It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Silent GERD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #31
    Lights242
    (female)

Lights242 HB User
    Re: Silent GERD?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bentleys View Post
    Dont have problems with hives but do have hot throat and sore throat that comes and goes!! Feeling like something is stuck in my throat!! I quit smoking in Jan too good for you It will only do good!! They say nexium take 4 weeks to notice any difference so hang in there!! You should look at the thread what to do by marigolds mucus is on that site and she had some good things to say!! For me it does not matter what I eat I gave up stuff to for weeks made not difference So I eat what I want in moderation!! They said to just eat and the meds will do there job!! It just takes time!! They did say to watch the things you eat in the begining to help get it under control, but you will be able to eat those things again everyone that I have talked to that I know is dealing with this meaning friends or people they know are able to eat the things again just in moderation but I believe there is hope!! I think people do get over this some people may not just depends on how bad it is and if they have other issues!! take care hope this helps some
    Thanks much Bentleys. I am starting to notice a difference on the Nexium, and am to the point where I only have occasional pain my throat/esophagus and now I can see it appears to be related to when I've eaten something or maybe I've been sitting too long or have a high level of stress. I still have behind the sternum pain on occasion but nothing like when I was taking Prilosec. Weird to say, but I am actually looking forward to my endoscope in just 3 weeks so that I can get more answers. I raised my bed up a little bit more and that definitely seemed to help as well. Stress seems to be a huge factor and I'm working hard to improve my responses to stress since there are a lot of things happening in my life over which I have no control so the stress is not going to go away anytime soon!

I will look around on this site for this info, but for anyone who is taking 2 Nexium a day, do you take one in a.m. and one in p.m. or 2 in the morning?

Last edited by Lights242; 02-25-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #32
    Bentleys
    (female)

Bentleys HB User

Hi lights
    I take mine one in the am one in the pm!! I was taking them together but my doc said to take on in the morning and one at night!! I notice the feeling in my throat to come and go do you notice that as well? Sometimes it feels warm and sometimes it dosen't and it does not matter what I eat!! I can eat all the right foods and it still bothers me so I'm just eating!! My doc said people don't notice a good differnce until about 6 weeks!!! So I guess its a waiting game!! The good news is people that I have talked to said once they get it under control they are able to eat the foods again!!! how long have you been dealing with this? How long have you been on the nexium? Chook told me she thought the stinging in my throat could be the muscus is not as much there thats why I'm feeling the stinging and burning in the throat because the mucus is not there as much and that is what was protecting the throat from the acid!! She said she has heard that, And i think i remember hearing that as well! Do you know anything about that? Talk to you soon~!! Good luck you your scope let me know how it goes!! Do you have lpr or gerd?

Last edited by Bentleys; 02-26-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #33
    Lights242
    (female)

Lights242 HB User

Bentleys--my scope is set for 3/22. Frankly, I can't wait because I'm tired of theorizing about what could be wrong. I have experienced some relief, but even though I've been eating all the right foods for the most part, it still comes back. In fact, I just had to take a quick cross country trip last week which involved lots of airport food and the like. I decided to experiment, drank a couple of cokes, ate a soft pretzel soaked in butter no doubt and ate some other stuff totally not on the diet, slept un-elevated. Didn't feel bad at all. Came home and a couple of days later have had a couple of regurgitating incidents and wake up with the sore throat which comes and goes depending on whether I take Gaviscom or not. (I'm trying to limit the antacids b/c I'm on 1200 mg of Tagamet/day for my hives--which have gone away--and I read that you're supposed to separate taking them by 2 hours which is hard to do when you are taking Tagamet every 3-4 hours!) I'll let you all know how the scope turns out.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #34
    modublin22
    (female)

modublin22 HB User
    Red face Re: Silent GERD?

LPR / thyroid issues
    I am going through the ringer with this LPR but my ENT doc was not very helpful. One night after eating pizza in January. I was fine after eating for about 1/2 hour then I started coughing and choking on my salvia. Got to the point I couldnt breathe, husband called 911. They took me to the hospital. They did no testing, looked at me said you have acid reflux here's a nexium and ativan follow up with your GI doc.
    So I saw my GI doc he did an endoscope, it came out normal, no reflux. So I continued to have breathing issues, ended up at family doc said oh you probably have bronchitis. Gave me an inhaler, predisone for 5 days, albuterol, and amoxiclian. I followed up with my pulmonary doc who sent me to an ENT. Speech pathologist stuck the camera down my throat said it was okay but I could possibly have LPR. Also did a barium swallow which was normal.
    So I started taking nexium 2 x a day, I am only eating grilled fish, veggies, smoothies, graham crackers, pretzels, and water. I am not eating anything that is causing acid reflux. Taking nexium 2 x a day and added zantac. I eat and drink and immediately start clearing my throat and coughing. In the meantime I was having swallowing issues, (that comes and goes) did a barium swallow it was normal. My chiropractor told me to have my thyroid looked at so they did an ultrasound and sure enough they found 13 nodules on my thyroid. Back to my ENT I go, he didnt examine me walked in the room said you have acid reflux I will see you in a year there is nothing I can do for that or the nodules. Aggg. So I am waiting to see an endocrinologist. I am 5'4", was 115 pounds I am not about 98 lbs. No one seems to think thats a problem. I went and saw a new doc (PCP) the other day for a second opinion. I am so frustrated I cant even explain. Do I have LPR, or is it the thyroid that is causing all of my problems. The only reason they did the ultrasound is because I complained about being 35 years old and not having regular periods. I cant eat any foods that are hard to swallow like apples (which are great for reflux) has anyone experienced this? I am miserable and getting worse but its nothing but a waiting game with doctors. Ended up in the ER last night due to breathing problems. Still having them a lot today.
    I have a call into my pulmonary doc. O2 stats at hospital are fine, but cant take a deep breath, chest is tight. I have asked him about asthma and I just get brushed off. I know its from not eating much the acid is getting into my lungs but when I do eat (the stuff I am eating) I am constantly still clearing my throat. So frustrating. does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #35
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Have you tried a humidifier next to your bed to keep the air moist in your room at night? The moisture can be very soothing to your airways. I know this is not much, but your symptoms sound so much to me like asthma and that is what I used to do for my girls when they were little and going through their bouts of asthma and bronchitis. They were, of course, doing their albuterol treatments, but the moist air was wonderful!

Something else you can try is taking a warm/hot shower and breathing the steam from the shower to see if that is soothing to you.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #36
    tex2007
    (female)

tex2007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by modublin22 View Post
    LPR / thyroid issues
    I am going through the ringer with this LPR but my ENT doc was not very helpful. One night after eating pizza in January. I was fine after eating for about 1/2 hour then I started coughing and choking on my salvia. Got to the point I couldnt breathe, husband called 911. They took me to the hospital. They did no testing, looked at me said you have acid reflux here's a nexium and ativan follow up with your GI doc.
    So I saw my GI doc he did an endoscope, it came out normal, no reflux. So I continued to have breathing issues, ended up at family doc said oh you probably have bronchitis. Gave me an inhaler, predisone for 5 days, albuterol, and amoxiclian. I followed up with my pulmonary doc who sent me to an ENT. Speech pathologist stuck the camera down my throat said it was okay but I could possibly have LPR. Also did a barium swallow which was normal.
    So I started taking nexium 2 x a day, I am only eating grilled fish, veggies, smoothies, graham crackers, pretzels, and water. I am not eating anything that is causing acid reflux. Taking nexium 2 x a day and added zantac. I eat and drink and immediately start clearing my throat and coughing. In the meantime I was having swallowing issues, (that comes and goes) did a barium swallow it was normal. My chiropractor told me to have my thyroid looked at so they did an ultrasound and sure enough they found 13 nodules on my thyroid. Back to my ENT I go, he didnt examine me walked in the room said you have acid reflux I will see you in a year there is nothing I can do for that or the nodules. Aggg. So I am waiting to see an endocrinologist. I am 5'4", was 115 pounds I am not about 98 lbs. No one seems to think thats a problem. I went and saw a new doc (PCP) the other day for a second opinion. I am so frustrated I cant even explain. Do I have LPR, or is it the thyroid that is causing all of my problems. The only reason they did the ultrasound is because I complained about being 35 years old and not having regular periods. I cant eat any foods that are hard to swallow like apples (which are great for reflux) has anyone experienced this? I am miserable and getting worse but its nothing but a waiting game with doctors. Ended up in the ER last night due to breathing problems. Still having them a lot today.
    I have a call into my pulmonary doc. O2 stats at hospital are fine, but cant take a deep breath, chest is tight. I have asked him about asthma and I just get brushed off. I know its from not eating much the acid is getting into my lungs but when I do eat (the stuff I am eating) I am constantly still clearing my throat. So frustrating. does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
    Yes, it sounds exactly like Asthma. My symptoms paralled yours almost to a T. I maintain control of the Asthma with Spiriva (1puff in am) amd Asmanex
    (1 puff in the pm.) If my reflux gets out of control, so does the asthma; it's a delicate balancing act. I take Nexium in the am and Protonix in the pm.; I am able to eat and drink pretty much anything. I do not use a Humidifier or Vaporizer. I have severe allergies that play a part in all this too. Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #37
    crafty124
    (female)

crafty124 HB User

Modublin22,

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I also had real difficulty taking deep breaths. Try chewing 2 Gaviscon tablets after eating and then a couple of swallows of water. This antacid coats your esophagus so the acid won't inflame your lungs. I tried it, and it worked for me. I did have to switch to Prevacid 30mg 2 times a day, because the Nexium didn't work for me. But the Gaviscon was a lifesaver until the Prevacid really started to work. I could actually take deep breaths without constant yawning after a couple of days. The instructions say that you can actually chew up to 16 tablets in one day, and several days at the beginning I came close to 16. You can also get a generic version at Walmart that works the same and is half of the price. Best of luck! Hope that this works for you. I got this idea from someone else here on Healthboards. It was a lifesaver for me.

Last edited by crafty124; 04-17-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #38
    Lights242
    (female)

Lights242 HB User

I found Gaviscon helps a lot. When my esophagus felt really bad, I also drank aloe vera juice on occasion. It does not taste great, but it really did help. One thing that is really helping right now is the wedge pillow I purchased (by Medslant I believe). I took someone's recommendation on the review and got a memory foam type pillow to go with it so it keeps me from sliding down the pillow at night. I thought I would be uncomfortable on it, but I'm not and it definitely seems to help with nighttime reflux which I think was a big problem for me.

Has anyone tried activated charcoal? A friend told me she uses it for heartburn/stomach upset instead of antacids & I just wondered if anyone else experienced it.

I had my endoscope several weeks ago which showed reflux esophagitis and a low ph. Since low ph can be an indicator of a gastrin producing tumor (pancreas), I am getting a blood test this week to further rule that out. The low ph also could result from being off my nexium prior to the test (I was getting a colonoscopy as well so it didn't make sense to take any meds the 2 days prior to the test) as your ph allegedly nosedives after you go off them and stabilizes later. I've had pain on the left side of my neck--the side most irritated when the reflux was bad--and now have some left subclavicle pain and left armpit lymph node pain (no fever though). I'm wondering if I could be having referred pain from esophageal spasms and general damage I had for the last 3 months. I'm trying hard not to freak out about it especially since my scope results were pretty good considering how bad I felt, but it's hard when your body is doing things that seem like you have no control over them.

My doctor is talking about the modified barium food swallow, the double ph test and the manometry as possibilities. After seeing my endoscopy bill, I can't wait. :0

Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #39
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I also like Gaviscon (the liquid works best for me) and have found it a life saver while I was going through serious acid rebound. I take it at night and it works very well in keeping heartburn at bay all night.

My only caution with Gaviscon is that I think it contains aluminum and, though the label says you can use it so many times per day, I would probably use it a bit less frequently (maybe two or three times a day) and try to supplement with DGL tablets, aloe juice and other remedies that may help soothe the esophagus.

I think it is probably fine to use the Gaviscon as often as it states in the bottle for short term use or even a few weeks if needed, but I don't think that should be a long term remedy. But when it hurts, it sure is a Godsend. It keeps all that gunk down from coming back up into your esophagus and other delicate parts.

Rose

Old 07-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #40
    modublin22
    (female)

modublin22 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Silent GERD?

I am at the point where I am so frustrated I could scream. I tried Nexium for 5 months nothing. I have tried Kapidex, not sure if it worked, they put me on Reglan which I dont recommend, horrible stuff! My GI doc scoped me, and says I don't have reflux, ENT says I have LPR. I havent eaten anything that would give me reflux. I literally eat the same stuff everyday. Banana smoothie, fish, veggies, graham crackers, sometimes pretzels. Banana's. Sometimes watermelon. Corn on the cob. Oh and I do eat a box of pudding at night. (I know Milk is supposed to be bad for you but sometimes this is all I can get in me during the day) I will have maybe one good day a week if I am lucky. Right now I have taken myself off of all meds and seeing my family doc tomorrow. My chiro says that you need acid to digest food, which is true, but when my valve isnt functioning (which is what the problem is for people with reflux) I want it fixed! They have done a barium swallow, but they have not done a stomach empty test or a PH test. Oh and I have only drank water. This all hit me out of the blue as well. It is affecting my home life as well as my work. I also am having stomach issues as a result of all of this. I am trying to treat it naturally now, but I guess nothing will work when your valve just isnt working properly. I hate going to ER's because they wont do anything. The past week I have really been struggling. My biggest problem is in the diaphragm area I have a lot of problems breathing. I dont have a hiatal hernia. Just seems like a lot of gas makes it difficult to breathe. Regardless of what I eat or drink, the second it hits my mouth I am clearing my throat which I think is just odd and annoying.
    Some people say this is curable, others say it is not. This is not something I want to live with the rest of my life. I am young and would like to have another child. I am looking into the Esophyx, or Stomaphyx if I can talk my docs into it. My bed is elevated, I have followed all the acid reflux guidelines and no change. Would just love my life back.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #41
    sherrygirl2
    (female)

sherrygirl2 HB User

Never mind...

Last edited by sherrygirl2; 02-26-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #42
    melody627
    (female)

melody627 HB User

Hi
    I have silent reflux and was prescribed for PPI's like all doctors do. I dont think they will help because it aint really too much acid but a structural dysfunction. I had bad side effects from prilosec and am afraid to try nexium if i can even take it. Someone on one of these boards suggested Manuka honey,, I tried it this morning and gonna do that in mornings when i am home...it coats your esophagus or something...I have also read that taking powdered calcium citrate will calm down the LPR
    Like you I am ready to try anything, mine flairs up with large meals, fats and alot of carbohydrates, it changes your life completely...hope this helps

Old 04-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #43
    jenga
    (female)

jenga HB User

Hello there! I was directed to this website thru a friend that posts here. THANK YOU. I've never had problems with any kind of reflux until suddenly I started having fullness in my throat a couple weeks ago. I had a thyroid u/s which was "normal". Then a status post on ** had my friend sending me suggestions and ultimately this link.

I am taking nexium daily (for 5 days now). Saturday night i wanted to rip my throat out it was so bad...but the last two days haven't been quite as bad. I also started gaviscon tabs tonight. I have my fingers crossed. what boggles my mind is how it all of a sudden started....

It's so nice to know i'm not alone and hopefully get some relief.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #44
    CMinor83
    (female)

CMinor83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by modublin22 View Post
    LPR / thyroid issues
    Hi there, I am having the same problem. I have been through an identical situation to yours and am still going through it. I went to a hospital who gave me Lorazepam because a pill was stuck in my throat. They gave me enough Lorazepam to sustain me for awhile. Three days later, I suddenly could not eat at all (same symptoms as you). I stayed on the Lorazepam for almost two months later and then found out that Ativan/Lorazapam actually causes acid reflux. I am now withdrawing from the medicine. All I can say is that unexplained severe acid reflux is usually set off by a medicine reaction.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #45
    toxophilite
    (female)

toxophilite HB User

Just found this site, it's good to know I'm not alone in this. I don't have heartburn, mainly belching and occasional gas pain around an inguinal hernia area. Chest discomfort but not really pain, mainly around bra band area or upper breast bone, it moves around a bit, not the same place all the time. I also have what they call fecal leakage which comes and goes. All this tends to cause sleep apnea, probably it is worsened by anxiety. I take 20mg Nexium once a day and a probiotic also once a day, I haven't discussed it with my doctor, too scared I suppose, but it is liveable, just worrying. I lost my partner 6 years ago, my eldest daughter died in 2009 and my other daughter died last February, can't talk to them about it any more. I was a smoker (a pack a day) but went cold turkey nearly 3 years ago expecting to feel better, not sure that I am.
    I feel better just being able to talk about it, thanks to anyone who may be listening.

Closed Thread