It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Omeprazole or Prevacid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
    goldenage
    (female)

goldenage HB User
    Omeprazole or Prevacid?

I went to the ENT today. I've had a raspy singing voice, lump in throat feeling and trouble swallowing since January. He stuck a camera down my nose and throat and said it was most likely acid reflux (primary doctor said she didn't think I had AR so..). He said that I could take Omeprazole or Prevacid. Which one helps acid reflux more? I don't have any heartburn so I don't have to worry about that

Last edited by goldenage; 03-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: Omeprazole or Prevacid?

Both are very good, and both help the majority of people..... there are a few who find that one works for them, but the other doesnt.

Omeprazole is avaliable as a generic, hence cheaper, so it makes sense to start with that, and if you find that it isnt working, then give Prevacid a try.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
    resolution09
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Prevacid is now over the counter too. My best friend took Prevacid for 90 days back when it was prescription only and it did nothing for her. She then switched to Prilosec and was amazed at the difference. During the 90 days on Prevacid she'd started getting very depressed thinking nothing was going to work because her doctor has basically said "if prevacid doesn't work for you, nothing will". (Just another reason why you should not listen to everything your doctor tells you.) But since they are both OTC now, give them each a try and decide for yourself which is best.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
    resolution09
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

And, by the way, did it bother you to have the camera put down your throat?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
    squiggley
    (female)

squiggley HB User

I have been on omeprazole for a couple of years now, my consultant increased it to 40mg per day a few months back. I was feeling absolutely awful and went to the gp with what I thought was maybe stress or anxiety. Turned out that my blood sodium levels were low, she says as a side effect of the omeprazole. I've now been taken off that and given 300mg ranitidine instead.
    The ranitidine is doing absolutely no good - any recommendations on what might help? I'm in the UK - does Prevacid have another name?

thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
    goldenage
    (female)

goldenage HB User

Thanks for the replies! The camera didn't bother me that much. I could barely feel it. But I did swallow once when it was in my throat and that felt weird!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
    goldenage
    (female)

goldenage HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by squiggley View Post
    I have been on omeprazole for a couple of years now, my consultant increased it to 40mg per day a few months back. I was feeling absolutely awful and went to the gp with what I thought was maybe stress or anxiety. Turned out that my blood sodium levels were low, she says as a side effect of the omeprazole. I've now been taken off that and given 300mg ranitidine instead.
    The ranitidine is doing absolutely no good - any recommendations on what might help? I'm in the UK - does Prevacid have another name?

thanks
    When I went to my family doctor she told me that she didn't think I had acid reflux but to go ahead and see if ranitidine helped (it didn't). According to my ENT, ranitidine isn't very strong. Maybe that's why it isn't working.

I think I'm going to try Prilosec. I've been taking Prevacid for a few days and keep getting chest pains.

Another question. When my doctor scoped my throat he said my voice box and throat looked fine. Nothing wrong with it. Wouldn't it at least be red or swollen if I have LPR? I mean acid is getting into my throat and causing my throat to become raspy and have difficulty swallowing.

Last edited by goldenage; 03-16-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Closed Thread