It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• I00% rid of my heart burn, acid reflux and Gerd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    I00% rid of my heart burn, acid reflux and Gerd

Hi all

I have had digestive problems, and reflux, etc. for years, including the face piercing headaches and nausea (even vomiting) that goes with it all. I was diagnosed with Gerd, etc. and prescribed and took the usual medications.

It always seemed like I didn't have enough digestive juices, in spite of this supposedly being about too much acid. I have tried so many drugs and other solutions, practically living on Tagamet and Zantac and calcium tablets like Tums or Rolaids. I tried digestive enzymes, probiotics and acidophilis, cutting certain foods out of my diet, and all that, too.

A few weeks ago I had read that as we age we don't need less acid so much as we need to supplement digestive acid with Pepsin and Hydrochloric acid. The recommendation is to take Betaine HCI (easily purchased from any health food store) before eating foods with protein / fat. The symptoms of long term not properly digesting protein and fats is very dry skin, and dry, cracking & thin fingernails. Do I ever have those symptoms. I knew I ate plenty of protein and healthy fats, but my skin and nails remained very dry.

For the last two weeks, I have been taking 350 mg Betaine HCI with water before eating a meal with any kind of protein or fat, and I now have no reflux or digestive upsets of any kind whatsoever. In fact those problems ended the very first time I took the Betaine HCI.

I find that eating tomatoes or spices doesn't bother me at all now, and so they probably were not ever the source of my problem.

I have read about supplementing digestive acids long ago, and had tried some, so I suggest that you learn what digestive acids help break down the foods that affect your own health symptoms, and that you try some different digestive supplements till you find the digestive acids you personally need. Talk with a knowledgeable health food store employee. They can really help.

Good luck!

Last edited by yayagirl; 02-05-2011 at 10:23 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to yayagirl:
    newbe (02-05-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    Sweetlife12 (02-06-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
    bigbird85
    (male)

bigbird85 HB User
    Re: I00% rid of my heart burn, acid reflux and Gerd

Wow! Thats amazing! It just shows you if you do your own research you can find the solution. Most drs just prescribe drugs that's all there good at.

I'm really happy for you that you've solved it :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to bigbird85 For This Useful Post:
    yayagirl (02-05-2011)
    Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Thanks newbe for the hug, and thanks bigbird85 for the cheers. Yes, isn't it amazing??

Yep, doctors are taught medicine and surgery so that is what they prescribe, unless they also did other studies. I don't fault them for it, but I have had one doctor tell me nutrition has nothing to do with sickness. I turned around and looked him right in the eyes, and said "You know better than that."
    What an absurd statement.

You know, I had been researching nutrients and supplementation for years, and didn't find what I was lacking, but it was a doctor that recommended the Betaine HCI. It made sense to me from my own studies, and just happens to be what I needed.

It takes awhile for the skin and nails to heal and rebalance, so I will repost when those improve. I had a doctor tell me I have dryer skin than anyone he has ever seen. I call it mummy skin. It's awful and if you saw my nails. ugh. They grow but they peel and are ridged and very thin. My skin and nails were not always like this, so I hope for restoration.

How are y'all doing with your issues?

Last edited by yayagirl; 02-05-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
    Usagihime
    (female)

Usagihime HB UserUsagihime HB User

Congratulations first of all! I mentioned to my family doctor about the possibility of me having low acid instead of other things, but he just simply said "that is not the common thing" and left it at that, told me to keep on taking Nexium. I am currently taking probiotics supplements as well, and waiting for tests results. I would like to get off PPIs as soon as possible, so this can be something I can try when results come back and I'm not feeling better...

The following user gives a hug of support to Usagihime:
    yayagirl (02-06-2011)
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
    relux sufferer
    (male)

relux sufferer HB User

I am going to buy some betaine and try this tomorrow, been living with this issue for a while, and i am fed up of sickness when i take my miracid at the wrong hour.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: relux sufferer
    melody627 (02-12-2011),yayagirl (02-06-2011)
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Usagihime

Thank you!

I daresay I would be amazed if any medical doctor would admit that low acid may be our problem, because they have a book in which they look up symptoms and then offer the drug that was created for that symptom. Don't get me wrong. I am for modern medicine and doctors. I've had many a cause to need them. But they often just are not rounded out with further information, which is too bad. So we need to educate ourselves and share with each other, which is why I so appreciate this website.

It simply is not in the doctors' 'book' that reflux or gerd or indigestion may easily be from low stomach acid or enzymes, actually at any age. Yet it should be in their book, given the modern 'new world' diet of sugars, bad fats and refined, prepackaged, dead foods. I say dead just because our food is usually overcooked and highly processed. We need the live enzymes and good bacteria in raw or lightly steamed, fresh foods to be able to process what we eat. I try to eat a half an apple or fresh veggies such as before a meal.

It is the doctor's job to tell us to "keep on taking Nexium". They are paid handsomely to prescribe medication. And I sure was glad to stop thecoughing, throat clearing, belching and burping and sick stomach. But I found that after the short initial effect of the prescriptions that the disturbances got worse and the drugs and raising the head of my bed, or sleeping sitting up, etc. didn't resolve the problem.

Which is why I kept reading and researching and trying things. Actually I had read many times that not enough of the right digestive acid was the culprit, but only now found the kind of supplement I personally need. I know health food stores sell different supplements that aid digestion of different foods.

Probiotics help the intestines function properly, but don't supply stomach acis, in case you didn't know that...not to assume you don't know.

I really would like to know what tests you had done and the results, if you want to share them.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thumbs up Re: I00% rid of my heart burn, acid reflux and Gerd

HI fellow relux sufferer

Make sure it is the Betaine HCI . It is Pepsin with Hydrochloric acid. If I spelled it right. You don't have to take the mg strength I am taking. You could start with a lower strength and raise the strength if needed. That strength is just what the local store had at the price I wanted to pay.

It is an aid to digestion of protein and fats. That is what I have difficulty digesting. Fat & protein will sit in my stomach until it becomes reflux when i don't take the Betaine HCI.

If you know it is other types of foods you cannot properly digest please discuss it with the health food store attendant. You may need a different digestive enzyme or acid.

At any rate please let me know how this trial goes for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    Flyerfan (02-10-2011)
    Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User

I have been seeing a Naturopathic Dr for over 6 months since I stopped my PPI. I've had my ups and downs with this going several weeks feeling pretty good, then the reflux will come back, not terribly bad but just enough to frustrate me. I've been using Aloe and DGL, which helps. Some days, I don't have to use much at all, but some days the reflux is revved up. I've tried apple cider vinegar before and it seemed to work but it was too much to drink that several times a day. I've heard about the HCI supplementation and I think I will bring this up at my next appointment with my ND next week. I've already had food sensitivity testing and currently I'm staying away from those "offending" foods. It's only been 2 weeks so it's too soon to tell if that will help. I'm a sooooo limited with my foods right now, it's unbelievable. I am eating better than I have in my life and I've made ALL the lifestyle changes. When I think back at the last 10 years of PPI use, I am totally convinced that they ruined my digestion and caused my LES to relax too much. And I'm ****** at that.

Hopefully, I will be trying the HCI.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
    lainers
    (female)

lainers HB User

I will try ANYTHING at this point. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
    melody627
    (female)

melody627 HB User
    Wink Re: I00% rid of my heart burn, acid reflux and Gerd

Hi
    Great information here! I have been trying the very same thing, although I believe I have gallstones and have been addressing them also

Last edited by Administrator; 08-24-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
    melody627
    (female)

melody627 HB User

Hi
    What does PPI stand for?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melody627 View Post
    Hi
    What does PPI stand for?
    Proton Pump Inhibitors....like Nexium, Aciphex, Prilosec, etc.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
    JLES
    (female)

JLES HB User

Hello everyone. Well Im suffering too so I will see what you think. I was on Lansoprazole (Zoton) for a stomach ulcer then shortly afterwards I had to have mygallbladder out. For a while it was fine with my stomach so I stopped taking the PPIs and then had a massive rush of acid come up. I had so much pain and ended up seeing paramedics and the hospital. Anyway I was in pain a lot and vomiting and often had pasms of the oesophagus ending up in hospital. An endoscopy showed inflammation in my oesophagus and stomach. I have been suffering for over a year with this and it keeps getting worse with reflux, pain and difculty eating. I have tried Chinese herbs which havent helped and recently it has got bad again so Im fed up. Im scared to try more remedies like the Betaine HCL. Im open to advice and peoples experiences. Thanks. Also how about acupunture? Anyone had that and got results?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
    miketx
    (male)

miketx HB Usermiketx HB User

Last week, I read a book devoted to HCL supplementation. The author recommends against self-experimentation with HCL and pepsin supplements and suggests supplementing under the supervision of a doctor or nutritionist. I've never tried acupuncture, but I'm considering it; I have a stressful job, and one of my triggers appears to be stress. To the extent that acupuncture can help me deal with the stress, it can only help. I've also heard that chiropractic adjustments and osteopathic manipulation can help strengthen the LES. Those ideas make sense but obviously lack support through rigorous testing.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-24-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
    bimik
    (female)

bimik HB User

Did any one of you try any tests to diagnoze low stomach acid ? I also have that problem. But do you think it can give you sore throat ? ( lets say you don't digest the food and it becomes acidic). I heard about Heidelberg Gastric Analysis, I will probably ask my GI ifI can have it done instead of endoscopy and Bravo test.

Closed Thread