It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• A last point of view for the time being: LPR being recently revised as red herring

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #106
    BrienE
    (male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User
    Re: A last point of view for the time being: LPR being recently revised as red herri

Heya Jude, yes that is gluten as in wheat. I have tried it for long periods but probably not 100 % as long as that two to three weeks. It is a fuzzy place for me and millions maybe, of others, whereby we are not serious celiac patients who take a nibble of something and then are down for days.

But I suppose the theoryu is the less gi backup the happier and calmer the system and even in the upper areas, so yes, making sure I'm not eating wheat and TRYING to not eat sugar. This was suggested on the basis of the dry coated tongue being a yeast thing. Not so sure about that, but I'm trying there too....

Ok, so... I'll not eat wheat and you keep lifting your head 30 times off the floor three times a day over the next three weeks and we'll report back, deal? (ha ha)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #107
    eew
    (female)

eew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB User
    Re: A last point of view for the time being: LPR being recently revised as red herri

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
    EEW,

How much D3 drops should I take? This thread is so long. I know it was probably mentioned before.

I know you suggested 2,000 of D. What should I start at and for how long?

How long do you think it will take to notice if it is working?
    Hi Kevin: I hesitate to tell you what to take. But I will tell you what I did. I read alot. Hundreds of articles. I had my Vit D level checked first before I took it. If you take too much of it it can be harmful. That being said, my Vit D score came back at 25. I thought about it a little and realized that the 4 months before I took the test was the first time I was in the sun in forty years. We had just built a pool and the grandchildren came over often and I got a tan for the first time. So I suspected that when I developed LPR in July 2009 I had been much lower and had remained that way until April 2011 when I was with the grandchildren in the pool. So I read more. What type of D is good to take. It came back Vit D 3 drops. I then read about a formula in an article that indicated that Vitd D levels are set too low. They should be higher but I always wanted to be careful I didn't overdose. The formula was 35 IU x your body weight. I then calculated what I got in my food every day (about 1,000 as I have a eat alot of fish, non-fat milk and yogurt). I took that off the formula. I ended up taking 6,000 IU units for 3 months and retested my Vit D levels. It came back 44. (Best to get over 50) So I cut back to 4,000 IU units which I remain on for the last 3 months. I'm aiming for a score of between 60-80. I will retest in Feb 2012.
    Do you have health insurance to get a Vit D test? If so request it. You don't have to go in for an appt. Just ask to have it waiting for you at the lab. If you don't have insurance you can go to the Vitamin D Council web site and they have reasonable cost lab test for Vit D. Read as much as you can. Really understand what you take before you take it. We all will be interested in hearing your Vid D levels when you start and what your plan is for yourself. Don't forget to ask you Dr too. My Dr put me on 2,000 IU a day for life but from all that I read it was not enough, especially since I avoided the sun for 40 years. From what I read if your Vit D is under a score of 50 your are not storing it. Your using it up each day. Let us know how you are.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #108
    kevinla
    Veteran
    (male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eew View Post
    Hi Kevin: I hesitate to tell you what to take. But I will tell you what I did. I read alot. Hundreds of articles. I had my Vit D level checked first before I took it. If you take too much of it it can be harmful. That being said, my Vit D score came back at 25. I thought about it a little and realized that the 4 months before I took the test was the first time I was in the sun in forty years. We had just built a pool and the grandchildren came over often and I got a tan for the first time. So I suspected that when I developed LPR in July 2009 I had been much lower and had remained that way until April 2011 when I was with the grandchildren in the pool. So I read more. What type of D is good to take. It came back Vit D 3 drops. I then read about a formula in an article that indicated that Vitd D levels are set too low. They should be higher but I always wanted to be careful I didn't overdose. The formula was 35 IU x your body weight. I then calculated what I got in my food every day (about 1,000 as I have a eat alot of fish, non-fat milk and yogurt). I took that off the formula. I ended up taking 6,000 IU units for 3 months and retested my Vit D levels. It came back 44. (Best to get over 50) So I cut back to 4,000 IU units which I remain on for the last 3 months. I'm aiming for a score of between 60-80. I will retest in Feb 2012.
    Do you have health insurance to get a Vit D test? If so request it. You don't have to go in for an appt. Just ask to have it waiting for you at the lab. If you don't have insurance you can go to the Vitamin D Council web site and they have reasonable cost lab test for Vit D. Read as much as you can. Really understand what you take before you take it. We all will be interested in hearing your Vid D levels when you start and what your plan is for yourself. Don't forget to ask you Dr too. My Dr put me on 2,000 IU a day for life but from all that I read it was not enough, especially since I avoided the sun for 40 years. From what I read if your Vit D is under a score of 50 your are not storing it. Your using it up each day. Let us know how you are.
    A while ago, I did have my Vit. D level test. I do not recall what it was, but I do recall it being in the normal range.

Do you think it is worth a shot? What amount of D is dangerous to take?

First you say D 3 is best, then give recommended for D.

Which do I take?

Last edited by kevinla; 01-03-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #109
    eew
    (female)

Quote:
    EEW,

How much D3 drops should I take? This thread is so long. I know it was probably mentioned before.

....oops I forgot to answer your last question, withing two days I felt the severity of my LPR start to get better. I continue to improve little bit every month. My diet is pretty close to normal now. Its so wonderful. I still avoid onions, garlic, tomatoe sauce. I had 1/2 a hamberger samwhich yesterday and had just a tiny tiny feeling of LPR. No pain. Vit d in my opinion improves the LES/UES muscles of the esophogus. Why no Dr ever thought of testing me for Vit D deficiency is pretty incredible. I know Drs have more schooling than me but how is it that I found something so simple as Vit D and they couldn't advise me or at least test me. It is one of the most fundamental needs of good health. Its a crying shame so many people suffer from such a easy thing to treat. I'm so grateful I didn't listen to them this summer when they gave up on me and said there was no more they could for me. They told me I had to live with horrific pain of the throat for the rest of my life. I wrote my Drs tonight, all of them and told them to please please start giving patients Vid D tests at physcials and when they come in with illnesses. It is so unaccetable for people to suffer unncessarily.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #110
    eew
    (female)

Quote:
    EEW,

....oops I forgot to answer your last question, withing two days I felt the severity of my LPR start to get better. I continue to improve little bit every month. My diet is pretty close to normal now. Its so wonderful. I still avoid onions, garlic, tomatoe sauce. I had 1/2 a hamberger samwhich yesterday and had just a tiny tiny feeling of LPR. No pain. Vit d in my opinion improves the LES/UES muscles of the esophogus. Why no Dr ever thought of testing me for Vit D deficiency is pretty incredible. I know Drs have more schooling than me but how is it that I found something so simple as Vit D and they couldn't advise me or at least test me. It is one of the most fundamental needs of good health. Its a crying shame so many people suffer from such a easy thing to treat. I'm so grateful I didn't listen to them this summer when they gave up on me and said there was no more they could for me. They told me I had to live with horrific pain of the throat for the rest of my life. I wrote my Drs tonight, all of them and told them to please please start giving patients Vid D tests at physcials and when they come in with illnesses. It is so unacceptable for people to suffer unncessarily. Hopefully our blogs will stay on here to help other people in the future who develop LPR and other illnesses.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #111
    kevinla
    Veteran
    (male)

oh..do i swallow the or take it under my tongue.

with food?

Last edited by kevinla; 01-03-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #112
    eew
    (female)

I just put in on the top of my tongue. I do it in front of a mirror as I don't want to take more than the drops I should. Please don't take it unless you take a lab test first.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #113
    kevinla
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eew View Post
    I just put in on the top of my tongue. I do it in front of a mirror as I don't want to take more than the drops I should. Please don't take it unless you take a lab test first.
    ok. promise.

What level would you say is it ok to take?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #114
    eew
    (female)

Kevin: retest. You don't want to take Vid D3 unless you need it. You will often hear Vid D. There are different types of Vit D. Theres a Vit D2 and a Vit D3. The Vit D3 drops is what you should take if you need it. But retest your Vit D level. The test is called Vit D test. Your Dr will know what to order. And remember, we are theorizing here. There could be other reasons for LPR. So do check with your Dr.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #115
    eew
    (female)

Quote:
    ok. promise.

What level would you say is it ok to take?
    I'm on 4,000 IU right now. The literature out there shows there is a difference of opinion as to what is safe. My Dr advised 2,000 IU a day for life. I felt it was not enough. I took 6,000 IU for 3 months as I had avoided the sun for 40 years and retested 3 months later and got a score of 44. I dropped my Vit D3 level down to 4,000 IU and remain on that until I see my scores in Feb 2012. If I get to a score of 60-70 I will drop it down to 2,000 IU as my Dr suggested. It is a very personal decision and one you must base on your Dr advise and your own reading.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #116
    JudeNZ
    (female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Morning folks,

A couple of thoughts - eew i was thinking as this thread has got so long, maybe you could start a new one with a subject of Vit D and ??? and refer people to this one if they want more background.

I've been doign some more Vit D reading and I suggest you do a searche for 'Dr Briffa and my Vit D results are in' also makes for interesting reading.

I've just left a message for my Dr to call me re organising a Vit D test. She is lovely and pro natural remedies when appropriate.

I take statins and I see Vit D can at times lower cholesterol without having to take statins which is quite exciting. My Dr is pro helping me try and come off statins I know.

Jude

Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #117
    BrienE
    (male)

Sounds good Jude, I'll bite with the new thread.... look for it everyone. Sounds great w the cholesterol strategy too... I have been taking niacin in lieu of Zocor... So D could help too? That's great.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #118
    BrienE
    (male)

It might be time to close this thread, and although there's no law that says it can't wander and become about things completely unrelated to the beginning title (well, within the context I guess of a general subject but even there...)

To anyone reading interested in optimistic alternative self-care for GERD and LPR, this thread is full of that, and specifically to the Vitamin D there is a lot to dig through... we started a new thread, "LPR and Vit D (and other things)" on the healthboards.

Most of all I would like to say to Seeking Sunrise... Dude... sorry this really spun off into all sorts of places... member Seeking Sunrise started it with the title and an account of treating vagal neuropathy being otherwise presented as LPR and succeeding very well. PLEASE read the beginning and few pages in for that. It's a very promising angle that might work for many folks. Just wanted to write a little epilogue.... ciao

The Following User Says Thank You to BrienE For This Useful Post:
    JudeNZ (01-04-2012)
    Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #119
    eew
    (female)

Good idea Jude and thank you Brien for doing it for me. I will go read it.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #120
    eew
    (female)

We created a new thread: 'Vitamin D and LPR (plus other things)' on 1-18-2012 if anyone wants to follow our conversation on Vit D.

Closed Thread