It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Upper abdominal pain for 4 years.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
inmommyheaven
(female)

inmommyheaven HB User
Upper abdominal pain for 4 years.

I apologize if you have read this already on a different board, I have posted on a few. I am at my wits end. I have had upper abdominal pain for the past four years and have yet to find relief. The first time I went to the doctor, he diagnosed me with reflux and tried all the meds for it. Nothing worked and I gave up. about 6 months ago I started having difficulty swallowing so I went back in. She agreed that it could be reflux and sent me for an endoscopy. It showed esophagitis and a stricture which "confirmed" reflux. So I have been on reflux meds for 6 months but the pain is still there. . . no improvement. I have since had ultrasounds, CT scans, a HIDA scan (which showed a delay in the bile traveling to me bowels) so I had an ERCP and manometry as a follow up to that. That came back normal so they figure the delay was a fluke. I am completely frustrated. The pain isn't unbearable. Most of the time it is just a constant dull ache between my belly button and sternum but at times can be crippling. I am contstantly pushing on and moving my stomach around to find relief. It also makes me very out of breath. I am going to try a gluten free diet for awhile and see if that helps at all. The wierdest thing is that the only time I have ever had heartburn was when I was pregnant. However, for the last 4 weeks or so I have been getting heartburn every other day or so. I am currently on Omeprazole-20mg, 2x's/ day. Does this sound like GERD? If so, why isn't it going away with the meds? I am 29, eat well, exercise and ideal weight. I don't get it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
SAHMof2
(female)

SAHMof2 HB User
Re: Upper abdominal pain for 4 years.

I'm sorry you're going through so much. I too get stomach pains. I've been on Meds for GERD for about 12 yrs now. My pain is more toward my left side but still between the belly button and ribs. And I get a crampy pain kind of like a stitch in my side Right below my left ribs toward the middle of my stomach. It's miserable. I'm going in soon to have an endoscopy done. Not looking forward to that at all. I wish I could tell you how to get rid of the pains sweetie. I hope you can find some relief with the glutten free diet. Let us know how that goes.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
cupCakeCat
(female)

cupCakeCat HB User

A little late to the conversation, but I'm glad I found someone who has the same pain symptoms as me! I had an upperGI and it didn't find anything other than reflux. I'm still feeling pain right under my ribcage on the left side, after having suffered through series of chest pains. I'm now on the primal diet (or at least a rather loose version of it) and cutting all my carbs. I don't feel worse and I have a feeling it might work!

The Following User Says Thank You to cupCakeCat For This Useful Post:
overpain (08-02-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
overpain
(female)

overpain HB User

Currently dealing with the same thing basically. I havent had any luck on trying to find out what will make the pain go away

The following user gives a hug of support to overpain:
cupCakeCat (08-02-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
cupCakeCat
(female)

cupCakeCat HB User

overpain,

It's not fun, I know. I'm not even 20 and I'm dealing with this. It makes me really nervous about what my life will be like.

I don't know what to tell you, my pain was there (ER doctor gave me vicodin o.O), then it just worsened into a sharp pain. 2 weeks later it then went away. I notice whenever my hormone levels are going crazy (near ovulation or period), I just have bad symptoms. I'm going to get a hormone test done and see what's happening.

It's not in your head, I totally understand. Is your life stressed? I'm trying some meditation just to get my mind off of AR. Get some test and make sure you actually don't have an ulcer or other stuff.. good luck!

Closed Thread