It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Products that reduce acid in food & beverages?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
    catiebee
    (female)

catiebee HB User
    Products that reduce acid in food & beverages?

I'm wondering whether folks have had good experiences with any of the acid binding or acid reducing products that you can take with food and drink.

I bought some Prelief and I'm not sure about it yet. It's got some rave reviews and you're supposed to be able to take a couple of these calcium-rich pills before you eat or drink something that would ordinarily irritate. My stomach has been on the warpath ever since I've had the bottle, and I haven't used it consistently enough to tell whether it really helps. (And I'm trying to not eat or drink things ATM that would exacerbate the reflux).

One product I'd like to try is Buismans Low acid coffee mixer. I really miss drinking hot tea. I'd stay with decaf tea and try to reduce the tannins with the Buismans. The manufacturer indicates it works well for tea & coffee.

Has anyone tried either of these, or do you know of other products that have allowed you to have some foods and beverages you ordinarily would have to avoid?

Last edited by catiebee; 01-01-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: Products that reduce acid in food & beverages?

A simple method is to take a Zantac 150mg pill half an hour before eating/drinking the offending food or drink

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
    catiebee
    (female)

catiebee HB User

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad that works for you. I can't take Zantac or any of the H2 blockers that I've tried because they give me blinding headaches.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
    bubblegirl
    Veteran
    (female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

I'm on Nexium but I find adding Mylanta Emulsion at night helps a lot! I'm at my worst when I lie down but if I take the Mylanta about 1 hour before bed it makes a huge difference! Good luck!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
    catiebee
    (female)

catiebee HB User

Thank you for your reply, Bubblegirl. I use Mylanta as needed also.

Actually, though, I'm not inquiring about OTC meds..... I am wondering about the various products you can mix into your food or take while you eat or drink to counteract the acid content of the food and beverage.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Prerelief is just an expensive version of Tums - chewing 1-2 tums before eating an offending food would neutralise any acid present in the food, and any acid in your stomach at the time..... not sure about the other products you mention, sorry

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread