It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• EsophyX TIF A Big Disappointment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
    hawkins6
    (female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User
    Re: EsophyX TIF A Big Disappointment

No advice, but just to let you know, I feel your pain. My TIF was December 4th 2009.
    I went off my PPIs for a few weeks, but was chewing tums and sleeping with my head elevated. Finally I gave up and now am back on one omeropzale at night. I occassionally skip a night, but all in all, I guess I had to come to the realization that the TIF was a flop.

Last edited by hawkins6; 03-03-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
    mmhisley
    (female)

mmhisley HB User

Hello Hawkins6, I am so sorry to hear that the EspohyX TIF has not worked for you and you're back on your PPI (omeropzale). The TIF is a more difficult process to go through than I expected, and the diet restrictions are a real challenge. Sad and disappointing when all the effort does not pay off with the hoped for successful outcome. I am still taking Nexium, as well as something called carafate, which is intended to heal stomach ulcers. The gastroenterologist has not actually said that I have a stomach ulcer and has just called my latest problem gastritis, which is an inflamation of the stomach lining. I have another appointment on Wed., March 10, and hope to know more at that time. At this point, if I could turn the clock back, I would CERTAINLY NOT have had the EspohyX TIF procedure. I think my acid reflux and the TIF procedure is all related to my current problem, which is causing me some daily stomach pain. I just want to feel better and not hurt! Please take care and I wish you, and everyone reading this, the very best.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #33
    LovePink
    (female)

LovePink HB User

I have the same symptoms.....mine is bile reflux....took a long time to figure this out...I had been on nexium 2x daily and nothing works for me...They just put me on this medicine that is supposed to soak up the bile called colestipol 3x daily...I had my gallbladder out 16 yrs and ago and have a history of pancreatitis, and had an ERCP. On my way to new Pancreas dr. and got myself a new stomach dr. good luck

Last edited by moderator2; 03-16-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 03-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #34
    mmhisley
    (female)

mmhisley HB User

Hello LovePink, Thank you for sharing your information. I had a "gastric emptying study done just this morning. That showed no problems. It does not look at the intestines, which I'm assuming is where the bile reflux problem originates. Could you tell me how your bile reflux was diagnosed? By that I mean, what test was done to idenitfy bile reflux? Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #35
    LovePink
    (female)

LovePink HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LovePink View Post
    I have the same symptoms.....mine is bile reflux....took a long time to figure this out...I had been on nexium 2x daily and nothing works for me...They just put me on this medicine that is supposed to soak up the bile called colestipol 3x daily...I had my gallbladder out 16 yrs and ago and have a history of pancreatitis, and had an ERCP. On my way to new Pancreas dr. and got myself a new stomach dr. good luck

Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #36
    LovePink
    (female)

LovePink HB User

Hi MMhisley,

I had an endo scope and the Dr. saw the bile in my stomach...he said he can tell the difference between acid and bile. I am on my way to a pancreas Dr. to find out why I am having this bile reflux...they say people who have had their gallbladder out get this alot.....I am looking for a surgical fix....so tired of medicines that really don't work.

I hope this helps you.

Love Pink

Old 03-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #37
    mmhisley
    (female)

mmhisley HB User

Hello Love Pink, Thanks for the information. I am seeing a gastroenterologist. What is the speciality of the doctor you will see who you called a "pancreas Dr?" That might be my next step. Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #38
    bowhunter333
    (male)

bowhunter333 HB User

hi hawkins -

I am hearing of quite a few similar experiences. Did you go into the procedure thinking it was reversible? Did you try to get it reversed afterwards? There is a lot going on with the esophyx right now that people considering the procedure need to know.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-25-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #39
    hawkins6
    (female)

I got the TIF thinking it would have results as advertised by my doctor and the manufacturer of the tool used to preform it. He actually has a billboard in town. Guess that should have been my first clue. The TIF was presented to me as a way to never use PPIs again and eat whatever I want. There is no need to reverse the procedure. It doesn't provent me from doing anything I did before the TIF. It's just like it never happened. I am still taking a PPI a day and still experiencing my original problem, which is burning tongue and gums. Maybe that isn't caused by acid reflux, who knows?? I haven't found a doctor or dentist who does!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #40
    hawkins6
    (female)

MMHISLEY - are you still reading this post? If so, let me know how you are doing. I'm not doing so well. I'm trying to get off the PPIs as I've been reading that people say they can cause burning in your mouth and on your tongue. Since that was my origianl problem, I thought I'd try. I've been doing apple cider vinigar and baking soda, so last night was the first night I didn't take my PPI. I woke up at 12:30...a good 5 hours after I last ate with bile coming up my throat. Usually it goes back down (double burning, very unpleasant) but lat night it was sort of fizzing and continued up. When I spit it out, there was a lot of black particals, mixed in with the clear mucus. Does this sound like something I should panic over? Because, I am. The last time I vomitted was in the hospital the morning after the TIF. It was almost all black, but the doctor said that was undoubtedly dried blood from the procedure. I've alwys heard that black is bad...any comments please, for anyone!

Last edited by hawkins6; 04-27-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #41
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

Hello, the burning tongue and gums can't be greatly reduced by using baking soda as toothpaste. Eliminate your regular toothpaste for awhile.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #42
    indycar
    (male)

indycar HB User

As stated earlier, I had my TIF done in December 09. At first was very happy with results (while on very modified diet). Then it seemed like things had gone back to where they were prior to tif. I started PPI's again and realized that having gone cold turkey off the PPI's may have been a mistake. I then weaned myself off the PPI's over about a months time and put myself on a pill a day of ranatide 150 mg first thing in the am. I also went back to a sloped bed in my basement. Things are much much better now. I can have coffee and wine and other stuff I like. Still stay away from tomotoes and red salsa. Sleeping at a slope is inconvenient but i have gotten used to it and it really helps if I have eaten food later at night. I would say I am about 80% better than before TIF and am satisfied with that. The post where someone said that they vomited right after the surgery, according to my sources, this could have ripped out the fasteners and rendered the surgery ineffective. I'm no doctor but it kinda makes sense.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #43
    Jlrss101845
    (female)

Jlrss101845 HB User

Sounds like I dodged a bullet here. I had all sorts of pre-operative testing, went in for the Esophyx TIF last Monday and whenI work up on the recovery room, was told that the surgeon could not do the procedure because I had a narrow airway and he could not fit the procedure tool down my throat. Why could they not know that before subjecting me to the anesthesia risk?! Anyhow, really sore throat still and this is the 6th day after the failed attempt. I am suspecting that the surgeon was maybe too new at doing the procedure. Had the Espohyx TIF Rep in the OR to observe...... maybe I am too suspicious .... Anyhow. Back to the life of sleeping elevated and watching what I eat and taking PPIs. I had better not get a bill from this surgeon or the hospital!

Closed Thread