It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #106
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayner1 View Post
    This is great information about H2 blockers...do you happen to know about Zantac is is more 'binding' or 'loosening' or is it more balanced ?
    Thanks for the info !
    Hi Jayner. Zantac is definitely more "binding" for me if I understand your question correctly. Not sure what its PH is. But that is a good question since we are supposed to be taking in more "alkaline" foods and stuff if we have these GERD issues going on. But I would love to hear more information if anyone has it. Maybe there is a pharmacist out there reading this who can answer the question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #107
    darkchoc4
    (male)

darkchoc4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayner1 View Post
    This is great information about H2 blockers...do you happen to know about Zantac is is more 'binding' or 'loosening' or is it more balanced ?
    Thanks for the info !
    Hi Jayner!

So we are talking different things here. There are the PPIs, there are the H2 blockers, and there are antacids (acid neutralizers). Tums and Mylanta and Gaviscon are antacids. Zantac is an H2 blocker.

With H2 blockers, some people report diarrhea and some report constipation, but IMO other factors are probably the cause - dietary details. But antacids' effects are universal: Tums (calcium) is binding, Mylanta (magnesium and aluminum) is loosening. I thought Gaviscon has some of both, but checking now, it looks more like Mylanta.

Key point: Tums (Calcium and Iron generally) are binding. Side effects of some other antacids are mildly laxative. Knowing this about antacids can help decide which to use (or avoid!) for immediate relief of heartburn.

Completely different 'disease', but IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome - frequent diarrhea) can sometimes be helped by adding Tums to the diet. All this learned the hard way! Passing it on... hoping it helps.

Last edited by darkchoc4; 04-17-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: remove link

Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #108
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Well, I may be beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with respect to the acid rebound. Today is April 19 and I am a few days short of the third month anniversary of the day I stopped taking Aciphex. I have been nearly one hundred percent heartburn free for a week and only taking the Zantac twice per day. I have not had to take antiacids, chew gum or take a lot of DGL. I hate to jinx myself but I feel almost normal. Maybe I am on the other side of the rebound. I can see myself now staying on the Zantac until I can begin to decrease the dose from 150 mg to 75 mg. I hope I continue on this course and can be a success story.

I guess the moral of the story is that it can take up to three months for one's body to get used to being without the PPI and for blood levels of gastrin to go back down to normal.

Rose

Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #109
    LMF123
    (female)

LMF123 HB User

Hello Rose,

I am so glad to hear you are feeling well. It was worth all the discomfort if you are finally on the other side of the discomfort. I for one appreciate your postings as I am at the four week mark and still look for direction and hope that this can be done. I would be interested to know if you are able to reduce the Zantac also. Once again, thank you for investing your time into this forum.

I personally had a few brutal days with what felt like migraines (which I do not suffer from) but these were the worst headaches I have ever had. I initially thought it was from the Zantac as I had begun to take in on an empty stomach. However, it is the days where I first completely eliminated caffeine from my diet. So I am still not sure which is the culprit. I have since taken Pepcid Complete, usually with something in my stomach. I would wait for the symptoms first and then take when the heartburn started. This has been ok but I may still try the Zantac again since it is now almost a week without caffeine. The smell of my husband's coffee is the morning is torture!

I also have had some burning that feels like it is straight into the back of my throat? Has anyone had this symptom? I do feel better than a month ago and my intake of Tums is on the decline. I am sticking it out at this point but I continue to turn to this site for advice.

Take care.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #110
    holler1
    (male)

holler1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMF123 View Post
    I personally had a few brutal days with what felt like migraines (which I do not suffer from) but these were the worst headaches I have ever had. I initially thought it was from the Zantac as I had begun to take in on an empty stomach. However, it is the days where I first completely eliminated caffeine from my diet. So I am still not sure which is the culprit. I have since taken Pepcid Complete, usually with something in my stomach. I would wait for the symptoms first and then take when the heartburn started. This has been ok but I may still try the Zantac again since it is now almost a week without caffeine.
    Going off caffeine quickly will definitely cause bad headaches for several days. I've done it several times. Better to taper off and then they may not be as bad.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #111
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi LMF:

At week four, I think it is safe to say that you are still going to experience quite a bit of burning. At week four and much later, I was still having three decent days followed by two pretty rotten days. Those were the days when I took a lot of DGL to soothe my throat and esophagus. I would also take Gaviscon after dinner which I have now not taken for over three weeks. That Gaviscon was a lifesaver. Not the best thing to take long term because it contains aluminum, but great for short term use. You may want to try it and see if it works for you.

Everyone has their little remedies that they swear by. I think mine is going to be coconut water or coconut juice (the unsweetened kind). I have been sipping it during the day. Today, I experienced a little bit of heartburn after dinner and I began to sip the coconut juice and it is now gone! It's amazing how we all have different remedies that help us. Apple cider vinegar and ginger give me terrible heartburn and yet they are touted as heartburn remedies by many.

I am still on the Zantac twice a day. I take it on an empty stomach thirty minutes before breakfast and dinner. I have tried to take Pepcid twice and, for whatever reason, it does not seem to work as well for me as the Zantac.

I ate a bit more carbohydrates today than usual and that might be why I am experiencing a bit of heartburn tonight. I am reading more about low carb diets to see how safe it is to be in one and how low on carbs one can safely go without risking one's health.

I absolutely love coffee and really miss it. I am going to research to see if there is such as thing as "acid free" coffee out there. I know it is not the lack of caffeine but the acid in the coffee that is tough on the tummy. Coffee was my only vice before this thing started. Even on Aciphex, I could drink as much coffee as I wanted without any heartburn. I still have a few sips of coffee here and there when I go out to eat and my stomach is full with dinner. Then I feel I can cheat a little bit, but I would not dare have a cup of coffee on an empty stomach right now as I used to.

My throat definitely burns when I have heartburn. I take slippery elm lozenges that you can buy online. Singers use them and they are soothing to the throat. They are supposed to be natural and safe. I also take a tablespoon of honey when my throat burns and let it slowly slip down my throat. These are the little tricks I have tried to ease the discomfort and try to protect my tissues from damage by the acid.

Anyway, hang in there. I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. Please keep posting. Maybe all these posts will inspire and support future forum readers who are going through this same process in the future.

By my calculations, I am now at week eleventh off PPI's,

Rose

Closed Thread

Tags
    ppi (proton pump inhibitor)