It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Yikes! Elevated creatinine - Prevacid, PPIs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
    catiebee
    (female)

catiebee HB User
    Yikes! Elevated creatinine - Prevacid, PPIs

Hi, I'm Catie...new to the boards.

I'm a longtime GERD sufferer. For a decade or more 30 mg of Prevacid a day kept symptoms mostly at bay. This fall I had to move up to 60 mg a day, and even that isn't working well.

What scares me is a routine blood test showed I have elevated creatinine. With my only real change being an increased Prevacid dosage, I started researching. I've learned that ALL the PPIs list elevated creatinine among the possible side effects, and more than that that there have been many documented cases of a certain kidney ailment and kidney failure directly attributed to PPI use. This is scary because I haven't found anything else I can take that works besides Prevacid and Aciphex.

Has anyone else wound up with kidney trouble from their PPI?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Yikes! Elevated creatinine - Prevacid, PPIs

Well, the first thing is additional testing, to see if the elevated creatine levels are a fluke or an early sign of kidney problems. It is true, any medication metabolized through the kidneys can eventually damage them, although with most medicines it's pretty rare.

Have you been scheduled for additional tests? Have you ever tried anti-nausea meds, or motility agents such as Reglan? Those have problems of their own, but they can treat reflux.

Until you get some answers, it might also help your kidneys if you avoid large portions of meat.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
    catiebee
    (female)

catiebee HB User

Thanks for your reply, Jane. I am scheduled to have another blood test in a couple weeks. Certainly will learn more then. Yes, I'm aware that I probably should go light on protein foods.

I haven't been on Reglan, but it would seem to be a bad idea since it helps move food out of the stomach faster, and my worst problems occur when my stomach empties.

Will see gastroenterologist Sunday. If it is the PPI raising my creatinine, it's a heck of a double bind because if I back off any Prevacid doses, the pain accelerates...like last night and today.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've been on high dose PPI's for many years. My Creatinine is coming back normal.

Prevacid Solutabs at 60mg per day were my PPI of choice for a long time. I switched to Dexilant about 1 1/2 years ago.

It is good you have a GI doc monitoring you.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
    catiebee
    (female)

catiebee HB User

Thanks a lot, MountainReader. That's encouraging because I found that blood report scary!

Do you believe switching PPIs helped normalize your creatinine? I'm also wondering whether you were under the care of a nephrologist.

I haven't seen a GI doc in years, so this guy is new to me.

Last edited by catiebee; 12-31-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I switched from Prevacid to Dexilant because it was cheaper (with manufacturer coupon) and I only had to take it once a day since it is dual delay time release vs. trying to time the twice per day dosages. They have the same active ingredient.

I haven't seen a nephrologist. When I said my work came back normal, it has been normal each of the several times it has been included in my labs. I see my GI doc a couple times a year. I also see my Pulmonologist regularly since my acid reflux affects my lungs. I see my primary care doc frequently. I also have regular visits with my ENT for the LPR and allergies/asthma.

Ironically, it was a neurologist who ordered my most recent creatinine tests in October and November. I ended up with viral meningitis. Scary thing though is that he found some autoimmune issues in my bloodwork through tests none of the other docs have ordered. Now I'm going for bloodwork every 6 mos so they can monitor those new issues.

I do worry about the Calcium absorption on high dose PPI's for so many years. It has been about 9 years now at those levels. I'm not old enough for insurance to cover any bone density testing though unless I have symptoms.

Last edited by MountainReader; 12-31-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Bad reflux if you don't, possible kidney problems if you do, yes, I do know the frustration of being caught between the drug and the side effects with no good options, though for different conditions.

All I can say is that kidney problems from PPI are rare but not impossible. Have you ever tried Pepcid? It's not the same as Zantac, and it might help you to cut back on Prevacid if that becomes necessary.

I pray that your kidneys are still strong and the one elevated creatine reading was just a fluke. Hang in there.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
    catiebee
    (female)

catiebee HB User

Thank you, MountainReader and JaneWhite.

MountainReader, thank you for clarifying. I had misinterpreted what you sais about your blood tests.

Yeah, Prevacid's become so expensive. Being able to take a single dose of the Dexilant is a real plus. (I can't take generic Prevacid--tons of palpitations--and I tried to get by on OTC Prevacid while we had insurance that wouldn't pay for it. A high dose of the OTC made matters worse.)

You've got lots of doctoring going on related to the reflux. It sounds like your GERD has been horrendous to manage, since it affects you on so many levels.

I'm sorry to hear about your newer health concerns, the meningitis and autoimmune issues. I'm glad your neurologist caught them, but hate that you're dealing with one more problem.

JaneWhite, I'm sorry you have experienced that kind of double-bind with medications before--it can't be easy to manage those kinds of choices.

At one time or other I think I've tried all the H2 blockers, including Pepcid, and they all gave me a killer headache. I posted to ask whether anyone has overcome those headaches by persisting in taking the meds, but I don't think anyone relates to that issue. Thanks so much--I'm praying, too, and trying not to get overwrought.

Closed Thread