It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Got rid of 90% of my Reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
    bigbird85
    (male)

bigbird85 HB User
    Smile Got rid of 90% of my Reflux

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to share with you how i've got rid of 90% of my Acid Reflux in the hope it helps someone else :-)

My condition started 2 years ago, got rushed into the emergency room bad chest pains, collapsed. Lived with very bad acid reflux for 18 months after that. In and out of hospital and the docs.

Had an endoscope was on omeprazole, then lansoprazole(prevacid), Nexium. Terrible side effects!

After 18 months i'd had enough and decided to go Private rather than on the national health service(UK)

Saw a brilliant doctor who wanted me to have another endoscope, he actually found something unlike the nhs who said it was normal. I had acid reflux and bile reflux. You get what you pay for!!!

He put me on medications but the side effects were to great. He then suggested a diet which was wheat free and dairy free. The diet takes about 6 months to kick in fully and in some people it can get rid of the reflux almost entirely. It works as wheat and dairy cause a lot of gas, so worse reflux!

I still take lansoprazole, but i've got it down to one 30MG tablet every 3 days!!!!!

This is amazing considering i use to be on 30MG lansoprazole a day, 6 Metoclopramide a day, Also one Rantadine i forget the dosage but it was very high!

Another thing i've discovered is if i take lansoprazole everyday i get acid reflux!!!! But if i take it as infrequently as possible i get less reflux. A doctor i spoke to once told me PPI's in some cases can actually cause gastritis so if possible try and miss it for just one day and see if you notice a difference.

Theres plenty of different wheat free and dairy free products at the store, they even have beer!!! I never thought i'd be able to drink beer again. It might be worth giving the diet a shot, but i'd check with your doc first.

I know this won't work for everyone, but it's transformed my life!

I still can't drink black coffee though, tried some this morning ouch!!! But i can now eat currys, chillie, Tomato based things!

I noticed some improvement after 1 month and now theres times where my wife has really bad heart burn and i don't, yet we ate the same thing!!!

Good Luck! And i'm sure someday you'll find a solution that works for you, just hang in there.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Got rid of 90% of my Reflux

Hi Big Bird:

Congratulations on your improvement and thank you for sharing.

I am not sure if wheat itself is my trigger, but too many carbs definitely are. It may not be wheat. It can be white bread as well. I notice that too many carbs definitely trigger heartburn episodes for me. When I reduce the carbs, I can go from constant heartburn to much less in a couple of days. Therefore, I consume as few carbs as I can.

Hope you are able to continue your road to recovery.

Rose

Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
    ms.titanium
    (female)

ms.titanium HB User

I am getting ready to go on the elimination diet where all wheat, soy and dairy are removed from your diet. I have been taking PPI's for years and I have developed osteopina. PPI's stop you from absorbing calcium and now my bones are getting weak. I have stopped taking PPI's cold turkey before but this time I am tapering off. I have gone 3 days now with out a pill and I feel pretty good about it. I wish you luck and please keep posting your progress. I need to see that it can be done!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
    Jewels60
    (female)

Jewels60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ms.titanium View Post
    I am getting ready to go on the elimination diet where all wheat, soy and dairy are removed from your diet. I have been taking PPI's for years and I have developed osteopina. PPI's stop you from absorbing calcium and now my bones are getting weak. I have stopped taking PPI's cold turkey before but this time I am tapering off. I have gone 3 days now with out a pill and I feel pretty good about it. I wish you luck and please keep posting your progress. I need to see that it can be done!
    I too have taken PPI's for 11 years. I also have Oseopina. But I also have Barrett's and the doc insists I will have to take my PPI the rest of my life.

I could easily go off wheat and all carbs but not sure I can give up ice cream. Eating gerd free is already such a restrictive diet. I have to have one thing to treat myself.
    I eat very small meals, no tomato products, no chocolate, I can drink one cup of coffee if I put Coffee Mate in 1/3 of the cup. No fried foods, onions, garlic, Carbonated soft drinks
    etc.etc etc...
    It gets quite discouraging at times.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
    sevenseas831
    (female)

sevenseas831 HB Usersevenseas831 HB User

There are some really good soy, rice, and coconut milk-based ice creams. I have tried several and they are not bad. I have found, though, that soy (I was eating a lot of it) causes a lot of GI problems, so maybe the rice or coconut milk-based would be better.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Lets also not forget almond milk. It is delicious and good for you.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
    Jewels60
    (female)

Jewels60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sevenseas831 View Post
    There are some really good soy, rice, and coconut milk-based ice creams. I have tried several and they are not bad. I have found, though, that soy (I was eating a lot of it) causes a lot of GI problems, so maybe the rice or coconut milk-based would be better.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll look into it.

I have tried almond milk and hated it. JMO

Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jewels60 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'll look into it.

I have tried almond milk and hated it. JMO
    Oops! Sorry about that. I particularly liked the vanilla and chocolate flavored ones.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
    Jewels60
    (female)

Jewels60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
    Oops! Sorry about that. I particularly liked the vanilla and chocolate flavored ones.
    Oh heavens don't be sorry. I may have been too emphatic about that. I have only tried Almond milk. My husband bought it for me so I didn't realize there were different flavors. I'll have to look into it.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
    bprapcyc
    (male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

Try chocolate. I find the cocoa masks the nutty flavor best. (Use chocolate soymilk on my cereal)

Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
    Jewels60
    (female)

Jewels60 HB User

The chocolate doesn't cause acid reflux on you?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
    bigbird85
    (male)

bigbird85 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
    Hi Big Bird:

Congratulations on your improvement and thank you for sharing.

I am not sure if wheat itself is my trigger, but too many carbs definitely are. It may not be wheat. It can be white bread as well. I notice that too many carbs definitely trigger heartburn episodes for me. When I reduce the carbs, I can go from constant heartburn to much less in a couple of days. Therefore, I consume as few carbs as I can.

Hope you are able to continue your road to recovery.

Rose
    Thanks! I never thought about the carbs thing, i'll have to try that. Thats really good that you've found a solution! I just wish more research would be done into it, it would save a lot of suffering!!

sevenseas831, i wasn't aware Soy based products could cause GI problems!! I've tryed the soy ice creams, 2 of them actually gave me reflux problems but 1 is ok. Thanks for that info!

mmmm chocolate ice cream we can dream. One day they'll be a cure i'm sure, 1 pill,lol.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User

Right now, I'm currently gluten/dairy/egg/sugar free. How's that for restricted? I recently had food sensitivity testing done with a Naturopathic Doctor I've been seeing for over 6 months. She's very helpful and the jury is still out on how accurate the test is...I've read pros and cons. However, I've only been restricted for 2 weeks so It's too soon to tell. I did score very high on dairy across the board, chicken eggs, gluten, wheat and sugar. They are the biggies. I even scored moderate with almonds and broccoli of all things. I love almonds and broccoli but for now they are out, along with A LOT of other foods. I eat my veggies with only salt, no butter. The only carbs I get are in fruit and veggies. I tried Gluten Free oatmeal but that seemed to bother me, too. Breakfast is a big chore. I'm actually eating veggies and protein for breakfast with fruit. Weird, I know, but I'm determined. I'm so frustrated at this whole reflux thing I'll do anything. I want to find the root cause, not mask with pills. I do use Aloe Vera Juice and DGL as needed. I'm convinced that 10 years of PPI use totally ruined my digestion and caused these food intolerances. I just wish there was some way of knowing for sure that all what I'm doing is not in vain.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
    missjade11
    (female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

Thank you very much! I'm not insane lol....

I got gastritis from taking an antibiotic for a Urinary Tract Infection by day 3 of Cipro I had burning under my left rib. Endoscopy showed mild inflammation.. I then tried PPI's but I had more increased burning belching and pain after 9 LONG mths of trying it the burning got more and more intense, I went off... and have gone herbal and although I have some pain its not NEAR AS BAD I do believe I have a long way to healing for I have burn, but not as bad as when I was on the PPI the burning under my left rib was 100 times more painful. I use to have night belching attacks all night long!

I then later linked it all together that medications induced gastriits (as you were saying with a PPI, as what happen to me with the antibiotic and PPI) in some people almost a chemical reaction. I then did the no dairy and no wheat and ate a low seasoned diet with fresh herbs only but full of veggies fruit and fishes (increasing my fish intake has helped, I eat no red meat or pork anymore...chicken, fish and turkey only) etc it helps.

I now do things like this and I have a regime set up by a alternative med doctor:

Silicol Gel- soothing and coater ( I cut out aloe vera and now use silicol its more soothing for me)
    Turmeric-inflammation
    Slippery Elm- coating
    Chamomile- calming
    Marshmallow Root- calming
    Mastic Gum- protects the lining of the stomach
    Renew Life Intestinew- nutrients to the lining of stomach
    Probiotics- stomach bacteria
    DGL Tablets- help acid
    Avipattikar Churna.- helps acid
    Amalaki- helps acid and antioxidant

etc... herbs of this nature!

Last edited by missjade11; 02-09-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
    popps
    (male)

popps HB User

Thank you for posting a success story and the details. It's so important for people to update their scenarios so other people can find help. I wish more people would do this.

Congrats!

Closed Thread