer but my sore throat is gone, I don't get what is going on

Old 02-02-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
    vh90453
    Veteran
    (female)

vh90453 HB User

One of the symptoms you mentioned, bending over and your food came up. I had that along with stomach and chest burning pain. An endoscopy showed I had very mild gastritis, a small hiatus hernia and mild oesophaguses. I'm on nexium which pretty much takes care of it, but as I said mine is very mild.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
    Kasianni
    (female)

Kasianni HB User

Does anyone else here have hoarseness because of LPR??? Please let me know I don't see it as a symptom. Mine comes and goes but has not gotten worse over the months, however it drives me crazy. All the other symptoms and pain have gone but this one

Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I was hoarse for years! I'm not joking either. Not only hoarse but couldn't talk without my voice crackling or going away. It was awful and I was afraid I was never going to be able to talk again. My voice is still not the same but I've only had a couple of bad spells in the last year. I continued to have voice problems no matter what meds I took and I took them all. I was treated for asthma/allergy, GERD/LPR but it was a long time before it was suggested that reflux was causing my problem.

CharBerry

Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
    MeganOB
    (female)

MeganOB HB User

I'm sorry I just joined this and I can't figure out for the life of me how to post a new thread...i'm a little computer slow, so i'm sorry i'm replying to someone else's post to start my own, but i need to ask for help.

Like many of the other posts i've read, i also feel like I have a lump in my throat/swollen throat. I don't have any trouble swallowing or eating foods. I feel like there is constant mucus in my throat that won't go away. I've had post nasal drip for as long as I can remember and have just lived with it, but I feel like this has contributed to my problem now because of the mucus in my throat. It goes through spells where sometimes I don't notice the swelling too much, and other times it almost flares up and it's horrible. I have exercise enduced asthma, meaning that I only have to take my inhaler before I exercise. But now i've been taking it everyday, and I haven't even been exercising at all. And maybe I'm crazy, but I also feel like sometimes my jaw gets really tired and aches, especially if i'm chewing.

I went to an ENT doctor last week and he diagnosed me with acid reflux and gave me Prilosec to take every day 1 hour before dinner. I feel like it's not helping me at all and my symptoms are either staying the same or getting worse. After reading all these posts i'm starting to think that I have LPR, since I have no heartburn and a lot of the symptoms of that, rather than acid reflux. I feel very tired all of the time, probably because I haven't been able to exercise because I'm too scared I won't be able to breathe. I feel like my quality of life is diminishing and i'm scared/sad/frustrated because I just want these feelings in my throat to go away. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think i could have LPR or is it something else? I'm going to see an allergist on Thursday to make sure i'm not allergic to anything I'm eating, and i'm going back to my ENT on Monday for a follow up. I want to nail this thing in the butt by the time I get there.

Thanks for any response!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
    ladysophia116
    (female)

ladysophia116 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
    Well I went back to my doctors and she switched meds for me, trying Nexium now but have been on it and not seen a difference. I am going for a barium swallow in 2 weeks and I am so nervous its making me sick. I don't have any friends anymore cause no one wants to listen to me. I am not trying to be self centered, just need someone to listen to my fears and such, I thought friends are suppose to be there for the good and the bad..sigh. Its so weird how this started. I gained a lot of weight over the past year and maybe that is how it started. It begun in August with just mild hoarseness and my ears being blocked, and one side of my nose blocked all the time..and I went to doctor right away and she said maybe cause i was congested and I had x-rays of my sinus, and then special e-rays for the sinus and stuff. Only came back that I had a deviated septum. I also have liquid in my middle ear for months now. Then more symptoms started, the regurgitation of food(when I bend over stuff comes up but it does not taste acidy) and stuff and the worst..the sore throat on one side. Its so bad I cant stand it. I think I have throat cancer cause I do have pain radiating to the ear now all the time. I hate being scared like this. I keep going back to my doctor and she keeps saying its acid reflux!!! Just like that. She looks in my throat, feels my throat and says all looks fine. I use to feel a lump in my throat and mucus but someone told me the mucus is covering my voice box so that it can heal. I don't know what it is anymore. When I wake up that is when its worse. some times the pain in throat stops for the rest of the day. I do not have trouble swallowing. Its the throat pain and pain in ear now that is freaking me out as I know this is not a symptom of LPR or GERD. What are the symptoms that you folks have?? The funny thing is, I know the more research I do on the internet the more scared I become, its not good that I do this, yet I keep doing it. Looking for answers..I think a lot of us do that. Well if anyone can answer or talk to me I would appreciate it so much. I also want to know if this is LPR or acid reflux like my doctor thinks, how come the symptoms are not going away?? I have been on Nexium for 3 weeks now and was on ompre something for 3 months. The only thing that I noticed with the Nexium is that I am not bringing food and liquid back up anymore, but the throat and ear and all that is the same. Edit: I guess this was too long since no one replied, lol..sorry to bother anyone just wanted to have some answers.
    sinus problems will make your throat & ear hurt. The dr did say you had a diviated septum. I was just told I had acid reflux and hiatal hernia and was put on Nexium. I have been on it for about 2 weeks and dr said it takes a while for it to work. The pamphlet that came with drug said it takes 6-8 weeks

Closed Thread