It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Options to treat Acid Reflux. ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
    achillez16
    (male)

achillez16 HB User
    Unhappy Options to treat Acid Reflux. ?

Hi all,

I have been suffering from Acid Reflux for more than 8 years now. My biggest problem is that i have side effects to all the medications i take for this, which include allergy (rash), diarrhea. Hence i cannot continue any medication for long enough to let it treat me. I personally think that PPI's can help my situation , but when i take omeprazole (20mg) i feel severe nausea, whatever i eat after taking the tablet does not digest, and i also get allergic rash along with this.
    So are there any other PPI , chemically different than omeprazole to treat GERD ? .. so that i wouldnt have the nausea and allergy ? . .wats the best time to take the medication ? . .. are ther any other things i can try ? . .

Thanks for your help . ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
    PAYNE
    (female)

PAYNE HB User
    Re: Options to treat Acid Reflux. ?

I can't say that's it is different from the other medications, but I was prescribed sucralfate along with Prilosec and zantac. My mother told me how much it was helping her, and she has a really bad hiatal hernia--so bad they would operate on her, but they said it was too close to her heart. It evidently coats the stomach.....

I assume you already know the other usual non-medicinal things, like propping up the head of your bed, watching what you eat, not eating for about two hours before going to bed, etc. Best wishes.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
    Bumpkinto
    (female)

Bumpkinto HB User

I would suggest finding an allergist who can order a drug test for you. This drug test is to desensitize you to the meds. What they do is take an acid reducer medicine that can be made into a solution by a compound pharmacist. This solution is then administered only by a medical professional. It is give by small drops on the tongue.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-12-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
    lyndseylou80
    (female)

lyndseylou80 HB User

Medications only work for awhile anyway. Eventually your body adjusts and you'll start having acid reflux even with the meds. There are really only 2 options. 1, you can make sure you are at a healthy weight, exercise and keep your meals small with high protein, high fiber, low fat and low acid; or 2. see if you are a candidate for the nissen. I had it done recently and I've been happy with the results.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
    Cindy89
    (female)

Cindy89 HB User

Try Magnesium Supplement and watch your diet. its helping me

Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
    bindymacka
    (female)

bindymacka HB User

Hi. Try a teaspoon of bicarb soda in a glass of water. It works instantly for me. Cheers

Old 09-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

When I first tried Prilosec, it didn't agree with me. I've tried most of the other heartburn drugs and they all gave me diarrhea, so I had a Nissen Fundoplication which only gave me relief for 2 months and since then have been back on meds. I'm able to tolerate Prilosec OTC now. I get the generic pills from Costco at a decent price. I've tried magnesium, but it never made any difference for me. Have you tried Pepcid AC? I was able to take that for a long time without a problem. Hope you find some relief.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
    Bumpkinto
    (female)

Bumpkinto HB User

I have been on PPI's off and on all year. My tongue would start burning so I would back off until it was a dull feeling. I stopped the PPI's about a week ago. Then I started taking an H2 blocker. At first it would last me about 4 hrs. Now it can only carry me 2 hrs and I wake up with serious acid splashing my throat. I do not know if an H2 blocker stronger than Zantac 75mg would help. I need something that is affective around the clock. The PPI's burn my tongue and mouth much more the H2 blockers, although, that probably has to do with the lose dose I am taking on the H2.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
    Bumpkinto
    (female)

Bumpkinto HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angellv View Post
    Hi!
    I can help you. very quickly,
    if interested please contact me.
    Please, can't you just reply to this thread?

Closed Thread