It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• side effects nexium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
    ladybuglove
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuglove HB User
    side effects nexium

Well after only one month on nexium, just can't do it. It causing severe cramping in my lower abdonminal and a lot of the runs I can go up to 20 times a day! So I am going to get off of PPI's and since I only have mild inflammation of the stomach, go ahead and continue to a herbal cocktail and diet to see what I can do there. I didn't realize nexium was going to be this difficult. Anyone have any additional suggestions to reduce mild inflammation of the stomach, just curious if anyone is using anything different that I may need to add to my cocktail?

Last edited by ladybuglove; 06-08-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: side effects nexium

I've been on all the PPI's on the market at double strength. I didn't have any side effects with them with the exception of Nexium. I only stayed on it for a week. I had major heartburn (with previous and post Nexium reflux symptoms of a cough and severe breathing problems, never heartburn), nausea, stomach cramping/spasms and diarrhea. I was going up to about 20 times per day. My GI doc said that it wasn't the Nexium, but it started the day I started the Nexium. When I went off the Nexium, most side effects got better. The diarrhea didn't though. Whatever the Nexium did to me, it triggered IBS which I still have 2 years later. Before Nexium, my family and friends always made fun of me for how regular I was. I'd stop the Nexium if the side effects are that bad. If you need them however, you might talk to your doc about trying other PPI's.

Have you tried Gaviscon? It helps some. Don't take too many too often though because diarrhea can be a side effect of high dosages of the Gaviscon.

Last edited by MountainReader; 06-08-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Some natural cures include using baking soda (instructions on box) or a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with meals (you can dilute in water).

Also consider a food diary or an elimination diet to see if certain foods are affecting you. With me, I recently found out that I am allergic to dairy products. It was giving me horrible heartburn- and I was drinking milk to help the heartburn! Go figure. Anyway, I stopped eating dairy products and my acid reflux is nearly gone.

Good choice on choosing not to use a PPI. I am trying to get off of Prevacid, after 9 years, and frankly I think I've done some pretty serious damage by using it for so long.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
    All4Atkins
    (female)

All4Atkins HB User

Have any of you tried a low carb diet?
    I battled GERD, heartburn, gas, etc. for years. I went on Atkins Diet to lose some weight. After about 2-3 weeks I noticed that all my GERD symptoms disappeared. Now, if I eat a cookie, it all flairs back up. But this diet has worked wonders for me.

Closed Thread