It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Is this acid reflux?so worried

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
    davysmom
    (female)

davysmom HB User
    Is this acid reflux?so worried

Okay, sorry this is long.I have been in and out of ER and doctors office with these problems for the last 2 yrs.I had heartburn awful palps pain in arm etc.Was told I had acid reflux .I have left jobs and husband told be to stay home because I would have attacks so bad.Went to a new dr.2 yrs ago just to be on safe side she recoomended me a cautherization to look at my heart and they said it looked perfectly normal no blockages etc.She put me on nerve pill,depression pill,acid reflux pill .and a pill for palpatations which she said asnt the dangerous kind. Well felt great went back to work ater 2 yrs of this mess had a person there who gave me a hard time and i quit.Came hate supper and heartburn started along wth palps high anxiety feeng in middle of chest,left arm hurting anxiety happens so quick its like my breath taken away for second.Especially when i eat it just sits i belch and feel sick esp bad taste and lava.I'm afraid with anxiety feeling in center of chest I'm having a heart attack.Went to dr today she said if youve been feeling this way for a couple days but it goes away till you eat and you do normal stuff its acid reflux.She said i know you had the cauthezation 2 yrs ago but with all those test your heart is healthy and your not having a heartattack.Can somone tell me you've went through all this.Is dr right saying even if its been 2 yrs your test said your fine and you are.Thanks for lstening Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Is this acid reflux?so worried

Sounds from your post that you are experiencing a great deal of anxiety.

I would suggest keeping a diary for a few days to see when your symptoms appear and if they are triggered by certain stressors, foods you eat, etc.

Your doctor does not think you are experiencing a heart attack based on old tests and I am sure he/she also listens to your heart when you go in to see him/her.

Anxiety can mimic many different symptoms. Try to modify your diet some, take up gardening or a soothing activity that helps get your mind off daily stressors. Sometimes the simplest changes help.

I started to plant a small garden this spring. I only have eight or nine potted plants outside and my roses. I water, feed and prune them every night when I come home. It only takes me ten to twenty minutes, but that is therapy for me. It helps me decompress from my day at work and eases me into my nighttime routine. I try to eat early, chew slowly and do relaxing things when I am home in the evening.

I don't have small children anymore and know not everyone can do this, but try to find something that is soothing and relaxing to you that will make you happy.

Keep that diary. You'll be surprised how much you learn about your behaviors and diet habits when you put it down on paper.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rose

Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
    Jayda222
    (female)

Jayda222 HB User

Could you tell me more of your symptoms, what does your attacks feel like? I am suffering awful

Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
    davysmom
    (female)

davysmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jayda222 View Post
    Could you tell me more of your symptoms, what does your attacks feel like? I am suffering awful
    I have pain in left arm,heaviness in chest especially soon as i eat.The pain from chest moves to the mid back and i belch alot.Sometimes i'll have burning in chest or even back.When it is severe i'll have burning acid like stuff come back up in throat as if I can't make any food go down.Laying on left side is awful can't do it because i get sore in my chest for some reason so I sleep on right side.I'll have real quick flutters especially after I eat.Anne

Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
    davysmom
    (female)

davysmom HB User

Thank you for your great advice .I will try this it makes a lot of sense.Anne

Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
    thegoodlife07
    (female)

thegoodlife07 HB User

Hello. I have been suffering the same illness for 2 months now. Heaviness in the chest, back that radiates in the arms. Really painful. Really really painful. Doctor said this is because of the acid reflux. Did you find any cure for this? thank you for your hel

Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
    albie1
    (male)

albie1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davysmom View Post
    Okay, sorry this is long.I have been in and out of ER and doctors office with these problems for the last 2 yrs.I had heartburn awful palps pain in arm etc.Was told I had acid reflux .I have left jobs and husband told be to stay home because I would have attacks so bad.Went to a new dr.2 yrs ago just to be on safe side she recoomended me a cautherization to look at my heart and they said it looked perfectly normal no blockages etc.She put me on nerve pill,depression pill,acid reflux pill .and a pill for palpatations which she said asnt the dangerous kind. Well felt great went back to work ater 2 yrs of this mess had a person there who gave me a hard time and i quit.Came hate supper and heartburn started along wth palps high anxiety feeng in middle of chest,left arm hurting anxiety happens so quick its like my breath taken away for second.Especially when i eat it just sits i belch and feel sick esp bad taste and lava.I'm afraid with anxiety feeling in center of chest I'm having a heart attack.Went to dr today she said if youve been feeling this way for a couple days but it goes away till you eat and you do normal stuff its acid reflux.She said i know you had the cauthezation 2 yrs ago but with all those test your heart is healthy and your not having a heartattack.Can somone tell me you've went through all this.Is dr right saying even if its been 2 yrs your test said your fine and you are.Thanks for lstening Anne
    Anne:Hi Anne,

While I hate to hear how bad it has been for you it is good to know that thier are others with the same thing i am going thru. I have been told it was my gallbladder to acid reflux. I have become a mess. I too thought that I was having heart attacks. I have been to the ER 7 times. And to the Cardiologist twice. He also recommended that I have a catherization as well. He said that all was great. But i am still having these attacks. I feel so alone sometimes. Others just don't understand how I feel. It has been a three year battle for me. And I now see were some have had this issue for years. Scary. I am now willing to try anything. I am so freaked out that I have another appontment with my cardiologist. Any words of advise would be great.

Thanks

Albert

Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
    albie1
    (male)

albie1 HB User

Just wanted to know if you got any answers.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
    davysmom
    (female)

davysmom HB User

I am so sorry you are going through this too!I was back in ER with same symptoms started New Yrs Eve nite didn't give in to it till yesterday.In stomach ,chest center and to the left,pain down left arm nothing seemed to help now new symptom awful coughing spells at night.I'm married and husband is not very happy that I sit up in recliner at nights but like I told him I'm not even that comfortable then.I have started though with eating a few bites and sorry for detail but foam comes up like crazy and I haven't been able to eat much still scared.Well they gave me that look like here we go again.Took ekg fine all the heart related blood testsand said normal.You have severe acid reflux.The got me a number for a gastrologist cant spell but appt is in 2 mths so how does that help me?I started on 2 new things today a friend told me 1 teas vinigar followed by water two times aday and that is good acid that will go against the bad but it will take a couple days to show a difference.My Dr. tpld me to buy Gaviscon and said it is the best you can get for reflux because it stops the acid from coming up.I went to cvs and bought the off brand for around 9 dollars and they said off brand is same thing.It's 8:47 pm here and i feel little better.Soon as i ate me a cracker i could feel a fullness in chest so I give up.I'm gonna give it time and pray real hard that this stuff will go away because i really don't want that camera thingy down my throat.Well I hope I helped you some maybe this will work for us because I'm so sick of going through this everyday thinking I'm one step closer to dying.I have a family to take care of not the other way around.I'll pray for you and let me know whats going on.Take care Anne

Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
    albie1
    (male)

albie1 HB User

Thank you for your response. Gavisgone actaully does help me. My DR also told me to drink Diet DP so that I can burp it out (sorry) but it seems to help. The fullness in my stomach goes away and I feel ok. I'll pray that it all goes good with you. i know my wife is getting tired of my whining. I also feel that I am going to die at anytime. As a former Marine it really kills me to be such a baby but the panic sets in pretty quick. If its ok with you I would like to touch base with you once in a while. I am not getting much sleep now a days. Thanks and God bless.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
    davysmom
    (female)

davysmom HB User

Sure ,I'd love that and anything I can find out that works for me I will pass it on.I know what you mean I know my husband loves me to death but everytime this happens he gets frustrated and says you know what it is we've been through this a thousand times and you are not dying.Then he says do you want to go to ER again and that kinda upsets me because I would never want him to go through this ever,but I wish he would understand better what I'm going through.Its like living in a prison and feeling like you will never get out and people look at you and say its just acid reflux.As for burping that seems like a great idea but sometimes I get palpatations with these spells and I don't want to stir it up more ha ha so maybe i''ll look for the caffeine free.You take care and keep in touch Anne

Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User

To both Albie and davysmom, I share your fears and pain. I have panic disorder and I see a lot of people with GERD seem to have issues with anxiety. The irony is the more fearful we get about our GERD pain begin a heart attack or something seriously wrong with us, the more acid we produce, so it's a never ending cycle of pain. I use Gaviscon at bedtime too, and I sleep on my left side on elevated pillows, the bed is elevated, I drink one tablespoon of organic Apple Cider vinegar daily with my main meal, and I also drink fresh ginger tea which seems to help soothe my stomach. What I've learned is everyone needs to find their own ways to deal with this, in terms of what you take. What works for some doesn't work for all, unfortunately. So keep trying alternative things and try to reduce stress, maybe by exercising or doing things to occupy your mind and take it off of those bad thoughts that get us worried, scared, and make the acid reflux flare up even more. Keep a food diary so that you know what foods make your reflux worse, and then eliminate them from your diet. I think we who have to live with this disease have to adjust our lives accordingly. I am sorry that your spouses are frustrated, but I do understand that it must be hard for them. I wish you both the very best, and I hope you find this message board a good source of support for you. I find reading it calms me when I realize I am not the only one suffering with similar symptoms. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #13
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User

Quote:
    Sure ,I'd love that and anything I can find out that works for me I will pass it on.I know what you mean I know my husband loves me to death but everytime this happens he gets frustrated and says you know what it is we've been through this a thousand times and you are not dying.Then he says do you want to go to ER again and that kinda upsets me because I would never want him to go through this ever,but I wish he would understand better what I'm going through.Its like living in a prison and feeling like you will never get out and people look at you and say its just acid reflux.As for burping that seems like a great idea but sometimes I get palpatations with these spells and I don't want to stir it up more ha ha so maybe i''ll look for the caffeine free.You take care and keep in touch Anne
    I forgot to mention in my other post that I suffer from palpitations as well and I was told that caffeine causes them and I have read many people with acid reflux experience them as well. I am not sure of the connection with acid reflux, maybe it's because we get anxious, I don't really know and I haven't read up on it enough but I just thought I would tell you that. I do know that caffeine also causes reflux, so perhaps there is a connection there. I still drink coffee once daily, but perhaps it is time to consider going caffeine free.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
    albie1
    (male)

albie1 HB User

Thanks for your words. It sure does help to hear others and the support is great. I will start to keep a log. The unknown is a huge fear. I am trying new things and some do help. The Gavisgone has been great for me. I have tried others but this one works great. I do have to say that hearing from you guys has been just great. To have others who know what you are going thru just seems to calm me down. Thanks

Albert

Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
    albie1
    (male)

albie1 HB User

Quote:

Closed Thread