It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• In Desperate Need of HELP! PLEASE read my story...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
    Re: In Desperate Need of HELP! PLEASE read my story...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe26 View Post
    So, can anyone else throw in their 2 cents? Is it normal to be on Kapidex TWICE a day, and still feel the lump-in-the-throat symptoms? Do you think maybe this isn't acid at all? What else can I do, eat, take to help?

What else can be causing just the symptom of nausea or lump in throat feeling?

Has anyone ever done the Bravo pH test, is it dangerous/uncomfortable at all?

And has anyone ever also been prescribed Clonazepam to help with the reflux? I'm uncomfortable being on it but when I try to ween off, I feel worse. But what could that even mean? Now I'm stuck in a web of drugs and I don't know what's making me better or worse.

I'm sorry I have so many questions but my doctors are all pretty clueless and unhelpful and I need some answers. Thanks again.

My doctors wouldn't even give me clonazepam on my worst of anxiety attacks. It's an anxiety medication but can also treat spasms but there are specific medications that do this when it is gastrointestinal related, have you ever tried the anti-spasmotic you put under the tounge & let disolve, Levsin, it's faster acting. You might want to ask your doctor about it & if they can try you on a different acid pill since the one your taking seems to fail to be working.

Do you have any other reflux symptoms? Such as heartburn, indigestion, belching, upper middle abdominal pain, maybe fast acting bowels after you eat?

The lump in the throat basically means your muscles are tightening up and need to relax. I've had food feel like it gets stuck down in my esophagus & almost kill me in pain. And it did not get better until I went back on my acid medication. It was due to esophageal spasms. Maybe you need to try a different medication until you find one that actually helps & takes that problem away.

Nausea is a typical gastrointestinal symptom, can be due to reflux or irritable bowel, or gallbladder issues, etc... Have you tried Promethazine for that? That might help.

I only have 2 reflux medications that help me. The others don't work at all. On top of a prescription medication, you can try OTC Zantac 1 x day and Mylanta to see if it gives you any relief.

Another way of obvious reflux problems is through an endoscopy. Reflux can show signs of inflammation or damage to your insides if it's untreated or medications fail to help.

Eating does not at all help reflux problems, it only makes it worse. Especially acidy & hot spicy foods.

Kapidex is not only for reflux issues, it's used to heal and give symptom relief of erosive esophagitis, which if you have, that's not good and you could likely count on the fact that if it exists, it's due to GERD.

I would not put myself through a PH test if the signs of reflux are obvious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Quote:
    I don't know if it helped me in any way. I took it for 3 weeks and didn't feel a difference. I google it but not much information comes up. I still don't get how it would be the right medication for me unless I'm suffering from depression. I want to know what's the actual cause of my problem, which no one can figure out cause no medication works 100%.

Does post-nasal drip go away usually? What's the best medication for that?

Would you guys recommend or not recommend trying Carafate?
    Is there an actual lump or is it just a sensation feeling of a lump?

If an actual lump exists, you want to rule out cancer. If it's just a feeling, it's very likely your muscles are tightening and I first hand know how severely painful that can be & reflux does cause it. Rest assured.

Try a different medication from your doctor, seriously!

I would not try depression medication for this. It is not going to help that problem. Nortriptyline may help you sleep better, it's not for gastrointestinal issues.

Cymbalta may help some people with Fibromyalgia, but it didn't phase me. Antidepressants made me more depressed. I would not recommend them to my dog!

My daughter & I both have chronic reflux issues + post nasal drip issues. Maybe one has something to do with the other?? Mine is usually it's worst when I get a virus. She takes medication for hers, Loratadine during flare ups and it clears her up, otherwise she's up during the night coughing and always clearing her throat. There is a surgery you can have done with your espophagus to help that problem, would not recommend it though.. That's pretty invasive. Have you tried allergy medication for that?

I believe Carafate is a med I've taken before that coats your esophagus & stomach lining preventing further damage from whatever. It's only used short term though.

Last edited by neveragain444; 05-06-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I haven't read through this entire thread yet but I've just read some more and yes acid reflux disease can last the rest of your life just like any other disease. It kills me on a daily basis. I get relief from acid medication but the problems always ALWAYS come back for more. Once you develop chronic inflammation from this, it's literally impossible to get rid of. Acid reflux pills will hide the problem but truthfully, long term use of acid pills can mess with your proper digestion and make things worse. With lack of acid in the stomach, you cannot properly digest food.

I use them only as needed though I am fair warned I could end up with esp cancer if I don't take them everyday.

I agree about the digestive enzymes. If you've taken acid pills too long and lack acid, it can cause the same exact problem as having too much acid. Digestive enzymes that include Betaine Hydrochloride can really help that. Infact I had barrett's esophagus and after months of using this multi-enzyme formula, had myself retested and the barrett's disapeared.

Are you doing anything to irritate your insides? Ibuprophen, Aspirin, any anti-inflammatory's (big no no for these type of problems). Do not eat food too hot, it will stir up a spasm like that worse than anything.

Nortriptlyine does not help this type of problem you are referring to. Infact, it can cause it. Medications like clonazepam, beware, can cause you to get into a chronic depressive state. They are infact, downers.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I'm begging anyone with any knowledge about acid reflux or anything close to it for advice.

Since November 1st, I suddenly felt very nauseous while out one night with my friends. Had dinner and a drink and was driving around. Came home feeling very sick, assuming I was going to throw up due to eating something bad, a stomach virus, or even suffer from a Vertigo episode. I have 2 times in my life suffered from an acute Vertigo episode. Once 5 years ago, dizziness lasted only a couple days, and once in the Summer of 08, dizziness was more severe and lasted a couple weeks, but eventually went away. Having done several tests with ENTs, they never really found anything wrong with me or gave me any answers besides, "This just happens to some people, it's unavoidable, and it might happen again. Maybe you just have sensitive inner ears." My hearing tests and things all came out fine. In my ER report, they called it "Viral labyrthitis."

ANYWAY, I did not throw up that night despite wanting to. I forced myself to somehow sleep and woke up feeling just as nauseous. This feeling of nausea stayed with me for several days until I saw my general doctor who only prescribed me Zofran for a week. It didn't help much.

Long story short, I saw several ENTs, gastros, neurologists, etc. I even saw an allergist and discovered I have high environmental allergies (despite never feeling symptoms of this) but apparently no food allergies. I tried Pepsid. Then a sample of Aciphex for a couple weeks, while being on Meclizine, which is a medication for Vertigo. I'm not quite sure why I was on that, but one of my doctors was desperate to make me feel better so said I should just try it.

I got by for a month or two like that. Didn't feel 100% but was better.

Suddenly I felt extremely nauseous again, the worst. Gave up the meclizine, as I was not feeling dizzy this entire time, never threw up, and decided it had nothing to do with my Vertigo.

Saw a gastro doc who did an endoscopy, which was normal. At that point, I was so SICK I had completely lost my appetite, was losing weight, had to have my mother force food down my throat, so something was wrong. I took Reglan for a week, still felt sick on it, but actually felt better once I came off of it - since I had to in order to do my Gastric Emptying Study, which, guess what, came out normal.

I finally saw an ENT who looked up my nostril down into my throat and claimed I had severe acid reflux, allergies, and sinus issues. I was given a strict regimen:

-Neil Med sinus rinse twice or three times a day
    -Allegra, once at night
    -Clonazepam, 0.5 mg, 3 times a day (he claimed this was for the stomach, while I was aware this is a medication for anxiety, which I never suffered from)
    -Nexium 2x a day
    -Nasacort, one spray each nostril, 2 x day
    -Bland diet, no caffeine, alcohol, spicy or fried food, smoking, etc.

Luckily, after a couple days, I immediately felt like 75% better. It was a relief because I felt literally deathly ill before, bed-ridden, and unable to eat. I felt much better, but still was not 100%.

Since then I've still been on ALL these medications, which has been at least 4 months now. I have not gotten better, but kind of worse again. I'm now on Kapidex twice a day, and switched to Nasonex since it's cheaper and apparently the same thing as Nasacort.

I still go to several doctors weekly to figure out what's wrong. I've done MRIs of the brain, sonograms of the stomach, throat, you name it...all normal. "Nothing is wrong with me."

Yet I still feel perpetual nausea. Like every moment of every day. It never goes away. It doesn't matter what I eat or drink. Nothing makes a difference. There are days, weeks, that I feel fine. And then suddenly days or weeks that I feel completely nauseous again. I can not find ANY pattern to what causes the nausea.

I don't drink, smoke, have coffee, eat tomatoes or spicy food, stopped sushi, chinese, chocolate, eat less processed and salty foods now. But I've always been a healthy eater and never smoked or drank heavily anyway. I used to jog often, but now can barely get through the day functioning like a normal human being to even make it to the gym for a walk.

I can NOT be on this high dose of medication for this long and still feel sick. This is not normal. There is something wrong and the fact that no one can find it and no medication works literally depresses me to death. I cry every single day cause I don't feel well enough just to go hang out with my friends and be normal.

At this point, if I don't feel just plain nauseous (that feeling like you have to throw up, but I never do), I just have a feeling of a lump in my throat or difficulty swallowing. There is something definitely in the throat area. My stomach never hurts and I don't feel heartburn.

I know this was the longest post ever, but I'm so desperate for help. Please, I beg someone to give me any advice they can. Share your knowledge. Suggest whatever.

I can't live like this. I'm only 29, about to turn 30, and have spent the last 6 months of my 20s feeling like I'm 80 and suffering from cancer. I'm extremely depressed and cry constantly and can't live a normal life.

Anyone?????

Did this ENT CT scan your sinuses? Chronic sinus issues will make you feel like crap + cause chronic fatigue. If this is not a spasm issue in your throat, and I believe it is, but otherwise, you can have constant ongoing pain in your throat simply from the sinus/allergy/post-nasal drip issues. Reflux can also make your throat chronically hurt.

A normal gastric emptying study does not mean reflux doesn't exist. Mine was normal, and I've had SEVERE reflux. Even an endoscopy cannot pick up the fact that your throat muscles are tightening and going into a spasm. That is something a doctor isn't going to see on a test.

Try Levsin for that pain. You can even try Flexeril or Skelaxin if that doesn't help but I'd recommend that first. Flexeril is actually my fave muscle relaxant.

Promethazine, I always had great success with that for nausea, using the suppository, not the pill form.

The fatigue I go through makes me cry like you are talking about but I only do it on my worst days. I feel like my body has aged to 150 and wants to die. Being eat up with cancer, I wouldn't be shocked by either. When I was in physical therapy, they said my body had aged twice of my actual age.

I think we both need to learn a good way to cope with our health problems, I know how it can drive you mad.

You need something to make you feel better. Try a switch in medications, you might consider therapy to have someone to talk to about how down this is making you feel, and maybe physical therapy to try and build your strength back up.

I'll quit being a pest now, but I hope this helps ya.

Last edited by neveragain444; 05-06-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Took an Ambien, went to bed, and could not go to sleep, because there's one more thing I felt like I should talk to you about.

The reflux. If your gastroenterolgist did the endoscopy and did not biopsy your esophagus and stomach area, they cannot determine just by looking, whether or not inflammation is there, FACT IS, it may look okay to the visible eye, doesn't mean it is.

But if a biopsy was done and no inflammation exists, I don't think I'd worry too much about acid reflux being an issue. Too much acid production in turn causes irritation to your esophagus, stomach, and even possibly your throat.

But where your ENT looked down in your throat and obviously saw a problem visible to him, something had to of been wrong there. With the types of problems you have with your sinuses/allergies/post-nasal drip, it could cause that irritation and be the cause of what is bringing on the spasm in your throat. The anti-spasmotic or muscle relaxants could very well make that problem go away but whatever is causing the irritation down in your throat needs treated. Corticosteroids may be a good option to try. One of those little suckers can make the worst sore throat vanish in a days time. I've tried allergy, sinus meds myself, nasal sprays: flonase, nasonex, etc, with only temporary help from them, might work a few weeks then nothing. You might just need something that will help clear up the inflammation down in your throat & dry up that mucus production, if possible, because inflammation is a hard one to battle and get rid of completely. Maybe you should ask your ENT about doing a biospy where he saw those problems down in your throat. It could clear up the question of what's wrong. Goodnite.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #21
    Zoe26
    (female)

Zoe26 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
    My doctors wouldn't even give me clonazepam on my worst of anxiety attacks. It's an anxiety medication but can also treat spasms but there are specific medications that do this when it is gastrointestinal related, have you ever tried the anti-spasmotic you put under the tounge & let disolve, Levsin, it's faster acting. You might want to ask your doctor about it & if they can try you on a different acid pill since the one your taking seems to fail to be working.

Do you have any other reflux symptoms? Such as heartburn, indigestion, belching, upper middle abdominal pain, maybe fast acting bowels after you eat?

The lump in the throat basically means your muscles are tightening up and need to relax. I've had food feel like it gets stuck down in my esophagus & almost kill me in pain. And it did not get better until I went back on my acid medication. It was due to esophageal spasms. Maybe you need to try a different medication until you find one that actually helps & takes that problem away.

Nausea is a typical gastrointestinal symptom, can be due to reflux or irritable bowel, or gallbladder issues, etc... Have you tried Promethazine for that? That might help.

I only have 2 reflux medications that help me. The others don't work at all. On top of a prescription medication, you can try OTC Zantac 1 x day and Mylanta to see if it gives you any relief.

Another way of obvious reflux problems is through an endoscopy. Reflux can show signs of inflammation or damage to your insides if it's untreated or medications fail to help.

Eating does not at all help reflux problems, it only makes it worse. Especially acidy & hot spicy foods.

Kapidex is not only for reflux issues, it's used to heal and give symptom relief of erosive esophagitis, which if you have, that's not good and you could likely count on the fact that if it exists, it's due to GERD.

I would not put myself through a PH test if the signs of reflux are obvious.
    Neveragain, thanks for all your input.

I don't have any other symptoms besides nausea, and it is chronic. It doesn't get better or worse no matter what I eat or drink. At first I was really ill, but got better once I was put on Nexium, Allegra, Clonazepam, and the sinus spray. So in actuality, I don't know if all these things combined were making me sick, or just one of them. Once on all these medications, I did feel much better but at best I still feel a perpetual "lump in my throat" feeling. Not an actual lump, but just like if I swallow it's more difficult and I constantly feel something there. I've done a neck MRI and it came out normal.

I've tried Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, and Kapidex. I don't think at this point I should keep trying other meds to see which one works for me. My doctors all say that they're all basically all the same and if anything Nexium is the best, so if that doesn't work the others won't really either.

I don't know why I was given Clonazepam because the doctor who prescribed it is one of those weird ones who doesn't feel the need to explain himself or what he prescribes. All I know is that when I tried to taper off of it just after a few days, the nausea immediately came back. So what does that mean?

I did an endoscopy and it came out normal. The doc said that still doesn't mean I don't have acid reflux.

I guess the best way to find out if I have reflux is to get off all the medications for it and see if I get worse. I'm scared to do that. There's nothing worse than feeling nauseous all the time, losing your appetite, and not being able to get out of bed.

I never tried or was told to try Promethazine. It's Phenergan right? I asked about it and I recall my doctor brushing it off.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #22
    Zoe26
    (female)

Zoe26 HB User

Quote:
    Took an Ambien, went to bed, and could not go to sleep, because there's one more thing I felt like I should talk to you about.

The reflux. If your gastroenterolgist did the endoscopy and did not biopsy your esophagus and stomach area, they cannot determine just by looking, whether or not inflammation is there, FACT IS, it may look okay to the visible eye, doesn't mean it is.

But if a biopsy was done and no inflammation exists, I don't think I'd worry too much about acid reflux being an issue. Too much acid production in turn causes irritation to your esophagus, stomach, and even possibly your throat.

But where your ENT looked down in your throat and obviously saw a problem visible to him, something had to of been wrong there. With the types of problems you have with your sinuses/allergies/post-nasal drip, it could cause that irritation and be the cause of what is bringing on the spasm in your throat. The anti-spasmotic or muscle relaxants could very well make that problem go away but whatever is causing the irritation down in your throat needs treated. Corticosteroids may be a good option to try. One of those little suckers can make the worst sore throat vanish in a days time. I've tried allergy, sinus meds myself, nasal sprays: flonase, nasonex, etc, with only temporary help from them, might work a few weeks then nothing. You might just need something that will help clear up the inflammation down in your throat & dry up that mucus production, if possible, because inflammation is a hard one to battle and get rid of completely. Maybe you should ask your ENT about doing a biospy where he saw those problems down in your throat. It could clear up the question of what's wrong. Goodnite.
    OK, apparentely only a biopsy for a h pylori or whatever other infection was done, but only from the stomach area.

ENTs look into the throat with a scope but its not an accurate test for acid reflux, I've been told by my GIs. He obviously saw some redness or something, but it might not necessarily be acid, but this doctor was very old, experienced, top-notch, so I trusted him when he said he saw that I had severe acid reflux.

What kind of spray would clear up the irritation in my throat if its not indeed acid reflux related?

My GI doctor the other day mentioned doing another endoscopy but doing a biopsy of my esophagus to see if it could be Eosinophilic Esophagitis, which I read up on and that doesn't sound right. But he did mention that if it were that, I would stay something down my throat instead of into my nose.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #23
    Zoe26
    (female)

Zoe26 HB User

Quote:
    Did this ENT CT scan your sinuses? Chronic sinus issues will make you feel like crap + cause chronic fatigue. If this is not a spasm issue in your throat, and I believe it is, but otherwise, you can have constant ongoing pain in your throat simply from the sinus/allergy/post-nasal drip issues. Reflux can also make your throat chronically hurt.

A normal gastric emptying study does not mean reflux doesn't exist. Mine was normal, and I've had SEVERE reflux. Even an endoscopy cannot pick up the fact that your throat muscles are tightening and going into a spasm. That is something a doctor isn't going to see on a test.

Try Levsin for that pain. You can even try Flexeril or Skelaxin if that doesn't help but I'd recommend that first. Flexeril is actually my fave muscle relaxant.

Promethazine, I always had great success with that for nausea, using the suppository, not the pill form.

The fatigue I go through makes me cry like you are talking about but I only do it on my worst days. I feel like my body has aged to 150 and wants to die. Being eat up with cancer, I wouldn't be shocked by either. When I was in physical therapy, they said my body had aged twice of my actual age.

I think we both need to learn a good way to cope with our health problems, I know how it can drive you mad.

You need something to make you feel better. Try a switch in medications, you might consider therapy to have someone to talk to about how down this is making you feel, and maybe physical therapy to try and build your strength back up.

I'll quit being a pest now, but I hope this helps ya.
    One of my ENTs suggested a CT scan cause he saw that I was still apparently very congested even while on all these nasal and sinus and allergy meds. I just don't like to do cat scans unless they are absolutely necessary and this seems like an unnecessary test. What would he find in there anyway? And for it to be accurate, I'd assume I'd have to get off all my medication, which again, scares me to death cause I'm scared I'll suddenly get back to feeling horribly nauseous like in the beginning.

The confusing thing is, my original symptom was nausea. Now on all the meds, its just the throat thing. So I don't know what my REAL symptom is to base my diagnosis on. It's getting very confusing. Whatever the case, my doctors covered every base of what could be causing this problem, and I still feel sick, so what the hell????? That's all I want to know. Why isn't anything working? What else can it be, what else can I do, it's like neverending with trying all these meds for months and months and not getting better, only causing my frustration and depression and messing with my body.

Btw, about sinus issues, I never noticed having any before this. Can you have chronic sinus problems with no noticeable symptoms until suddenly?

Anyway, thanks again, Never again.

Last edited by Zoe26; 05-07-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #24
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:

I don't have any other symptoms besides nausea, and it is chronic. It doesn't get better or worse no matter what I eat or drink. At first I was really ill, but got better once I was put on Nexium, Allegra, Clonazepam, and the sinus spray. So in actuality, I don't know if all these things combined were making me sick, or just one of them. Once on all these medications, I did feel much better but at best I still feel a perpetual "lump in my throat" feeling. Not an actual lump, but just like if I swallow it's more difficult and I constantly feel something there. I've done a neck MRI and it came out normal.

I've tried Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, and Kapidex. I don't think at this point I should keep trying other meds to see which one works for me. My doctors all say that they're all basically all the same and if anything Nexium is the best, so if that doesn't work the others won't really either.

I don't know why I was given Clonazepam because the doctor who prescribed it is one of those weird ones who doesn't feel the need to explain himself or what he prescribes. All I know is that when I tried to taper off of it just after a few days, the nausea immediately came back. So what does that mean?

I did an endoscopy and it came out normal. The doc said that still doesn't mean I don't have acid reflux.

I guess the best way to find out if I have reflux is to get off all the medications for it and see if I get worse. I'm scared to do that. There's nothing worse than feeling nauseous all the time, losing your appetite, and not being able to get out of bed.

I never tried or was told to try Promethazine. It's Phenergan right? I asked about it and I recall my doctor brushing it off.
    Yea it's Phenergan, it's a nausea medication. It's one that people like to mis-use to get high so maybe why the doctor brushed it off, they would not have to worry about such an issue though prescribing a suppository, & they work better anyways.

Well, I don't know why Clonazepam would stop the nausea. Unless the pain in your throat would be causing the nausea. People can have pain so bad, they vomit.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #25
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    OK, apparentely only a biopsy for a h pylori or whatever other infection was done, but only from the stomach area.

ENTs look into the throat with a scope but its not an accurate test for acid reflux, I've been told by my GIs. He obviously saw some redness or something, but it might not necessarily be acid, but this doctor was very old, experienced, top-notch, so I trusted him when he said he saw that I had severe acid reflux.

What kind of spray would clear up the irritation in my throat if its not indeed acid reflux related?

My GI doctor the other day mentioned doing another endoscopy but doing a biopsy of my esophagus to see if it could be Eosinophilic Esophagitis, which I read up on and that doesn't sound right. But he did mention that if it were that, I would stay something down my throat instead of into my nose.
    The endoscopy can show damage to your esophagus from reflux. It isn't going to actually show the reflux. They cannot confirm inflammation without a biopsy of your esophagus, unless they just see that it's red. With mild inflammation, it can look normal to them. For the acid diagnosis, you'd need one of those tests that measure your acid where you have this tube down your throat for 24 hrs. I'd at least have my doctor put me on a corticosteriod to try and clear up the inflammation before attempting such a test or it's probably going to hurt you. I don't know what type of spray would help. Maybe an Anesthetic Numbing Spray like Lidocane might temporarily relieve the pain but it won't clear up the inflammation.

Last edited by neveragain444; 05-08-2009 at 05:11 AM.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #26
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    One of my ENTs suggested a CT scan cause he saw that I was still apparently very congested even while on all these nasal and sinus and allergy meds. I just don't like to do cat scans unless they are absolutely necessary and this seems like an unnecessary test. What would he find in there anyway? And for it to be accurate, I'd assume I'd have to get off all my medication, which again, scares me to death cause I'm scared I'll suddenly get back to feeling horribly nauseous like in the beginning.

The confusing thing is, my original symptom was nausea. Now on all the meds, its just the throat thing. So I don't know what my REAL symptom is to base my diagnosis on. It's getting very confusing. Whatever the case, my doctors covered every base of what could be causing this problem, and I still feel sick, so what the hell????? That's all I want to know. Why isn't anything working? What else can it be, what else can I do, it's like neverending with trying all these meds for months and months and not getting better, only causing my frustration and depression and messing with my body.

Btw, about sinus issues, I never noticed having any before this. Can you have chronic sinus problems with no noticeable symptoms until suddenly?

Anyway, thanks again, Never again.
    A CT scan can reveal why you are so congested, whether it be sinus related, your nasal turbinates, a deviated septum or such. No you should not have to get off of all your medications for this test to be accurate, especially if the congestion is that bad. I guess it may not necessarily reveal anything if it is strickly allergy related. But your better off knowing, and then you could take it from there, as far as what to do. I would figure sudden problems are probably more of an acute issue, I don't know.

If this throat problem didn't occur until you started taking medications, and well if the problem is infact a tightening in your muscles, it could possibly be a side effect from one of your medications. The one reason I warned you against nortryptyline is because a side effect of it is muscle spasms. I also hate antidepressants, I have never taken medications with such horrible side effects & well it's just my own personal opinion, if they help other people, that's great, they did not help me though, esp with my mood. I really suffered through some horrific pain taking those type of medications. But I was also on one too many medications so it did not go over well. Nortriptyline was one that caused the drug interaction I had that was so bad. It reacted with my Ambien & Buspar. I had it tested and know it for a fact. I do not think it is safe to take that type of medication while being on several others. However, my body does not absorb medications normally, it's a defect, other people may not have. I also overdosed on zoloft like 9 years ago. I have nothing good to say about antidepressants, personal opinion. Other people may very well feel different about that.

I hate Nexium. I mean hate it hate hate hate. It does not at all phase my reflux issues. Aciphex & Prevacid are the only two I've had luck with, but sometimes they don't even work. I had to stop taking Prevacid though, it causes me to get really bad spasms in my bladder, so Aciphex is my only choice. Plus my dr said it was okay to take Zantac & Mylanta with it. Which helps.

I get that tightening pain in my esophagus & neck, and it feels like food gets stuck. It's a horrible feeling, but I know it's being brought on by inflammation. If your doctor looks down in your throat and sees that it's all red, very very likely that irritation is causing your muscles to tighten, thus bringing on the feeling of a lump in your throat. It can also cause difficulty swallowing. Can even take your breath.

But still, there is a possibility that one of your medications are causing it as a side effect.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #27
    Zoe26
    (female)

Zoe26 HB User

I have another question ...

Do you guys suggest doing a FEEAST test or is it basically meaningless? One doctor told me it will prove if I have acid reflux or not, while another one told me that it shows nothing and is completely pointless.

I'm trying to take baby steps before I do a Bravo pH test or Barium Swallow. Anyone take the FEEAST test and can say if it is worthwhile? What does it show exactly?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
    unsi
    (female)

unsi HB User

Quote:

Hi, am 16 and ive been sufferng from acid reflux since over 2 years.ive had a endoscopy,barium xray didnt show any signs of acid reflux.until i had ph studies which showed that there was excess amount of acid reflux.ive tried many medication from gaviscon to lansaprazole, nexium,rantidine.for my stabbings i got in my stomach i had a colonscopy.for that i was on buscopan now im on dempordone.as my medication isnt helpng im going to have Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication sugrey.looking at the pros n cons off sugrey it is better to have the sugrey than sufferng from long term acid reflux ,if acid reflux is not treated you are @ a high risk of gettings oesophagus cancer.

have you had a ph study???

i wish you all the best.and requested you to pray the sugrey is successful.

thankyou

unsi

Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
    kstory
    (female)

kstory HB User

I suggest trying a foam bed wedge. Get a good one, such as memory foam. If you are a side sleeper, get the "Side sleeper bed wedge" from "Relax the back". It's expensive, but your doctor can prescribe it, and your insurance should pay for at least some of the cost. I've had LPR for years and while medication and diet help, I'm finding that you also have to elevate your head at night. Don't try just pillows - that won't work.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #30
    flyhigh77
    (male)

flyhigh77 HB User

Your problems sound very similar to what I had about 3 years ago. I went through the same things for about a year until they found my problem. Has your doctor check the function of your Gall bladder and not just take a picture of it like they did to me? All my test were normal except that one. My Gall bladder was only working at 8% which was causing my chronic nausea. I had surgery within a few days of finding out to remove my gall bladder and my nausea is 100% better than it was before. I still have a little nausea usually once a month causing by reflux, but I'm much better now. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread