It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• nighttime indigestion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
    debra1962
    (female)

debra1962 HB User
    nighttime indigestion

I have not been diagnosed with GERD but I seem to have all the symptoms. have tried not eating or drinking after 6 pm, tums, etc. but nothing works. Any good ideas what I could try. Most of the time it keeps me up all night. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: nighttime indigestion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by debra1962 View Post
    I have not been diagnosed with GERD but I seem to have all the symptoms. have tried not eating or drinking after 6 pm, tums, etc. but nothing works. Any good ideas what I could try. Most of the time it keeps me up all night. Thanks
    The interesting thing is that you only experience the symptoms at night. Do you have any other symptoms during the day? You may need to alter what you are eating rather than not eat. I get heartburn if I have an empty stomach for more than four or five hours. You are supposed to eat small meals rather than two large ones.

Try to avoid a lot of coffee, sodas and dairy products.

You might also try an over the counter acid reducer such as Zantac or Pepcid to see if it takes away or alleviates your symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rose

Last edited by rosebloom; 03-26-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Buy some Prilosec OTC or the generic omeprazole. Take one tablet every day.

Keep some Gaviscon next to your bed, and take some at the first sign of symptoms in the night

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
    debra1962
    (female)

debra1962 HB User

Thanks for the suggestion. I get heartburn once in awhile during the day, but at night when I go to bed and lie down is when it gets bad. I use tums, but it seems like I'm talking more and more of them. Probably not good.

thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
    The interesting thing is that you only experience the symptoms at night. Do you have any other symptoms during the day? You may need to alter what you are eating rather than not eat. I get heartburn if I have an empty stomach for more than four or five hours. You are supposed to eat small meals rather than two large ones.

Try to avoid a lot of coffee, sodas and dairy products.

You might also try an over the counter acid reducer such as Zantac or Pepcid to see if it takes away or alleviates your symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rose

Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
    starryGal09
    Inactive
    (female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Thru an endoscopy looking for a reason for anemia, it was found I have GERD. I had NO idea. Just occasional heartburn. Sometimes bad...but not to go to doctor.
    So, a little adjustment in what I eat and at night two big pillows/elevated bed.

I only seem to have issues when I eat some awfully delicious wonderfully full of fat pizza. Boy do I pay! I take homeopathic remedies for indigestion, heartburn, etc. Drink water until it cools down.

Good luck to you.

Closed Thread