HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Silent GERD? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/732317-silent-gerd.html)

crafty124 01-22-2010 12:39 PM

Silent GERD?

I am being treated by my internist for GERD and gastritis: Nexium 40mg, 2 times a day. I DO NOT have any heartburn, just uncomfortable high stomach pain(at bra line), burping, shortness of breath,(yawning, etc) and pain high in abdomen that shoots straight back to my back. Started beginning of Dec after eating a blooming onion(boo). Burped steady for about 3 hours. Started taking Nexium 40mg 2 times a day about 3 weeks ago, was only taking it 1 a day before that. Gaviscon after each meal and before bed helps alot with my breathing. I guess it helps to coat the esophagus. I'm better, but still not 100%. Eat alot of veggies (no onions), and chicken. Have lost 15lbs since this started (the only good thing). Almost afraid to eat.
Anyway, DR wants me to take both Nexium at the same time each day. What about the evenings? That is when I have the most problems. How long do the effects of Nexium last in a day? Should I split it up? Is this Silent Gerd? How long has it taken others to be back to normal, if ever? I'll take any advice. I've learned so much from these boards. Thanks.

fairytaleDreams 01-22-2010 06:53 PM

Re: Silent GERD?

I first saw my doctor about a very annoying earache that had been going strong for 3 weeks. I also mentioned that my throat hurt. alot. It was like having a sore throat allll the time. He said it was probably connected to what was wrong with my ears, and that my tonsils were swollen. Many many appointments later he gave up on me and sent me to an ENT. The ENT said the problems were separate. My tonsils are in their normal state, bigger than most people's. I still haven't been diagnosed in my ears (boo). BUT I do have what he called "reflux esophagitis". Basically, the acid that travelled back up my throat eroded away all the lining in my esophagus, which is why it hurts 24/7. I didn't have heartburn, but he had me take Prilosec for 5 months. Did absolutely nothing. Then he prescribed Kapidex and I've been taking that for 3 or 4 months. My throat still hurts but I definitely noticed a difference, the pain isn't as awful as it was before. And you're right about all the food restrictions.. it really sucks :(

Bentleys 02-04-2010 02:59 PM

Hi I'm new here!! My Doctor thinks I have lpr What is the best ppi for lpr? I just got a prep for nexium 40 mg twice a day!!! I dont know what triggers it? It seems like even when I watch my diet it is still there!! I have been taking prilosec for 1 week notice a little difference!! My major thing is feeling like something is stuck in my throat!!! Comes and goes is that part of lpr? anyone taking nexium and still be able to eat what you want over time? When the say no coffee and soda do they mean beause of the caffine!!so could you drink decaf? no caffine soda!!??like sprite? I was a light smoker but have quit for about a month now!! Any help would be great!!

tex2007 02-04-2010 04:24 PM

crafty124

Your old "normal" is gone forever. If the symptoms can be controlled by
Nexium twice a day, take the Nexium and RUN. My GERD began 6 yrs. ago
and incorporated Asthma and sinus infections and even pnuemonia as fast
as it could. I manage each symptom routinely as they raise their ugly heads.
I've had the Nissen (fundoplication) and laser surgery on the sinuses. I
still have to (on a daily basis) address the GERD. Things are much better now
with knowledge and experience but, it's a never ending challenge to just feel
good (and function well). I take a generic Protonix in the eve. and generic
Nexium in the am. My bed is not elevated, I do enjoy alcohol (socially) and coffee twice a day. I CANNOT indulge in chocolate which breaks my heart.
Even tho I live in Texas, spicy foods are a no-no. I can work (real estate),
exercise (as long as it's not too cold) and enjoy life. Good luck to you!

abbydabbydew 02-04-2010 04:47 PM

I partiallly responded to this on the other thread, but can add a little more here. You have two sphincter muscles in play here - one at the top of the esophagus and another at the bottom. When the bottom one malfunctions, you get GERD. When they both malfunction, acid reaches the delicate throat and vocal fold area - and, voila, you have LPR. When acid damages your throat tissues, it can feel like something is stuck in your throat all of the time and it can make swallowing quite uncomfortable. I had this sensation for nearly two months until it finally, blessedly, went away (after 2 months of medication - Prilosec, 20 mg, 2x daily - and careful attention to my diet). I feel I must add here that anxiety can also play a role in this and can cause this same sensation of something stuck in the throat (without anything at all being there). Look up "globus hystericus" if you're curious about this. BUT, if you're not having anxiety issues, it's probably the LPR. Give the medication some time to work. The recommendation for PPI therapy for LPR is to maintain the high dosing for a good 6 months before trying to wean off the PPI. This is because the damaged tissues can take quite awhile to heal and you need a relatively acid-free environment for this to happen. I'm at my 4-month point and feeling much, much better (although not yet back to normal). Good luck!

Bentleys 02-04-2010 05:50 PM

Well thank you so much for your advice!!:) Its good to hear that your doing well and you can get relief form this I have had this on and off for 4 yrs happend out of the blue!! I finally found a good ent that said he thinks this is it!! They always said it was my sinius and had my tonsills out sinius surgery!! Finally found a ent and he said silent reflux so hopefully this will work!!! I just want my life back thanks for talking with me!!! Do you take both of your pills at the same time? or one in morning and one at dinner? I heard you can take them together and it is suppose to work better is that true have you ever heard of that? Thanks for all you help!!:) I dont think its anxiety I tried somethings for that and it did not help at all!! I think when I have that feeling it gives me anxiety cause it drives me crazy!! It will come and go when its not there i feel great but when it comes its hard not to think about it!! I think the meds will help and I will just go from there!! My doc said I should not have to be on these for life but if I do I would rather live life and enjoy it and take the meds than not and be miserble thanks and good luck to everyone

crafty124 02-05-2010 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone for responding. I am now taking Kapidex 60 and feeling much better after such a short time. The Nexium was getting me nowhere fast. Just didn't work for me. I still take Gaviscon after every meal (I think just to be on the safeside, so my breathing won't be affected). The pain wasn't good, but the feeling of shortness of breath was the worst. Never had swallowing problems. I pray that the Kapidex works as it seems to be so far. I have faced the facts that I will always have to be careful with what I eat. Have lost 20 lbs since this started 2 months ago. That's the only good thing. Most of what I have learned I learned from these threads, not from the DR. Thank-you.

Bentleys 02-05-2010 10:47 AM

Glad to hear your doing well!! I have not heard of that ppi!! Glad it is working for you!!

abbydabbydew 02-05-2010 02:12 PM

Glad to talk, and for the record, I never had anxiety issues until LPR came my way. It wrecked my chest for several months and, until a wonderful ENT finally diagnosed me, my family doctor was sending me down the heart path. He and I were both sure something was not right with my heart because I was having so much chest pain. And yes, on the worst days, I was quite anxious about all of it. Most doctors are not educated to recognize LPR, and some GI doctors won't even evaluate you until you've first had a cardiac workup because LPR and cardiac problems present with many of the same symptoms initially. Oh well, many tests and much $$$ later I at least now know that my heart looks great. :)

I also have had sinus problems for years with periods of heavy drainage, bad coughs, and loss of my voice once or twice a year. The ENT said most of that was probably from LPR and that PPI therapy might mostly resolve these symptom. So far, so good.

As for when to take the pills, take them how your doctor presribes them. My ENT prescribed omeprazole 20 mg twice daily (before breakfast and before dinner) for me, but the GI doc now wants me to take just a 40 mg pill before breakfast. He says this is easier for the patient - because that dinnertime pill is sometimes hard to get in half an hour before you eat. It does seem to be important that you take the pill around 1/2 an hour before you eat and then you must eat something. For instance, don't take it when you awake and then skip breakfast. (Okay, yes, I did that a few times because I'm not a big breakfast eater.) You need to eat a short while after taking the PPI.

Bentleys 02-05-2010 05:54 PM

The 40 mg sounds easier for me too!! The pharmist said to make sure you eat as well because it wont work if you don't !! How long did it take before you noticed a difference??? Thanks so much for you help!! I' m glad to hear you doing good there is light at the end of the tunnel!!:) My biggest thing is the thing in my throat!! and it will get sore sometimes!! It seems to always be on my left side!!! Yeah when this thing comes and goes,and when it comes it drives me crazy!! Its so nice to have someone to talk to that understands you!!! talk to you soon!!

abbydabbydew 02-05-2010 06:47 PM

Man, are you ever excited! !!!!!!!!! LOL

As for taking the single pill, I'm not sure it's a great idea. The ENT doc told me that omeprazole works for less than 24 hours and taking the two pills thus gives you acid suppression for the entire 24-hr. period. If this is true, the single 40mg dose might not work as well as the twice daily regimen. :confused: I'm not sure I'm going to go to the 40mg dose. I like the flexibility of the two pills. When I'm feeling really good, I sometimes skip the evening dose and just take an H2 blocker or nothing.

Bentleys 02-05-2010 09:32 PM

I know like I said I'm excited to know there is a good possiblity that I will feel better lol!! It is nice to know that I can get this under control!!! Well I'm taking the nexium right now, my doctor said that get it under control and then we may cut back and go back to prilosec he said if your insurance will cover the nexium do it he thinks its the best, but he said other wise he uses prilosec with good results!!! I read somewhere on here that the 40 mg works well together in the morning, so I think I will try it and play around with it!!!But like I said they said if you do that make sure you have a good breakfast after you take it or it will be inifective!! take care hope you keep doing well I'm happy for you to hear you are getting it under control!! :wave: Talk to you soon!! lol

mmhisley 02-08-2010 07:02 PM

Just wanted to note here that the official Nexium website states:
Take NEXIUM at least 1 hour before a meal
Take NEXIUM at the same time every day

I was concerned...if you are taking Nexium and then eating a "good breakfast" right away, the Nexium will not work as it should. Best wishes to you.

Bentleys 02-09-2010 08:37 AM

I'm taking the med and then eating 1 hour later!!
That's what they told me to do is that right?? They said other wise the meds won't work!! It's so werid my symtoms come and go!! Do u take nexium does it work for your lpr? How long before I see good results?? There really isn't certain foods that trigger it that I notice it just seems to be there most of the time!! I was a smoker I know that can cause lpr but I have quit for 3 weeks now so maybe now that I have quit it will helps this problem!!:) if you have any ideas or things u have experinecd would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot

mmhisley 02-10-2010 09:59 AM

I have had acid reflux for 4 years and have been taking one Nexium 40 mg once a day during this time. (It is right to take it at least one hour before meals.) Five weeks ago, I had a surgical procedure called EspohyX Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF). The procedure is performed by a surgeon in a hopsital under general anesthesia. A special device is placed over an endoscope and inserted through the mouth into the stomach. Tissue from the top of the stomach is pulled to form a fold and fasterners are put in place to hold the fold. This is done multiple times until the top of the stomach is tightened, which in theory eliminates acid reflux because acid can no longer escape from the stomach. The data states that 80% of the people who have had this procedure no longer have to take medication for GERD. The other 20% or the people take medication some or all of the time. It is not yet clear if my EspohyX TIF was successful. I had a return of my acid reflux as soon as I tried to reduce the Nexium I was taking. The doctor told me to continue taking the Nexium for a few more weeks. After that, I will try reducing how much I take...with the goal of getting off of it completely. I'm hopeful.

Bentleys 02-11-2010 07:01 AM

I'm on nexium 40 mg twice a day I take them both in the morning I heard that this can work well!! So I'm giving it a try!!! Can smoking cause this problem? I did smoke but now have quit so I'm hoping that now that I have quit this will take care of the problem!!! My doc said if I'm not feeling better by March 5 he is gonna scope me!! and if he recommends surgery I will do it anything to try and fix this!!! It does not matter what i eat I have not really found any trigger foods I only drink decaf coffee and only a 1/2 a cup in the morning and if I ever have a soda it is sprite!! I could care less about the caffine but I have given up smoking i cant' give up everything at once!!! I read some where I this girl quit smoking and is taking her meds and not having any problems anymore that would be wonderful thats what I'm hoping for!! Have you heard If Gaviscon works well with ppi? Hope you continue to do well!! I will say a prayer for you!!
I notcie today the feeling of something stuck in my throat is hardly there today!!! Sometimes It just feels warm my throat!! So maybe My meds are working!!! What were you symtoms with lpr? and when your meds starting working what were your symtoms like!!! thanks alot talk to you soon

mmhisley 02-14-2010 04:37 PM

Bentleys: I do hope that your Nexium is working well and that you will continue to feel better. After I started taking Nexium, it took several weeks for my sore throat to heal and for that something-stuck-in-my-throat feeling to go away. Great that you quit smoking - that is certain to improve your overall health. Just a note of caution, my doctor recommended that I not drink any carbonated drinks - which would include Sprite. So, you might consider eliminating Sprite to see if that will help you. Sorry, I have never tried Gaviscon, so I don't know if that helps of not. Best wishes to you.

Bentleys 02-15-2010 07:14 AM

Did you your sore throat come and go? Some days its hardly there and other days it there all the time!! My throat is always on the left side when it bothers me!!and the days its hardly there I had not changed any eating habits at all that is what is so werid!! The pharmist said i should notice a improvement with in one week so that is what confuses me!!! Did you notice in the beginning that it your symptoms come and go and then just got better from there on out? I just don't know if I should have my doc scope me now or wait til march 5?!! Are you able to eat foods again like chocolate and caffeine and soda now that you have it under control!! talk to you soon thanks again for all your help!!

abbydabbydew 02-15-2010 11:23 AM

Bentleys - you do realize that March 5th is only 3 weeks away, right? Breathe in...hold...breathe out...CALMMMMMMMMM yourself. :) Give your medication some time to work. It's probably not gonna matter one bit if you wait until March to get scoped, my dear. The more anxious you are about this, the worse your symptoms are going to seem. You need to exercise a little patience and turn your attention to other things. Get off this board and go do something else. LOL

Bentleys 02-15-2010 03:05 PM

Yeah your probably right its just so frustrating and I have been going through this for on and off for 4 years I just want to feel better Its almost like I'm afraid to eat cause everyone say something different about foods!!! I would think the nexium would be working faster since I was on prilosec first but I guess not!! so thanks for the advice I do need to have more patience I just want a quick fix and it is gonna take time!!! So just keep plugging away I'm not gonna worry about the foods so much watch caffeine and choc and acid food!! thanks I ll let you know what I find out!! Like is said on and off for 4 years but just got a diagonsed in Jan and they did not have me on ppis they had me on Zantac only started ppis end of Jan