It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Has anyone had EsophyX TIF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #16
    scubagrunt
    (female)

scubagrunt HB User
    Re: Has anyone had EsophyX TIF?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hawkins6 View Post
    I am told by my surgeon that the two procedures are actually quite different. Yours I believe actually makes a fold to prevent the acid (and gas etc,) from coming back up whereas the TIF uses staples to shrink the size of the opening into the stomach. Therefore, according to my surgeon, after the TIF procedure, there is no problem burping or vomitting (or apparently having acid reflux on occassion) as the TIF has merely reconstructed the original size of the opening. I see my surgeon for my final visit tomorrow, so I'll get his opinion regarding carbinated drinks, meats and bread. I'll let you know.
    hi Hawkins,
    i am new here. i have a couple of questions. if you dont mind me asking how much was the total costs for the procedure as i am sure my insurance will tell me to pound salt. also i am a scuba diver so being able to burp and vomitt are important to my health since any swallowed air could kill me on ascent if i cant burp it out. this is the reason i am looking at TIF instead of nissen fondo as i think (correct me if i am wrong here) with the TIF you can still burp?
    thanks in advance.
    mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #17
    hawkins6
    (female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User

No problem burping with the TIF. But, the TIF is not appropriate for everyone, so you should talk to your doctor about it. I have since found out that there was no way that the TIF was appropriate for my acid reflux problems. That didn't seem to bother the surgeon who did the TIF. I guess it was "show me the money" for him. Read my other posts for more detail. I still take one PPI a day and have horrible reflux if I lay down within three hours of eating. I never experienced that before the TIF, so I'm thinking I was much better off before the procedure. If your insurance won't pay, I would recommend a different approach. Talk to your doctor.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
    scubagrunt
    (female)

scubagrunt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hawkins6 View Post
    No problem burping with the TIF. But, the TIF is not appropriate for everyone, so you should talk to your doctor about it. I have since found out that there was no way that the TIF was appropriate for my acid reflux problems. That didn't seem to bother the surgeon who did the TIF. I guess it was "show me the money" for him. Read my other posts for more detail. I still take one PPI a day and have horrible reflux if I lay down within three hours of eating. I never experienced that before the TIF, so I'm thinking I was much better off before the procedure. If your insurance won't pay, I would recommend a different approach. Talk to your doctor.
    thanks!!!
    my issue is i want relief from gerd, and i dont want to take drugs for the rest of my life i am only 37 now!!! but my biggest issue in my life is scuba, and burping as weird as it sounds is very imoptant to me.
    thanks again.
    mel

Closed Thread