It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• First time on Nexium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
    mind mist
    (female)

mind mist HB User
    First time on Nexium

Hi

I consider myself fortunate that I very rarely require prescription medication. I could probably count on one hand the number of prescriptions Iíve filled out in the past 7 years. However, I recently had an absolutely horrible 3 week flare up of Gerd that had me running to the doctor for relief. My doc prescribed me Nexium 40 mg for 30 days. I have never taken a PPI beforeÖso I wasnít sure what to expect.

I am currently on day 12 of Nexium and so far no noticeable side effects (*knock on wood). And I would say 90% of my Gerd symptoms(heartburn, nausea, loss of appetite, burping, tenderness) are gone. The only thing that worries me is what will happen after I take that last pill? Will all the acid come rushing back?! Is there anything special I should be doing to ease that transition when it comes to finishing the medication? Iíve already adjusted my diet, my bed elevation and am trying to lose weight.

Any advice from experienced users would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
    fixed
    (male)

fixed HB User
    Re: First time on Nexium

While I haven't taken Nexium, I can say from my horrifying 1-month experience on PPIs that you might want to wean yourself off, rather than stopping cold turkey. I took Dexilant for 3 weeks, followed by 1 week of Aciphex, and had the most unbelievable side effects on them. I really thought I was going to die. Doc told me to just stop taking them, saying I would experience no "rebound" whatsoever, so I did. Contrary to my doctor's beliefs, I had terrible acid rebound for over 2 months. I am still not back to normal, nearly 4 months later. I believe the PPIs caused me more trouble than they were worth. From reading posts on this board, and doing general internet research, I found that I really am NOT crazy, even though my doc (whom I have fired) thought I was, since I EVER suggested such a phenomenon existed.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi There,
    I was given Nexium for Acid Reflux. Only took them for a week. Gave me awful dry mouth, probably too early to say but felt they were doing nothing.
    A friend has been on them for over a year and cannot leave them off or he gets double trouble with his AR.
    Myself I got rid of them after the one week. Wouldnt take the risk myself!!
    I am taking Aloe Vera and Grapefruit Seed Extract.(Too early to see results yet). Other than that I just take Gavison when really bothered with AR.
    I wish you all the best,
    Solofelix.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
    mind mist
    (female)

mind mist HB User

Thanks for the replies.

*sigh* Yeah, I figured there might be a rebound effect which is why I'm being very cautious about this. I think I'll try skipping a dose on Saturday to see what happens. I just hope the nausea doesn't return because that feeling is simply the worst of all my symptoms!

If all goes well I'll continue spacing apart the doses until I'm finished. Hopefully that will be good enough. I also picked up some Aloe Vera juice today. I'll use that alongside the other things I'm trying (ie. chamomile tea, Manuka honey, probiotics, exercise/massage for stress...)

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I agree the Nausea is just a (nightmare). I just woke up this morning and already getting that sick feeling and the (Washing Machine Stomach).
    I find that mine easy's of a bit after my breakfast.
    My DR gave me Motilium (DOMPERIDONE) for the Nausea. It Does help, doesn't seem to cause any side effects but everyone is different.
    I also drink peppermint tea and slice root-ginger in a cup of boiling water.
    I'm sure other people have their ideas as well.
    Best Wishes,
    Solofelix.

Closed Thread