It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• My Endoscopy Experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
    cookiedough321
    (female)

cookiedough321 HB User
    My Endoscopy Experience

Hi to all who are about to have an endoscopy and have concerns. I read many accounts this board, most of them positive and a few negative, yet I was still scared to death of this procedure! I don't know if reading my account will make you feel better, but I felt like I should post my experience regardless.

So I was having stomach problems and I went and saw a gastrologist. I told him my symptoms - he thought I might have an ulcer so he said to get an EGD done. I was not happy when I heard this! I hate going to the doctors, and I am scared of any medical procedure. (I am a teenage girl by the way.) So I did not want to get this procedure done, I so wanted to cancel it but my parents made me keep it. Oh well. So yes, I cried out of fear for this procedure. And yes the waiting was much worse than the procedure was!

Waiting waiting waiting....
    My dad and I arrived at the hospital at 8. I did not get wheeled into the procedure room until 9:40. I was hungry, I was thirsty, and I didn't sleep the night before so I was certainly cranky.

In the room I was on the verge of tears, I didn't actually cry but any thought of that big tube being shoved down my throat caused me to feel quite scared. So more waiting there. Changed into the gown, I did get to keep my pants on at least. The nurse set up my IV, felt like any other IV. I felt it go in despite her saying she would put something to numb it, but oh well. Several nurses asked me questions, I was asked my birth date and my name many times. I don't know if this is a way to check if the patient is responsive or if they really needed to double check.

I found out that the throat spray is banana flavored from my research online, so I ask the nurse if they have anything else. Banana flavor, real or artificial has always made me want to vomit. So she said they did have another spray that has no flavoring and said she would look for it.

So finally, I have no idea what time it was, it must have been more than half an hour, I get wheeled into the procedure room. A little more waiting in there, I see the doctor come in and the nurse tells me to lay on my left side, by this time, I think they had started the versed because I was feeling weird. She puts a pillow behind me to support my back. That is the last thing I remember!

I don't know how long after the procedure is already done, I'm in some other room and the nurse is standing by my side. She hands me a cup of cold water with a straw and I drink it greedily. She then tells me I can get dressed. I'm disoriented but I managed to get dressed without falling over or anything. I feel a little dizzy. She helps me into a wheelchair. My dad tells me that I apparently spoke with the doctor - I do not remember this at all! I remember being pushed into a wheelchair heading to the car. The nurse tells me to keep looking forward while she pushes me. We reach the car and my dad helps me as I climb into the car. I got into the car without much difficultly, I actually had more control over my body than I expected.

The car ride home was not as tame however. The hospital is thirty minutes from my house. I kept my eyes closed and pressed my hand on my forehead.
    My dad tells me he was driving slowly, but it did not feel that way for me.
    Finally we get home, my dad holds me as I climb up the stairs to my room. He helps me get off my shoes and jacket, and I flop on my bed with the rest of my clothes on. I wake up about two hours later, still feeling sick but I wasn't dizzy anymore. I got up, went to the bathroom, drank some water and went back to sleep again. I wake up for the second time and I'm feeling a lot better. I have a headache and I feel like eating bland food. I ate some soup.

So to wrap up my experience, I did not have any sickness or pain from the procedure itself! They found inflammation in my stomach and took a biopsy of it, I have no pain from that. My throat felt a little raspy in one spot, but after eating and drinking I don't feel it. I don't even know if they gave me the throat spray! I also can swallow perfectly fine, even when the nurse woke me up after the procedure I was able to drink the water she gave me without a problem. I did have some gas since they blow air into your stomach for a better look.

The bad: I got hangover like symptoms from the versed. Headache and nausea. I haven't eaten much. Today is the day I had the procedure, I'm sure I will be fine by tomorrow. I was also given fentanyl, but I think it was the versed that made me feel sick.

The procedure is not a painful one, it is uncomfortable and might make you feel a little sick. No pain. I would say the waiting before the procedure and the versed making ME feel sick was the worst part. Now I say ME because my dad did not feel sick from the medication, he has had 3 EGDs, my mom had one and she said she felt sick. I suppose it is because my mom and I are petite women and my dad is a larger male.

Hopefully this might make you feel better if you were scared like me, I know no one can eradicate your fears completely - you will just have to go through the procedure. But please if you need it done, don't delay it, it's not a hard procedure at all. By the way, I never saw the camera tube and I'd say that is a very good thing.

Edit: I forgot to mention I tried eating lentil soup which had onions, my dad is saying I shouldn't have eaten onions. I had a little hiccup episode. So don't eat anything that would irritate your stomach.

Last edited by cookiedough321; 09-16-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
    rachelle847
    (female)

rachelle847 HB User
    Re: My Endoscopy Experience

thank you for posting your thread, i am 49 and terrified terrified terrified of having the endo done. i dont want the spray in my throat im afraid if i cant feel my self swallow i will have a panic attack, i am very high anxiety. im scared of the sedation part also.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
    cookiedough321
    (female)

cookiedough321 HB User

You're very welcome! I'm glad that this post at least helped one person.

Don't delay out of fear, I was very scared also, but I bit the bullet. Just make sure you have a loved one to support you and to assure you everything will be ok. That helped me out a lot.

The waiting part is the worst, you just keep thinking about it until the procedure - that is something you will just have to get through. But I can tell you won't remember the procedure at all! I will say though, that you probably will not feel normal for the rest of the day, but the next day you will be back to normal . It's just the effect of the drugs. And if you feel bad, feel free to ask me any questions, and even let yourself let your anxiety out, crying is perfectly fine, or talking it out with someone.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
    hax0r
    (female)

hax0r HB User

Oh man.. i have the worst endoscopy story ever..
    When i was 18 i finally got in to see a specailist about my acid reflux and all that good stuff.. they got me in for the endoscopy so i get there and im talking to the surgeon (Dr. H arrington, best surgeon ever by the way.) and he explains whats gonna go on. I will lay on a table on my left side and bite down on a plastic circle thing then they will gently put a camera down my throat to check things out, i wont feel a thing for the most part, because of the freezing they will give me. so i'm alright with this.. bring it on right?

I get into the little room and he has a student in there with him, shes doing the test and hes watching over her shoulder.
    so she freezes the back of my throat with that freezing spray disgusting and she totally missed the back of my throat, my tongue and top of mouth were frozen thats about all.. so then they started the test and she started pushing the camera down my throat.

At that moment, any pain I thought I had experienced in the past, was nothing.

It was the worst feeling ever, the metal was cold and dry and it stuck to the back of my throat as she pushed it in, i felt it dragging and getting stuck. i was crying and screaming it hurt so bad.. a nurse had to hold me down. I dont just scream and cry for no reason.. i was trying to be calm and relaxed about it, but theres only so much a person can take.
    finally she got it into my stomach and everytime she turned the camera, my insides felt like they were ripping.. then came the gagging and the dry heaving, which is normal.
    Worst experience i've ever had, felt like it lasted 15 minutes. in reality it was only like 7.

My second run at the endoscopy was about two and a half years later, after i had nissen fundoplication surgery, my symptoms had come back so i had to do it all over again.
    as soon as i was in the waiting room i instructed the nurses to dope me up with whatever they had to the highest degree possible, they just sorta laughed at me.
    but then when i got into the surgery room area, i told the same thing to the surgeon guy, and he did his job wonderfully..
    they froze the back of my throat (which actually hit the back of my throat) and then they slipped something in my I.V. i remember laying there biting on the plastic piece, and then waking up in the recovery area.
    there was hardly no pain after this time, my throat felt a bit hoarse but once the freezing wore off, i was fine.

If i ever have to do it again, I'll be expecting results like my second run which doesnt scare me at all lol.
    Never let an intern do this procedure on you.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
    cookiedough321
    (female)

cookiedough321 HB User

Wow! That's horrible! Yes you should always make sure your doctor is the one doing the procedure, not someone else. Especially not someone new, for anything medical actually! Sure you're helping that intern out but it's ok to be selfish especially for something like that.

I'm glad your second went much more smoothly. But with your first you didn't have sedation just the throat spray? I would highly recommend sedation even though it did make me sick - it just makes things easier for you and the doctor as well.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
    hax0r
    (female)

hax0r HB User

Yeah, like I said, iw as 18 when I had the first one done, I had no idea what was really going on. My mom couldn't come in the room with me, so I just went with it. lol..
    I guess sometimes you gotta learn the hard way eh?

Such a difference with the sedation though, ohh my god!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
    cookiedough321
    (female)

cookiedough321 HB User

yea it really makes a difference. definitely!

did you feel sick after the sedation by the way?
    i'm just wondering if it was just me.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
    hax0r
    (female)

hax0r HB User

I didn't really feel sick, but i didnt feel good.. i was really out of it. after I went home, I think i slept for acouple hours. and i couldn't eat until all the freezing in my throat was gone

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
    more
    (female)

more HB User

I recently had my second endo and I would have no problem having more. I did not experience any of the sickness or discomfort. For my first one I remember waking up in the procedure room and talking to the doctor. For my second I do not remember waking up in the room but do remember talking to the doctor after the procedure. After both of my procedures (both were with versed) I had someone pick me up and drive me to my car. In both cases I drove myself home. I know you are not supposed to but I am stubborn and hate to depend on other people to go out of their way. I would not recommend this to anyone else but I know how I react after coming out of anesthesia.

Closed Thread