It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• How can i gain weight with gerd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
    Nauthiz
    (male)

Nauthiz HB User
    How can i gain weight with gerd

Ever since i got sick assuming it was gerd that actually started it, i have lost 40lbs. I am very thin and underweight and i really want to put some weight/muscle back on. I need to eat something like 3000 calories a day but i cant seem to do it anymore. Can anyone make suggestions? It seems like all the high calorie food is usually fatty greasy foods which mess up my stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
    DMBF
    (female)

DMBF HB User
    Re: How can i gain weight with gerd

I didn't lose that much, but the bright side for me has been not having to "watch" my weight. Having said that, I do miss eating all my favourite foods whenever I want.

I would focus on the foods that are higher in fat/calories that are also healthy, and, to my knowledge, ALKALINE forming in the stomach, like Avacado, Almonds, Almond butter, Extra virgin olive oil, flax, whole oats, quinoa, wild rice, soft goat cheese, pure maple syrup......most junk foods, you are right, are acid-forming in the stomach, especially fried foods and sweets. Other foods that you should keep to a minimum are beef, hard cheese, ice cream, sweetened fruit, and peanutbutter!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
    Nauthiz
    (male)

Nauthiz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBF View Post
    I didn't lose that much, but the bright side for me has been not having to "watch" my weight. Having said that, I do miss eating all my favourite foods whenever I want.

I would focus on the foods that are higher in fat/calories that are also healthy, and, to my knowledge, ALKALINE forming in the stomach, like Avacado, Almonds, Almond butter, Extra virgin olive oil, flax, whole oats, quinoa, wild rice, soft goat cheese, pure maple syrup......most junk foods, you are right, are acid-forming in the stomach, especially fried foods and sweets. Other foods that you should keep to a minimum are beef, hard cheese, ice cream, sweetened fruit, and peanutbutter!
    Thanks for the great advice. Do you think eating a significant amount of Top ramen noodles would be bad? its cheap. I know it has alot of sodium but thats ok, i have low blood pressure and can actually benefit from sodium my dr said. Also what do you suggest for protein since i cant eat as much red meat, also that may not be too expensive? Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
    DMBF
    (female)

DMBF HB User

THe almonds, almond butter (or any nuts) are a good source of protein! Very good for you in general (they are considered one of the TOP 10 FOODS TO EAT!!). My chart says that pasta and white rice are fairly acid forming; whole grain pasta is a little less--you can get protein with this as well! Just remember to try to offset anything that is acid forming with things that are less so...so if you eat meat or fish, just have a lot of vegetables with it, but avoid corn and a lot of beans. The best are broccoli, sweet potato, cuke, spinach, kale, bell peppers, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower. I got this information from a health food store by a company that sells green drinks--they "alkalize" your body. I don't think I'm allowed to say the name of the company on this but I've found it very useful in figuring out what is "acid forming" besides what everyone says like tomatoes, spicy foods, fried foods, and chocolate.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
    Nauthiz
    (male)

Nauthiz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBF View Post
    THe almonds, almond butter (or any nuts) are a good source of protein! Very good for you in general (they are considered one of the TOP 10 FOODS TO EAT!!). My chart says that pasta and white rice are fairly acid forming; whole grain pasta is a little less--you can get protein with this as well! Just remember to try to offset anything that is acid forming with things that are less so...so if you eat meat or fish, just have a lot of vegetables with it, but avoid corn and a lot of beans. The best are broccoli, sweet potato, cuke, spinach, kale, bell peppers, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower. I got this information from a health food store by a company that sells green drinks--they "alkalize" your body. I don't think I'm allowed to say the name of the company on this but I've found it very useful in figuring out what is "acid forming" besides what everyone says like tomatoes, spicy foods, fried foods, and chocolate.
    sounds good, i will try to add vegies to each meal. I plan to eat 6 meals 500 calories each to not stuff myself each time.

Strangely enough i eat a blt 2 x a week from ihop after work, which has tons of tamotoes and i have ketchup everything, i seem fine after it. Maybe i got lucky with tomatoes.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
    ArtVanDelay
    (male)

ArtVanDelay HB User

Wow, you seem to be like me. I've lost over 40lbs since I found out I had GERD. No matter how much I would eat, be it small amount or large meal I would throw up. sometimes I would try to re-swallow it but most of the times I would just throw it all up in the toilet. I know that sounds gross but it's the truth.

I needed to lose some weight and right now am at the "perfect" weight for a man my heigth. But I don't know what I would do if I started to lose more and got super thin. I think there are a lot of things that you can do in order to gain weight and it's much more than just eating bad claorie filled food. You can have a pretein shake a couple of times a day and just between these 2 shakes you can get almost 1000 good clean calories and probably almost 100 grams of protein. so that would be the first thing that I would try if I were you.

Good luck

Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
    nessie01
    (female)

nessie01 HB User

hi

havnt read all the suggestions so this may of been said, but get some protein powder and make milkshakes with it with soya or rice milk, add some yoghurt and if you can handle fruit throw some in.............protein powder is low in lactose and is great to bulk up!!!! oh its easy for your body to digest.
    ness

Closed Thread