It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Stopping & Starting PPI's and side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User
    Stopping & Starting PPI's and side effects

Without going into the "why", I was off Aciphex for 6 weeks the beginning of the year. Prior to that I was on it for about 8 years with no side effects except more than usual headaches. I went back on it Feb. 8 and about a month or so after I started getting abdominal spasms/twitches and the headaches were back.

Is it possible have side effects from a drug (after stopping for a while and going back on) when you were on it for 8 years with nothing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Stopping & Starting PPI's and side effects

I think it's possible to have side effects from any medication any time. Can you take a different PPI?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
    Ambra75
    (female)

Ambra75 HB User

Yes, you can get side effects from a medicine which didn't cause you any side effects in the past. I had problems with Protonix: severe stomach cramps. I had taken it in the past without problems.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

A person can experience side effects or develop side effects from any medication any time just like they can develop an allergy to a food they have eaten for years, but suddenly they can no longer eat peanuts or shrimp or eggs or milk. Not sure why it happens, but it does. Likewise, a medicine that has worked for years can suddenly stop working without apparent reason or anything you are doing differently. The human body is a mysterious machine.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #5
    crocheting
    (female)

crocheting HB User
    Post Re: Stopping & Starting PPI's and side effects

I hope you feel better soon! I took two different prescription mediences for several months, I didn't realize both mediences were making my Reflux and GERD much, much worse along with SEVERAL other horrible symptoms! I tooki myself off these mediences and start doing the Apple Cider Vinegar, baking soda to neutralize it in the stomach, and a teaspoon of honey! That say day after trying the Apple Cider Vineagar, All my symptoms went away I take it 3 to 4 times a day usually before eating. My health went back to normal.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
    Ambra75
    (female)

Ambra75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocheting View Post
    I hope you feel better soon! I took two different prescription mediences for several months, I didn't realize both mediences were making my Reflux and GERD much, much worse along with SEVERAL other horrible symptoms! I tooki myself off these mediences and start doing the Apple Cider Vinegar, baking soda to neutralize it in the stomach, and a teaspoon of honey! That say day after trying the Apple Cider Vineagar, All my symptoms went away I take it 3 to 4 times a day usually before eating. My health went back to normal.
    Hi, what side effects did you have?

Closed Thread