It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Help will the acid inflammation go away on its own?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
    tofumix
    (female)

tofumix HB User
    Wink Help will the acid inflammation go away on its own?

My doctor said i have red bumps in my nose and an inflamed vocal cord due to stomach acid burn. My doctor told me it will go away on its own with time. I am on PPI and antacids. I am on PPI for only a week, the doctor told me to take 2 months or at least 1 month to see improvements with my throat and nose and esophagus. It still doesn't feel normal inside because of my burnt tissues. I am scared the red bumps from the acid inflammation won't go away and cause my cells to mutate and someday turn into cancer. No stomach acid is coming up to my nose anymore, so no further causing damage to it. Help me please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Help will the acid inflammation go away on its own?

Your doctor gave you good advice.

It only takes a small amount of acid to irritate the vocal cords and sinuses. They aren't designed to deal with the acid like your esophagus is to it will take a long time for them to heal even when you do get your acid under control.

Don't worry about cancer. While there is no guarantee, it is highly unlikely you will develop it from having reflux for such a short period of time. I've had SEVERE reflux for 9 years. It is so bad that my primary care doctor, GI doc, ENT and Pulmonologist have all told me it is some of the very worst they have ever seen. I have lung, throat and sometimes sinus symptoms from the acid. I get scoped regularly to check for damage, but so far have had no signs of damage at all. There is a small chance of developing Barretts, but with regular monitoring, you should be able to catch things sooner rather than later. Your PPI's should help heal your esophagus and stomach.

For throat irritation, my ENT recommends a gargle to help with the irritation. I'm listing it below in case you want to try it.

1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. clear corn syrup
    6 oz. warmed distilled water

Gargle gently for 2 minutes. Do not rinse. Use as often as necessary.

Nasal inflammation might be helped by by use of a Neti-pot or saline sprays. It is also important to stay hydrated.

If your throat continues to be bad, you might consider using Guaifenesin. My ENT has also recommended I try very low dose tricyclic anti-depressants. They don't agree with my system though so I can't tell you how effective they are.

Closed Thread