It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Does your Acid Reflux lead to other conditions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
    furtile
    (male)

furtile HB User
    Question Does your Acid Reflux lead to other conditions?

Hi, my name is Michael, i'm 34, and i've had acid reflux now for 11 years. Wow, has it been that long already?

Over the years I also managed to get sinus problems and then what the doctors called non bacterial prostitis - which basically means that I feel the urge to pee a lot.

What i've noticed though is that when the reflux is bad, the sinus is bad, and the prostitis is bad.

And conversely, often if the reflux is good - which is rare to semi rare - then everything is good.

There does seem to be some literature about the acid causing other health realted issues. SO my question is:

How many of you guys out there have other health conditons that seem to flare up when your acid reflux is bad, such as sinus problems, or whatever?
    And what is the conditon?

Maybe there is a link of common sub health problems caused by the reflux, who knows?

Anyways, hope you are all feeling well today.

And all the best.

M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
    mucous
    (male)

mucous HB User
    Re: Does your Acid Reflux lead to other conditions?

Hi Michael, I have only had the dreaded condition for 3-4 months (that I know of in terms of throat burning, but who knows how many of my sore throats, ear aches etc can be put down to it!)

I can say that for me, when my acid reflux is bad, so is my throat burning, sinus drainage and ear aches and BURPING BURPING BURPING! When acid is good, not at the moment but had a symptom free day yesterday, I don' really get any of the other symptoms. I think the chain of events is:

1- Acid reflux issue
    2- Sinus and throat strart producing mucous to protect against acid damage in the throat.

Geez, 11 years!! I pray that mine is temporary although I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia but I could have had that, and been symptom free, for a long time!

Regards

The Following User Says Thank You to mucous For This Useful Post:
    sadgirl1938 (06-04-2012)
    Old 12-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
    furtile
    (male)

furtile HB User

Hi Mucous, thanks for the information, that's really interesting. So the body produces more mucous to protect itself and that in turn causes sinus problems.
    For the burping you could try taking charocal tablets. You can get them at health stores. I don't know where you are but if you are in the UK you could try Holland and Barret. I took them after meals and they did seem to help much more than tablets for gas.
    And for the sinus you could try a neti pot. Best to look that up online to see if you like the look of it. Effectively it's just a pot that you use to put water mixed with sea salt up your nose. Sounds horrible but it's really good for the nose and the best thing is it's cheap. You can get the pot for 2 and then all you do is buy organic sea salt, which is also cheap and lasts for ages.
    Here is hoping that yours is temporary. And if it is, have some red wine for me.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
    mucous
    (male)

mucous HB User

Hi Furtile, that's what I was told by the ENT when I saw him. Hi did a nasal scope to have a look at my sinuses and throat (as far as the voicebox). He found nothing more sinister than a lot of catarrh and explained that the body produces the mucous to try and protect itself.

For years I have had sore throats, ear aches etc and it was only recently after I started getting a burning throat that a doctor suggested getting checked for acid reflux. I was initially a bit sceptical that this could have been the cause of all of my symptoms and thought he was using it as a convenient catchall but after looking up LPR (silent acid reflux) I knew that we could finally be on to something. He booked me in to see a ENT and also prescribed Pantoprazole (20 mg) to be taken twice a day.

After seeing the ENT and having a sinus scope and x-ray, the consultant upped my meds to 40mg twice a day for a month. To be honest this really didn't seem to be helping too much so I contacted the consultant to see if there were different meds that I could take (incidentally he also suggested that I start using the sinus rinse by NeilMed, which I have been using (more expensive than your sea salt rinse but I don't use it every day)), he then suggested that he contact a gastro consultant to have my throat and stomach scoped for lesions etc. Some 3-4 weeks later I found myself in the hospital getting the scope. I was pretty nervous about both the procedure and the results. I opted for the conscious sedatation and didnt really feel anything or remember anything other than a very short spell of gagging.

The results from the test were that I have a hiatus hernia so he has reduced my dose to 40 mg a day (morning) and also a Motillium tablet 30 mins before dinner to help speed the digestion process up. I saw him 3 weeks ago and have to say that I still seem to be on a bit of a rollercoaster with good weeks and bad weeks. Can't really work out a pattern to this but I am keeping a food, medication and symptom diary to record everything as, to be honest, this whole thing turns into a bit of a blur and I cannot remember what it was like 2 days ago let alone any longer!! Hope things work out for you mate! Hang in there!

Regards

Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've officially been diagnosed with acid reflux for about 9 years now. Think I had it some before. I have the "silent" version which means that I don't have heartburn, but I did have other symptoms. My worst symptom was a chronic cough. I've found over the years that the chronic coughing made my reflux worse. All the squeezing of the stomach pushing the acid up when I cough. I also found through Barium testing that the acid was not only irritating my throat, but it was irritating my lungs and flaring my asthma. (It is a viscious cycle at times.) After years of having it under control with modified diet and medication, they stopped working and my reflux triggered my asthma so badly that it became life threatening for me. Consequently, I had surgery. Since the surgery, I've had a decrease in asthma problems and a decrease in my number of sinus infections. The sinus thing kind of surprised me. I know I have allergies and always assumed that was my primary sinus infection trigger. I never really factored the reflux with the sinus stuff seriously until then. I'm also a couple years into my second round of immunotherapy so that is factoring in also. I've reduced from 4 to 2 allergy meds. Still on two asthma meds and twice a day PPI's though.

According to my doctors, including my Pulmonologist, there is a high coorelation between people with acid reflux, asthma, allergies and eczema. My internet research has confirmed this.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
    wtj
    (male)

wtj HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by furtile View Post
    Hi, my name is Michael, i'm 34, and i've had acid reflux now for 11 years. Wow, has it been that long already?

Over the years I also managed to get sinus problems and then what the doctors called non bacterial prostitis - which basically means that I feel the urge to pee a lot.

What i've noticed though is that when the reflux is bad, the sinus is bad, and the prostitis is bad.

And conversely, often if the reflux is good - which is rare to semi rare - then everything is good.

There does seem to be some literature about the acid causing other health realted issues. SO my question is:

How many of you guys out there have other health conditons that seem to flare up when your acid reflux is bad, such as sinus problems, or whatever?
    And what is the conditon?

Maybe there is a link of common sub health problems caused by the reflux, who knows?

Anyways, hope you are all feeling well today.

And all the best.

M
    I have never been told by a doctor that this had any relation but I had SCA (Sudden Cardiac Arrest) in 07 and I have a pacemaker and so on but my point is I have breathing issues and I feel that the breathing is coming from the GERD I am pretty sure in my own mind that my GERD also caused some issues with my heart. I have a question for anyone reading this anybody have the surgery to fix the acid reflux yet?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Reflux certainly affected my breathing and my sinuses. I had surgery a little over a year ago and haven't had the problems since. Surgery is not as effective for everyone as it was for me though. I think it does have a very high success rate for those who have breathing problems as a symptom.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
    happyacres
    (female)

happyacres HB User

Hi, I to have acid reflux for around 11 yrs maybe 12. It sure a pain to deal with. I was just sleeping and starting to cough up the acid, burning my thoat and almost making me vomit. My acid refllux has lead to other conditons, I have Interstitial Cystitis which a problem in my bladder, the bladder is unable to keep it's mucus lining and gets irritated and burns, makes you urinate a lot, with tons of pain, some times blood clots. The PH of my bladder and urine is extremely high, this do to my acid reflux. It's horrible, I am getting tired of this constant burning, vomiting, stinging pee with blood in it.
    Also to mention it I do have lots of sinus burning and pain. When I vomit from the reflux normally after lying down when in bed it comes out my nose. So I think this has effected my sinus in that way...to cause chronic infections of the sinus. Boy does it suck.
    Debra age 32

Last edited by happyacres; 01-17-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Oh, yes. My reflux causes all kinds of breathing and respitory problems. Pnemonia last couple of years. Believe allergies, asthma, voice changes (or loss of voice) all caused by reflux. I have been diagnosed with the LPR type. My hearing got bad and Dr. said acid can go to your eye balls. I believe him.

Char

Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
    tex2007
    (female)

tex2007 HB User

Your Post could've been written by me!
    My asthma and reflux appeared almost
    simultaneously 7 yrs. ago. I had the
    Fundoplication surgery which also repaired
    a hiatal hernia. Things went well for 2 yrs.
    (and still do from May till about Nov.) as
    long as my allergies were controlled. I
    had sinus surgery 4 1/2 yrs. ago to clear
    up infections; the sinus issue has again
    reared its ugly head. ENT doc yesterday
    put me on a Gentamicin nasal saline wash
    3 x a day; we'll see if this alleviates COPIUS
    amounts of thick mucous at night. A good
    nights sleep will be welcomed. I also take
    generic Protonix (in the am) and a Nexium
    equivalent at night. I very seldom have
    Heartburn but, on the generics it has become