It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid Reflux or Stomach Cancer?? I'm so scared.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
    xXxEricaxXx
    (female)

xXxEricaxXx HB User
    Acid Reflux or Stomach Cancer?? I'm so scared.

Hi guys,

I know it's long but please reply I'm so afraid and could really use other peoples thoughts!

I'm posting this as I'm so terrified that I could have stomach cancer. I've had my symptoms for about 2 years but I didn't really every take much notice of them until the last 6 months or so when they got worse. Now, they are at there peak! I'm in constant pain and can't do anything.
    Orignially, I was worried that the pain in my chest was heart related. I quickly got that confirmed from the doctor that there was nothing wrong with my heart and she said it is either acid reflux or anxiety. She gave me a stool test to test for acid reflux but because I was so relieved it wasn't heart related and I didn't really want to scoop up my poo I just kind of left it. Stupid me!
    The symptoms began to decrease anyway but recently they have flared up and are at there worst. For the past week or so I'm in constant pain - integestion and acid heartburn. The pain is so horrible people look at me and say ' but how can integestion be that bad?,' No painkillers even touch it and rennies only dulls it for an hour or so. I'm tired all the time. Bloated after every meal (granted, I do over eat) I have a sore throat and a hoarse voice in the morning. I often have difficulty swallowing properly. I feel sick often. I suffer from a sore tummy at least once a day. I haven't actually been sick though and there is no blood in my stools. The more I researched the more I realised I had all of the symptoms of stomach cancer and I was so scared that I actually had a panic attack. I am aware that acid reflux and SC have very similar symptoms though.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow but I'm just so scared that I can't sleep. Can anyone help? Share their stories? What do you think? By the way, I'm 24. I've had blood tests done but they were to pick up things with my heart and not anything to do with cancer, if I did have it, would they have spotted something wrong in my bloods even if they weren't testing for that in paticular?

Also, if after having the symptoms for 2 years and it WAS cancer, would I be much more ill than I am now? Would I be actually vomiting and seeing blood in it? Or could I even of survived this long with no treatment.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for taking the time out to read. Please help!

Last edited by xXxEricaxXx; 01-30-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux or Stomach Cancer?? I'm so scared.

I'm assuming you are relatively young (under 50)? Then yes, if you'd been having symptoms of cancer for 2 years without treatment, you'd probably be dead or close to dead by now. Certainly you'd be seeing more obvious cancer symptoms like drastic weight loss with no change in diet.

Number one, stop taking pain relievers. Aspirin or ibprofen will make your stomach worse, and Tylenol/paracetamol won't help.

If you can get to a pharmacy, try some over-the-counter acid reducers, like Zantac. They generally work within an hour.

When you go to the doctor tomorrow, going in freaked out about cancer is not the best plan of attack. Describe your symptoms, how often and how severely, and ask:

1) Is it reflux? Should tests be done to confirm it?

2) What can you do to relieve the symptoms in the short term?

3) What will help in the long term?

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
    xXxEricaxXx (01-31-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    xXxEricaxXx (01-31-2011)
    Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
    xXxEricaxXx
    (female)

xXxEricaxXx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    I'm assuming you are relatively young (under 50)? Then yes, if you'd been having symptoms of cancer for 2 years without treatment, you'd probably be dead or close to dead by now. Certainly you'd be seeing more obvious cancer symptoms like drastic weight loss with no change in diet.

Number one, stop taking pain relievers. Aspirin or ibprofen will make your stomach worse, and Tylenol/paracetamol won't help.

If you can get to a pharmacy, try some over-the-counter acid reducers, like Zantac. They generally work within an hour.

When you go to the doctor tomorrow, going in freaked out about cancer is not the best plan of attack. Describe your symptoms, how often and how severely, and ask:

1) Is it reflux? Should tests be done to confirm it?

2) What can you do to relieve the symptoms in the short term?

3) What will help in the long term?
    Thank you very much for your response. I'm 24, 25 next month. I rarely take any kind of painkillers (except tonight because pain was so bad, was a long shot, but only end up making pain worse) I have recently been taking rennie which as I said did dull the pain a little.

Thank you for your advice, this will help a lot to be more structured in my appointment tomorrow because right now I feel like just bursting into tears!

Anyway, you've given me enough peace of mind that I should be able to sleep tonight. Thank you! You're an

I will report back with whatever doc says.

xxx

Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
    rjbeck78
    (male)

rjbeck78 HB User

The symptoms you have are 99% GERD and the pain you are feeling can be that bad. GERD pain can so bad you think you are having a heart attack.You mentioned pain killers what medication? If your are taking any meds with opiates they are known for Gerd symptoms that can be bad. As a patient with a 6 year history of GERD due to pain medication because of a bone disease I have gone thru almost every test for acid reflux.Also All fried foods,citrus,tomato sauces and many meds cause these severe symptoms. For me I take 1 prilosec 20mg twice daily and this takes care of all of my GERD issues. Hope you feel better RB

The Following User Says Thank You to rjbeck78 For This Useful Post:
    xXxEricaxXx (01-31-2011)
    Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
    xXxEricaxXx
    (female)

xXxEricaxXx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbeck78 View Post
    The symptoms you have are 99% GERD and the pain you are feeling can be that bad. GERD pain can so bad you think you are having a heart attack.You mentioned pain killers what medication? If your are taking any meds with opiates they are known for Gerd symptoms that can be bad. As a patient with a 6 year history of GERD due to pain medication because of a bone disease I have gone thru almost every test for acid reflux.Also All fried foods,citrus,tomato sauces and many meds cause these severe symptoms. For me I take 1 prilosec 20mg twice daily and this takes care of all of my GERD issues. Hope you feel better RB
    Thank you for your response. I had taken paracetamol and a few months ago tried aspirin a couple of times. The very first time the aspirin somehow worked but never since. I don't take any painkillers now. Past few days have been taking Rennies and they dull pain for a little while. Although, the one I took today didn't touch it!
    After my docs appointment today I've been prescribed 20mg Omeprazole which I'm to take after I've provided them with a stool sample so they can test for acid reflux and a blood tests to check my hemoglobin and other stuff. I can't wait to start taking them and see if they relieve my symptoms!

I hope I don't have to stop eating tomato based sauces because I adore them! lol

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
    tryingtorelax
    (female)

tryingtorelax HB User

Erica- I also thought I must have cancer when I was at my worst - but I'm still alive and doing much better actually. I thank you for responding to my post - I'm the one that thinks yogurt is my trigger food, or "strong" dairy.

Also, I have to say that if you worry about things like me anxiety may really be making your reflux worse. I have anxiety and if I take a Xanax my pain usually subsides for a while. The two go hand in hand, especially if you have a sensitive digestive system like I do. Start worrying and the pain gets worse - which is why maybe it started hurting at the doc's office today?

When my reflux gets bad I drink aloe vera juice in the moring and at night and take DGL chewable tablets before meals which helps a lot. And once we figure out the trigger we will feel even better! Good luck to you. Keep us posted on your results from the doc.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xXxEricaxXx View Post
    Thank you for your response. I had taken paracetamol and a few months ago tried aspirin a couple of times. The very first time the aspirin somehow worked but never since. I don't take any painkillers now. Past few days have been taking Rennies and they dull pain for a little while. Although, the one I took today didn't touch it!
    After my docs appointment today I've been prescribed 20mg Omeprazole which I'm to take after I've provided them with a stool sample so they can test for acid reflux and a blood tests to check my hemoglobin and other stuff. I can't wait to start taking them and see if they relieve my symptoms!

I hope I don't have to stop eating tomato based sauces because I adore them! lol
    I haven't posted in awhile , I have had gerd since 2004. Today I spent five hours hooked up to a heart monitor. Had mylanta and lidocaine, and also iv pantaprazole. I am now on 80mg of pantaprazole and also ranitidine with it. I don't think I've ever had the pain so bad as what I had today. They were going to keep me in and do morphine, but i felt a little better and went home. Also waiting for my next scope.

You will have to give your omeprazole time to work, especially if you have any sort of iinflammation, it will not work overnight. As far as food goes every individual is different. What effects me, may not effect you. So yeah lol you might not have to give up your tomato based food. I know cheese and capsicum are two of my enemies so I stay away from them.

My worst habit is going out for dinner , and because I'm feeling good at the time I might think....oh what the he'll I'll just eat that.

I have been on antibiotics for months for a resistant uti, I think that's what done me in. I'm off antibiotics for two months.

I think there are a lot of us who have it more severe than some others. The people that do - how bad are those heart attack pains. I had the sore shoulder,arm and everything going today. Feeling a lot better tonight tho. Anyway take care and I hope you feel a whole lot better soon. Xo

Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I agree with the other poster. If you had had stomach cancer for two years without treatment, you would probably be dead by now. You may have severe reflux or ulcers that come and go or esophagitis from the reflux.

I hope you let us know how it goes with your doctor. Hopefully, it will be something that is treatable. I understand your fear. I remember when I started to experience episodes of heartburn I was sure I had esophageal cancer. In fact, I went and paid out of pocket for an endoscopy to alleviate my fears.

Let us know how it goes with your doctor. Likely, he/she will suggest an upper endoscopy, look into your esophagus and stomach, take biopsies and provide you with a treatment plan.

Rose

Closed Thread