It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Painful throat, HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
    Painful throat, HELP

Hi,

I have been suffering from a really sore throat on one side of my throat for about 3 weeks now. It doesnt get any better it just stays the same....sore.

I went to my ENT surgeon who put a tiny camera tube thing up my nostril and down the back of my throat. He said nothing going on in throat IE infection, polyps. But he did say he thinks its burnt from acid reflux !!!!

About 3 years ago i was quite overweight and finally decided to go on a diet as i was having really bad acid reflus, it used to wake me in the night and i would be choking with acid in my throat. IT was horrible. When i lost weight it disappeared. I have now put back on most of the weight i lost and its back again, although this time it doesnt wake me up but the Doc thiks its runing in my throat when im asleep and burning my throat.

Im now taking an antacid before bedtime and some omerprazol too, i just started today. my question is:

How long will or does it take for the throat to be less sore?

I can hardly swallow and its getting me down.

PLEASE HELP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
    patricia jean
    (female)

patricia jean HB User
    Re: Painful throat, HELP

Iv'e had a sore throat for 8 years, due to acid reflux...All 8 of the ENT's that I have gone to said there's nothing that can be done...Good luck...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

oh great!!

My Doctor told me very bluntly to lose weight as that made it disappear last time. Mine is literally having a bigger stomach squashing my hiatus area into my ribs so therefore pushing food back up.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I have to agree with the other poster. When I first got GERD/LPR my throat felt like it was closing up and hurt all the time. I wasn't that overweight but lost 50 lbs from being so sick, which left me skin and bones. I continued to have the same problem for years and years. I'm back up again since menopause hit but I can't relate feeling well and having loads of energy like most people say when they've lost a lot of wt. All I can remember is how bad I felt. My symptoms have changed over the years and now it seems I never get a sore throat. It's gone all the way to my sinus now and nothing seems to help. I can't say I follow all the rules but there's day's I can get by and then some I wake up coughing, choking, PND, and so much mucus. I'm sure losing wt would help us all with many different things and of course we should try to maintain a reasonable wt. But, I know lots of skinny gals with bad reflux.

CharBerry

Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
    wellnesseeker
    (female)

wellnesseeker HB User

I have been to ER twice - given breathing treatments and a GI cocktail. The breathing treatments did not work but the cocktail did immediately open my throat so I could swallow. I've been on Prilosec in the AM and Nexium in the PM. Run a cool midst humidifier at night with my head elivated. Sore throat has turned into a desert throat. Generally drinking water moistens it.went to the doctor for the same thing about 8 weeks ago. The acid still gets in my throat at night if my head is not high enough. Sleeping has become the enemy. I am going to try taking enzymes per another post to see if that helps. Can't eat 3 hours before going to bed or the wicked acid overtakes the meds. and I'm am guaranteed to be up all night miserable unable to breath. Hope you get some relief - I am better but still suffering.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

DH and I both have had severe reflux issues in the past. However (and we didn't expect this benefit) since we joined a gym almost two years ago (we go five days a week) the reflux issues have almost disappeared. I pretty much only have a problem now when I have eaten something too fast or am very stressed about something. DH hardly ever has it anymore. We have lost weight (30 lbs. for me and 40 for him) since we started going, but the reflux improved before either of us had even lost five pounds. So, I think not only the weight loss, but the exercise has drastically improved our situation. Just something to think about.

Nancy

Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bio,

thats very interesting, i hate excercise so i wont go to the gym. But as the weather is getting better i will walk more and get outside more. Mine is definetely my weight, i have proved it by losing 40lbs and not having reflux or sore throat. Its just really hard to think that this really sore throat is from stuff coming up and burning it. It all must hapen when im asleep becaus ei have no feeling of acid in my throat whilst awake at all....weird

Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

IT's a never ending battle, my throat will feel like there is a ball in it then it is sore then it burns and then will go away for awhile and it starts all over again. I fell worse when i've slept during the night and breathed through my mouth where it ends up dry and sore for a few days. Glad it doesn't happen every night but only when I'm extremely tired. I'm dealing with it now, I go for a month sometimes feeling really ok and then the drug stops working. I hate it and they really can't do much for the throat. I do soothe it with warm salt water or throat coat. I take Chamomile tea for upset tummy and it works for me.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Doctor has now put me on antihistamine tabs , once a day, i am taking gaviscon before i sleep.

I only started yesterday, this morning ive woken with a sore throat again, but i will give it time and see what happens.

Another interesting point is we have bought some rabbits that live inside our house, they have fur that really moults i cuddle them quite a lot, and im wondering if it is an allergy to them!! The doc seems to think it may be an allergy but i havent told him i have the rabbits.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Oh, saw you had bunnies! So do I and love them. I have LPR and tested for a lot of allergies but never noticed being worse around bunnies. The hay may be a problem though even though I've never been able to pinpoint what causes this chronic PND and throat clearing other than being told it's LPR. So frustrating.

CharBerry

Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Went to my regular GP Doctor as the throats were hurting and to get some antacid. He didnt seem to think it was acid, he thought it was some sort of allergy.

So he gave me some antihistamine tablets to take. One a day at night. Have taken 5 now and my sore throat has disappeared!! i dont think this is coincedence, im much happier now i dont have this swful sore throat. Im just wondering if i stop them the throat may come back again, or it just got so sore it wouldnt heal and the tabs have enabled it to have a chance to heal now.

Closed Thread