It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• In Desperate Need of HELP! PLEASE read my story...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #31
    NYCman
    Veteran
    (male)

NYCman HB User
    Re: In Desperate Need of HELP! PLEASE read my story...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unsi View Post
    .as my medication isnt helpng im going to have Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication sugrey.looking at the pros n cons off sugrey it is better to have the sugrey than sufferng from long term acid reflux ,if acid reflux is not treated you are @ a high risk of gettings oesophagus cancer.

thankyou

unsi
    I have a question. If the risk of esophagus cancer exists. And on top of that, long term use of GERD meds is no good fo us...then why can't we all just get
    Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication surgery? This is a serious question. By the way, I'm 24 and have had GERD/Acid Reflux for about 6 months. According to an endoscopy, it is minimal GERD. I am currently on no Meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #32
    Zoe26
    (female)

Zoe26 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flyhigh77 View Post
    Your problems sound very similar to what I had about 3 years ago. I went through the same things for about a year until they found my problem. Has your doctor check the function of your Gall bladder and not just take a picture of it like they did to me? All my test were normal except that one. My Gall bladder was only working at 8% which was causing my chronic nausea. I had surgery within a few days of finding out to remove my gall bladder and my nausea is 100% better than it was before. I still have a little nausea usually once a month causing by reflux, but I'm much better now. Hope this helps.
    what gall bladder test should i check for? all i recall doing is a sonogram of the stomach, neck...and blood tests. what else checks the gall bladder in better detail?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #33
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

In response to Trymester's question, I had the Nissen Fundoplication last fall. While it has been effective for me, it really is too serious to be a standard treatment.

The NF is not 100% effective for everyone. Certain types of reflux symptoms have more success in being "cured" by this procedure than others. There are alwyas potential side effects for any surgical procedure. Since my NF procedure, I've had problems with Nausea that I never had before. On top of that, I'm no longer able to vomit because the NF physically keeps that from happening. I just end up wretching when those episodes hit.

With the Nissen, the stomach is stitched around the esophagus. Every time the stomach contracts, it becomes like another lower esophageal sphincter and keeps things from coming up. It is good for the acid and food reflux. It isn't so good if you need to vomit. It also prevents a lot of gas from passing back up. This can often result in uncomfortable stomach gas bloat. It is called Gas Bloat Syndrome. This is a lifelong thing. I also have a lifelong restriction on swallowing large bites. My surgeon really stressed the need to chew food well and take small bites so the food goes down. If not, it gets "stuck" above the wrap. Believe me, it is really painful what that happens. I was also warned against any future weight gain as it could pull the stitches apart.

If your acid reflux is mild, it really isn't a good option. For severe reflux, it may be an option depending on your symptoms and what the tests say.

In my case, I had severe breathing problems caused by acid constantly irritating my lungs. NF for people with respiratory symptoms does have a high success rate.

I think the NF typically has about an 80-85% success rate overall.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #34
    flyhigh77
    (male)

flyhigh77 HB User

It's called a HIDA scan. In this test, a radioactive material called hydroxy iminodiacetic acid (HIDA) is injected into the patient. The radioactive material is taken up by the gallbladder to measure gallbladder function. This test also is referred to as cholescintigraphy. If you have any problems what so ever with the function of you Gall Bladder, you will have constant nausea that can't be relieved even with meds. I was told by my Doc that a normal Gall bladder works at a percentage rate between 40 to 60%. My rate happen to be at 8% which was the lowest she has seen in awhile. The test is not bad, it takes about two hours. You can get alot more details about the Hida scan on WedMd.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 AM   #35
    unsi
    (female)

unsi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trymester View Post
    I have a question. If the risk of esophagus cancer exists. And on top of that, long term use of GERD meds is no good fo us...then why can't we all just get
    Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication surgery? This is a serious question. By the way, I'm 24 and have had GERD/Acid Reflux for about 6 months. According to an endoscopy, it is minimal GERD. I am currently on no Meds.
    yh dats y im havng Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication surgery coz my meds are nt helpng n also i dnt want to keep tkng meds . Do you suffer from acid reflux everyday? howcome your not any meds? is it under control?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #36
    unsi
    (female)

unsi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    In response to Trymester's question, I had the Nissen Fundoplication last fall. While it has been effective for me, it really is too serious to be a standard treatment.

The NF is not 100% effective for everyone. Certain types of reflux symptoms have more success in being "cured" by this procedure than others. There are alwyas potential side effects for any surgical procedure. Since my NF procedure, I've had problems with Nausea that I never had before. On top of that, I'm no longer able to vomit because the NF physically keeps that from happening. I just end up wretching when those episodes hit.

With the Nissen, the stomach is stitched around the esophagus. Every time the stomach contracts, it becomes like another lower esophageal sphincter and keeps things from coming up. It is good for the acid and food reflux. It isn't so good if you need to vomit. It also prevents a lot of gas from passing back up. This can often result in uncomfortable stomach gas bloat. It is called Gas Bloat Syndrome. This is a lifelong thing. I also have a lifelong restriction on swallowing large bites. My surgeon really stressed the need to chew food well and take small bites so the food goes down. If not, it gets "stuck" above the wrap. Believe me, it is really painful what that happens. I was also warned against any future weight gain as it could pull the stitches apart.

If your acid reflux is mild, it really isn't a good option. For severe reflux, it may be an option depending on your symptoms and what the tests say.

In my case, I had severe breathing problems caused by acid constantly irritating my lungs. NF for people with respiratory symptoms does have a high success rate.

I think the NF typically has about an 80-85% success rate overall.

is it not 90% success rate??

Old 05-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #37
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

For some types of symptoms there is a higher NF success rate than for other types. There are lots of different research articles out there on this. It really depends on the population they did the surgery on.

For some, there is also temporary success that doesn't last long term. That may skue the numbers of the studies depending on how long post-surgery they were researching.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #38
    NYCman
    Veteran
    (male)

NYCman HB User

Thank You for your response Mountain,

I guess in your case you saw that the Nissen would have done you more good than harm. Do you still think you made the right choice?

I personally, have a mildly incompetent L.E.S., I have some breathing problems, but I'm not really sure if that is related to my minimal GERD. It may be related to a mild scoliosis I have, or to my slightly enlarged liver. So, I don't know if I would be a candidate for the Nissen, because I'm still not sure what's up. I'm 24 yrs old now, and I'm soon going to go on Nexium for 1 month to see what will come of it.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #39
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had my reflux under control for about 7 years. Then everything just stopped working. I even tried taking every PPI on the market, twice per day. Nexium messed up my gut pretty badly and gave me symptoms I didn't have before. Aciphex, Protonix, Zegrid all did OK, but not great. Prevacid Solutabs work best for me, but even on that my reflux was far from being under control.

I continue to sleep on an incline. I try to watch my diet and I've lost weight.

When the reflux got to the point I had a scary breathing incident, the surgery became a very real option for me. In fact, it was after testing, Modified Barium Swallow and Esophagram, that my Pulmonologist actually recommended the surgery.

I'm very happy that I had the surgery. Being able to breathe well is worth the price to me of the other consequences I have to live with.

Your Gastroenterologist would be able to tell you if you are a surgical candidate. They will want you to try all other options first though.

If you continue to have breathing problems, even mild, I'd recommend finding a good Pulmonologist. Having action plans and treatments in place have made all the difference in quality of life, and life itself, for me.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #40
    JackieN
    (male)

JackieN HB User

To Mountain Reader: Hello. You have been a constant contributer to the message boards regarding Nissan fundoplication, and always have good insightful information. I had a Nissan fundo in Feb. 2009 and I am losing weight (cannot afford to lose anymore), but am most concerned with the gas bloating syndrome and lump in my throat that I have as a result of the surgery. Do you know of others that have these issues and are you able to burp? I cannot burp and have a lot of gas and I am miserable. I am returning to the doctor later this month and getting another upper GI done. I wish I had never had the fundoplication done - it has not helped my original symptom of bad taste in mouth and a lot of congestion. Now I have more problems than ever. Can anyone help????? Please write soon

Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #41
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I had my gallbladder out and having stomach issues now. This is what I go through - I will 2 weeks feeling ok then I have an attack where I get nausau, belching, lots of gas, and I feel like I am wearing a tight belt around my waist. It may last 3 days or it may last for 7 days then it calms down. It comes from no where. You could be sitting down and all of the sudden you get an attack. Now I have lots of anxiety because I never know when it is going to show up. I have had numerous test, pancrititus test, Hploria, liver check, and now I am going for a scope. My acid reflux medicine does not work at all. I am going through just pure depression from all this. I have two little kids who need me each day. It feels like pressure and nausau in my stomach and sometimes I burp to get relief then other times the pressure just stays in my stomach.

I am scared because I think I may have cancer or something - it is fearing the unknown that makes me scared. I can't believe gerd causes this much pain - how do have a stomach after this.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #42
    JackieN
    (male)

JackieN HB User

TO ALL FUNDOPLICATION PATIENTS - IS anyone able to burp? I have been unable to burp since I had the procedure last Feb. 2009. I am very concerned that if I cannot burp, that I will not be able to vomit if I get sick. Please let me know asap as I want to talk to my dr. about it at my 6/29 appointment.

Also Hello to Desperate - Don't let anyone talk you into a Nissen Fundoplication unless you have spoken to several patients that had the same symptoms as you have and know that this procedure helped. It is a very serious surgery.

I have suffered for 15 years with a bad taste (no doctor knows why) and per the doctors' suggestions have gone through all the medicatins that you have taken plus more, have had my gall bladder removed and had a fundoplication this past Feb. 2009. Nothing has helped my problem and now I have complications as a result of the fundoplication - lump in my throat and losing weight - I am 6 foot tall and am now 150 lbs. I am at the end of my rope and think I may be dying. Doctors (primary dr., ENT, and fundoplication dr. all just order tests and tell me nothing is wrong). I am going again to the fundo dr. next week.

People like us should be allowed to go to a good research doctor and have a staff of doctors determine what is wrong. It would certainly be cheaper for the insurance companies, and we may even get well!!! That would be a miracle!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #43
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I agree that the Nissen Fundoplication is a very serious step. It does not have a 100% success rate and it is invasive with your body. The success rate really does depend on your symptoms in the first place.

JackieN, it is good you are going back to your doctor.

You asked about belching. I've had belching since I woke from surgery. My surgeon says it is air coming back up that didn't make it through the wrap. I I still feel it is air making it up. There is no way I can vomit though. One of my side effects is that I have incidents of nausea and heaving. I can feel the mechanics of my body trying to vomit, but nothing comes through. Pre-surgery I had no nausea. Now, I have Phenegren, Zofran or Reglan that I take trying to help with the nausea.

I know it isn't the same for everyone, but I'd choose to have the surgery again. I'm different from many on the board though because my reflux was giving me bad breathing problems. The surgery has allowed me to get my breathing under control.

I will say that my primary care physician tried to get me to a research hospital before I had the surgery. I had a long wait though to get in and they were going to re-do all the tests I had just had done for a second time. After talking to 3 specicalists and doing my internet research, I decided to go forward with the surgery. I had a skilled surgeon which was important.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #44
    tillywinks1
    (female)

tillywinks1 HB User

Hi I have had nauesa everyday 24/7 since July of 2007. I had lunch (plain 1/2 turkey sandwich at a restaurant) in 2 hours diarrea (sp) and nauesa. Thought food poisioning, but 2 years later?? No, I have been to 3 hospitals, can't count how many doctors, only too to find nothing wrong. Doctor at Stanford told me I probably swallow to much air!! I also belch alot, I have a dull ache in my breastbone area, like a washcloth is being squeezed out. I have multiple CT scans, 2 endo's, 2 colonoscopies, gastro emptying study, test for over 100 allergens, bowel samples for bacteria, etc. It does not matter what I eat. I have never been a spicy food person, but if I was it would not matter. If I overeat, by overeat for my standard, like even a 1/2 cup of yougurt I have more nauesa and discomfort in my stomach area. Also been checked for Barrett, celiac sprue.
    So I usually just have a couple of tablespoons of something several times a day. I weigh anywhere from 95 to 98 lbs from 115. I am too depressed, I feel like people watch everything I put on my plate and think I have a eating disorder. People with eating disorders do not still want the food. Getting some antidepressants figured out and try to get to the point where I at least want to be around people again. Right now I am perfectly happy to be by myself. I know this is not me. My husband is more than patient with me. I have asked to stay home on a number of social events because I feel so crappy that I do not want to make small talk etc. I have been told its GERD and stress, maybe so, I just do not know anymore.
    ChristyPie

Old 09-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #45
    tillywinks1
    (female)

tillywinks1 HB User
    Unhappy Re: In Desperate Need of HELP! PLEASE read my story...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tillywinks1 View Post
    Hi I have had nauesa everyday 24/7 since July of 2007. I had lunch (plain 1/2 turkey sandwich at a restaurant) in 2 hours diarrea (sp) and nauesa. Thought food poisioning, but 2 years later?? No, I have been to 3 hospitals, can't count how many doctors, only too to find nothing wrong. Doctor at Stanford told me I probably swallow to much air!! I also belch alot, I have a dull ache in my breastbone area, like a washcloth is being squeezed out. I have multiple CT scans, 2 endo's, 2 colonoscopies, gastro emptying study, test for over 100 allergens, bowel samples for bacteria, etc. It does not matter what I eat. I have never been a spicy food person, but if I was it would not matter. If I overeat, by overeat for my standard, like even a 1/2 cup of yougurt I have more nauesa and discomfort in my stomach area. Also been checked for Barrett, celiac sprue.
    So I usually just have a couple of tablespoons of something several times a day. I weigh anywhere from 95 to 98 lbs from 115. I am too depressed, I feel like people watch everything I put on my plate and think I have a eating disorder. People with eating disorders do not still want the food. Getting some antidepressants figured out and try to get to the point where I at least want to be around people again. Right now I am perfectly happy to be by myself. I know this is not me. My husband is more than patient with me. I have asked to stay home on a number of social events because I feel so crappy that I do not want to make small talk etc. I have been told its GERD and stress, maybe so, I just do not know anymore.
    ChristyPie

Closed Thread