It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Acid Reflux and Klonopin (Clonazepam)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
twistedup
(male)

twistedup HB User
Re: Acid Reflux and Klonopin (Clonazepam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity check View Post
Long story short: my elderly mother has been on 0.5 mg daily doses of Klonopin for about a year (since after my Dad died 22 months ago; he was also on Klonopin before succumbing to side-effects from Parkinsonism. Horrible!). My mom was on the Klonopin because of sleep issues (couldn't sleep more than a couple hours per night...was making her woozy and semi-psychotic because of the lack of sleep).

Unfortunately, she also suffers from acid reflux. The doctor had her on Nexium, then another acid reflux treatment.

She eventually had to go off the prescription treatments for acid reflux and tried more natural approach. She was stuck in a bad choice: reduce her dependence on Klonopin, and she couldn't sleep. Stay on it, and she'd be woozy with drastically reduced mental acuity and ability to cope, along with increased acid reflux. After changing doctors, she's got her Klonopin down to about .25 mg per day, but at a price with her sleep.

She went into a sleep clinic this past Monday, and she is now waiting out the two weeks or so for results. Newest doctor thinks it may be sleep apnea.

The ripsaw effect of the competing symptoms has gotten worse. She now feels sick nearly all the time from the acid reflux. Doctor has no further suggestions until they complete the review of her sleep clinic visit.

I didn't know anything about benzodiazepine dependency until my mom went through this. I wish I'd been in the room when her first doctor suggested using it...I'd have tried to talk them both out of it. Reports say benzodiazepine withdrawal is worse than opiates like heroin. Especially hard on an 80-year-old woman.

Anyone have similar experience? Anyone know of a way to reduce this ripsaw effect?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
twistedup
(male)

twistedup HB User

This will sound strange but worked wonders for myself and brother-in-law.

When you have discomfort, take 1 tbs of apple-cider vinegar. Chase with a little water to ease the throat and after taste. Found this on a natural healing website. This worked much better than any of the 4 prescription meds. Stomach must say, "Wow, got enough acid here. Guess don't need to make any more!!".

I thought I would have for rest of my life, now no acid reflux for 2 years unless I swig high content alcohol.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
rosebloom
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

All benzodiazapines are extremely habit forming. Doctors have know this for decades (since the 1960's), but still fail to inform patients. They are supposed to be used short term or very sparingly along with other forms of medications to treat anxiety. It is also not supposed to be a medication that is used for sleep other than every once in a while.

Sad to say, but it sounds to me that your mother's doctor put her on a medicine that may or may have not been intended to be used long term, but failed to take proper measures to wean your mother off when she should have been. The weaning off process is another story altogether. You cannot stop taking a benzodiazapine all at once because you can experience serious side effects like hallucinations or convulsions.

Sounds to me like your mother may need a new primary care doctor.

My elderly mother takes Melatonin for sleep regulation. It is a health food supplement that is sold in health food stores and probably many pharmacies as well. She cleared it with her doctor who has her taking it every other night. It seems to work fairly well. Before, she took Restoril for a while, but even then her doctor did not want her on that long term.

It is very tough to deal with these situations and I am sorry your mother is in this predicament. I hope she can be weaned off the Klonopin successfully and other remedies found for her reflux and insomnia. Please remember the bone depleting properties of PPI's (Nexium) on women who are past menopause and the correlation that exists between taking PPI's long term (over two years) and hip fractures in the elderly. I think I was on my way to becoming a statistic (at 55) when I got myself off the PPI I was taking.

If she has taken Nexium for a while and is now trying to get off as well, she will likely experience acid rebound, which means that for a period of weeks or months her reflux may be worse than when she started medication altogether. See if her doctor can provide other alternatives, i.e., an H2 blocker during the weaning off process. There are also a ton of other natural remedies that you can find by reading through these posts. I wrote a very extensive one a few months back titled "Getting OFF PPI's What Has Worked For ME Four Months Later" or something like that.

Hope your mother feels better soon.

Rose

Last edited by rosebloom; 09-16-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
ArsLonga
(male)

ArsLonga HB User

I also had problems after being about 10 days on Clonazepam, developing a cough that turned into bronchitis in a very few days. I went to see two doctors right away, but neither one suspected a connection to the clonazepam. They put me on antibiotics. After a couple of months, I started to suspect that the clonazepam was causing atypical acid reflux (no burning) and inflaming my airways. The warnings on the insert say a side effect could be coughing, but doesn't say why. So I weened myself off the drug, and the symptoms immediately got better, but have not gone away completely. Does anyone know the chances of this correcting itself? Also, where can I find the research connecting acid reflux to clonazepam? My doctor doesn't believe me when I suggest a connection. Never had acid reflux before taking clonazepam. Maybe a class action lawsuit is needed to make the company add a warning for acid reflux.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
ladypar35
(female)

ladypar35 HB User

I too have been taking clonazepam 0.5 for 2 years and have developed acid reflux from it. I was orginally put on them for anxiety. Never knew that they could cause such a terrible problem. I suffer with acid reflux every day now for a month. I go see the G.I. in 3 more weeks. Seems like there should be some type of law suit brought against the makers of these horrible drugs. I never suffered with this. Was always able to eat what I wanted with no problems. I am not over weight and was pretty healthy eater until this arose. I have since started to wean my own self off of clonazepam. drop down to .25mg for 4 days then went to valium to rid the side effects of the other pill. So far so good no serious side effects but still suffering with acid reflux no matter how bland of diet i follow. I wish everyone on here the best, in their fight to stay healthy and best advice avoid xanax, clonazepam at all cost.

Closed Thread