It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Does anyone have thoughts like this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
    benzos
    (female)

benzos HB User
    Does anyone have thoughts like this?

I went to the docs today and let him have it straight...took print outs from the internet showing him how breathing probs can be related to acid probs...he nodded in total belief ( at last!!). I also admitted that the whole not being able to breathe, pain, burping etc has finally gotten to me. Its disrupting my whole life.. I dont even dare venture far socially because of the constant burping. I feel so tired of it all. Some days I get quite fearful that theres something very seriously wrong as I havent had an endoscopy for three years and dont know what damage has occurred. I dont have patience with the kids most days, I have no 'interests' as a wife or looking after the home...I am too darned drained.

Did any of you get to think/behave this way?

Well anyway hes sending me for another endoscopy and as I burped at last 4 or 5 times in the 10 mins I was with him, I think he finally sees something has to give. He also sent me straight out for a load of blood tests. I have tried carrying on as best I can but if I am honest I feel the only time I am ok is when I am asleep. Waking up to my first cuppa followed immediately by a dozen burps every morning is depressing...thats just the beginning of the day. It goes on and on relentlessly. I have spent all day today with that awful lung area pain...now whats that all about??

Thanks for letting me moan.

benzos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
    lskill
    (female)

lskill HB User
    Re: Does anyone have thoughts like this?

My husband has constant burping we're trying to figure out also. He hasn't yet had an endoscopy (because of high deductible) but it's been recommended by the gastro. He's also been to an ENT as well as our internist, of course. No one is taking him too seriously, but it's a major problem just as it is for you.

What meds have you tried? What else have you tried? WE've been through prilosec, pepto, nexium etc to no avail. He's also gone 5 weeks now gluten free, just to see if it would help. let's share thoughts and strategies.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
    benzos
    (female)

benzos HB User

Hi...I do feel for him. I have tried 3 different PPI's but had bad reactions to them...they just dont seem to agree with me. I tried pine nut oil but to no avail. At the moment the doc has told me just to take gaviscon until this endoscopy. Nothing I seem to do quells the burping. Within minutes of eating I burp...same with a drink. I wake and it starts wihin minutes.I am supposed to be attending a meeting this week but I just cant do it. I cant control the burping.
    Personally I am dreading what they may find in this endoscopy. I am waiting for a HPylori test to come back. The breathing part..I am at a loss to understand. I have been doing meditation for years so if ever I am anxious its the health probs that may cause any anxiety not the other way around.
    As I wrote this I took around 5 sips of a drink and already I burped three times! Its awful.

Benzos

Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
    mucous
    (male)

mucous HB User

Dear all, hope you all find relief soon! I too know where you are coming from. I have recently been diagnosed as having Acid Reflux. I have had ongoing throat issues for quite a while but always thought they were throat infections. Also had ear aches, voice issues, lots of mucous etc etc, lots of symptoms and always seem to be changing. Recently I have been going to the doc quite a lot and was always being sent away by the doctor with nothing apparently wrong with me.

At the end of July I started getting a pain in my throat which I initially believed was the start of yet another throat infection. The Doc asked me how my stomach was and I mentioned that I burp a lot from time to time. He said that ALL of my symptoms can be brought on by Acid Reflux and LPR which I have to say at the time I was a bit sceptical of. He gave me some PPI's and referred me to an ENT consultant for a scope investigation. ENT consultant put a scope up my nose and down as far as my vocal chords and could not find anything sinister although did say that I had a lot of mucous. He doubled my PPI's for a month to see how I get on.

Sometimes I have good days when I get hardly any throat burning but then other days I have a constant throat burning that nothing really seems to resolve (have tried Gaviscon, Asilone, Andrews etc etc). At these point I have also noticed that I generally burp quite a bit so I guess the burping is bringing up small amounts of acid which is then burning my throat. To try and ease it I sip water a lot which does give initial relief but I am now very worried that I am developing a chronic condition which a lot of poor souls seem to be stuck with.

I know how frustrating it is and am now trying everything from DLG, Manuka Honey etc etc etc.

Good luck!

Regards

Old 11-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
    painter207
    (female)

painter207 HB User

Please don't give up. It wiil get better. It wasn't until I was on 2 PPI's for about 6 weeks did my throat burning finally go away. I was sure the horror would be with me forever. I thank God that it is gone. It's depressing to have a chronic condition that nags you every single day.
    I have to say I have the opposite condition, not burping but gas. The minute I take even a drink of water it starts. Is this a part of reflux too? I've never asked but am having a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks and I hope I'll be coherant enough to ask him afterwards.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
    benzos
    (female)

benzos HB User

Thanks for those posts. I just cant see how people can possibly work when its as bad as this...and yet it seems they make light of it all generally..here take your ppi's ..bye!
    I drink water too..it does help for a few minutes! I try not to drink too much though because of the burping.
    Do any of you get real ticklish throats like you want to cough to clear it?

My sister has an acid prob and she has a hiatus hernia but burping isnt a huge problem for her.
    I am just glad to have found a doctor who is at least lustening to me...its been a long haul. When you say I have acid problems people dont really know what that can entail. It seems to be getting more and more common though as I said I wonder how some people dont get depressed with it all. Its making me feel old and I usually am so energetic. Got weighed today...I've lost 5lbs and I was only 8.5stones to begin with!
    Ho hum...roll on the test I say, bring it on.
    Thanks again

Benzos

Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
    Jimbob3456
    (male)

Jimbob3456 HB User

Take a trip to a health food store, or a vitamin shop, ask for digestive enzymes.
    This will cure you problem.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
    benzos
    (female)

benzos HB User

Hi
    May I ask why you are so sure?? Thanks

Benzos

Old 11-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
    benzos
    (female)

benzos HB User

Actually I just saw a video of a doctor talking about antacids and reflux and saying we would all be better off drinking carrot juice, taking licorice dgl and calcium! Hm...going shopping tomorrow!

Benzos

Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
    painter207
    (female)

painter207 HB User

Yes, to the tickle. When you least expect it, the tickle starts and you cough and cough and everyone looks at you like you have a 'catchy' desease.
    Yes, It's easy to get depressed, that's why so many of us had to go on an anti anxiety pill. It helps. When you are better you can wheen yourself off again if you so choose.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

About 8 years ago, I was first diagnosed with reflux solely based upon belching. I spent a weekend laying bricks and every time I bent over to lay a brick, I would belch. The belching then continued. I went to my PCP and ended up on Protonix once per day and a modified diet. It helped for a couple years. To help with the belching, be careful about how and when you bend. If you do much bending after eating, it will make the belching worse. Also, make sure you are wearing things with loose waistbands. It isn't a solution, but it is a help.

It was a couple years in with the reflux that I started having the breathing problems. I started in with a chronic cough. For a long time, I attributed the cough to my asthma and sinus problems. Eventually I realized that reflux was also causing my chronic cough. I bumped up to twice a day PPI's. I had the most success with the Prevacid Solutabs twice a day. I also put my headboard on an incline by 6 inches as well and got really good at watching my diet. Low fat food, no greasy food, no citrus or tomato products, low on the spices, no carbonation or caffeine, no chocolate, no coffee, no tea (which can loosen your LES), no alcohol, etc...

I think that there are many people out there who really don't understand what "chronic cough" really means to the person who is doing the coughing. At its worst, you cough and cough and can't catch your breath. That is a scary thing. Also, the non-stop coughing can cause you to pull muscles and hurt your ribs. In it's more minor form, the coughing can really be annoying. Not just to me, but to those around me. At work, everyone used to joke about knowing when I was coming because they could hear me down the hall.

I was able to get my cough under control for several years, until everything stopped working. For me it took working with my ENT, Pulmonologist and GI doc to really find a solution that worked for me. (Treating my allergies/sinuses, reflux and asthma at the same time.)

Over the course of 3 years, I had two Endoscopies that both came back just fine. I had a 24 hour pH that confirmed reflux. Three years later, I had another 24 hr pH that came back as having severe reflux. I had two Manometries that both came back as having a week LES. The second test showed things had gotten worse. It was actually the Modified Barium Swallow & Esophagram ordered by my Pulmonologist that was most telling. It showed that I had reflux coming up and irritating my lungs. This was triggering my coughing. In my case, it was also aggrevating my asthma to the point that I actually needed emergency treatment at one point for my breathing. It also showed that I was occasionally aspirating the acid as well.

At one point or another, I was on all PPI's. I had one I couldn't tolerate at all, some that just didn't do much at all and a couple that helped for a while until they stopped helping. Right now, I'm on the "best of the worst" I guess. It helps some, but not completely any more.

My case was pretty unusual compared to others with reflux. I think I ended up on the extreme end of things. Just want you to know that you are not alone though.

Last edited by MountainReader; 11-08-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
    benzos
    (female)

benzos HB User

Wow, you have had a bad time. Where the cough is concerned , mine is just an occasional little cough/clearing of the throat feeling. That tickly feeling is like when you know you are going down with a virus like flu. sore throat, tickle....but I am not .

The video I watched was interesting. This doctor described it as ...when taking PPI's or any antacids all you are doing is turning acid reflux into non acid reflux..ie you are still refluxing, the mechanism is still wrong but there is no acid????? No acid he said is a bad thing. Hm...maybe he needs to live with acid reflux, I dont know! It is natural and the body needs some acid so it does make you think.

The first thing I thought with the breathing thing is COPD. Its like I'm grindng down to a halt with it. I'm not gasping for breath though, just finding it hard to inflate my lungs and the outbreath seems dulled. I am aware though not to get fixated on it as that would just become another problem. I try to go on as best I can with it but sometimes it catches up with me ie when I have just walked a distance or even suddenly while I am watching tv....especially after eating and burping relieves it a lot.

Thanks for sharing.

Benzos

Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
    silvercity09
    (female)

silvercity09 HB Usersilvercity09 HB User

I truly understand what everyone is going through...acid reflux is very painful. I have a constant burning in my throat 24/7...it just won't go away. Sometimes it is so painful that I go crazy and get crazy thoughts in my head...I try to take PPI's but they seem to make things worse...I just do not know what to do anymore and can't go on living with this horrible dreadful painful disease....is there any hope??? Will this burning ever go away...acid has ruined my life!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
    mucous
    (male)

mucous HB User

Silvercity, try and keep the faith, you are not alone. Not sure how long you have had it but I have only had it for 3 months. It is horrible, I have good days and bad days but just have a burning sore throat. Don't feel the symtoms when I eat but it soon returns! Good luck!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
    silvercity09
    (female)

silvercity09 HB Usersilvercity09 HB User

I've had it for over one year now! Does the pain from the burning throat not cause you anxiety and stress?? How do you deal with it? I just don't know why it brings me so down...how do you keep the faith??

Closed Thread