It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Can't seem to get rid of esophagitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
    jzinc
    (male)

jzinc HB User
    Can't seem to get rid of esophagitis

So about 16 yrs ago, when I was in college I developed this burning sensation in by chest. Location is really high in the chest. If you put your finger on your collar bone and follow it down to center of chest, it ends up being at the very top of sternum. At the time I was drinking a fair bit of alcohol and under some stress. Went to the ER thinking it was my heart. They gave me a GI cocktail and put me on propulsid. Within a couple weeks the pain was gone.

Flash forward to nearly three months ago. I started getting the same pain, but it was more subtle at first with some feeling that there was something stuck in my throat. I just recently had an EGD and the doc says I have mild esophagitis and gastritis. What's interesting is that I figured he would have seen some ulcer or inflammation and looking at the pics he gave me, my esophageal lining looks nice and pink and smooth as glass. He told me to take prilosec and he'll follow up with me in July. Well, I've been taking the prilosec and it doesn't seem to be working.

When I 1st wake up in the morning I feel fine, but shortly after eating breakfast the pain starts back up. Dull to sometimes burning-like that can actually be revealed by either burping, chewing gum or sucking on carmel candy. Throughout the day, the pain will subside and sometimes feel like it's finally gone, but eventually comes back. Biopsies for food allergy were negative.

My Mom has had GI problems nearly all her life so I can thank her for inheriting some of the problems. I'm just wondering if it'll ever go away. I've cut out all caffeine (coffee, tea), no chocolate, which I was eating a lot of in combo with tea, usually couple hours before bed. I'm sure that didn't help. I cut way back on alcohol and have only had maybe 5 drinks in the last 3 months. My wife and I like to have a couple glasses of wine couple times a week and I can't even do that. I don't understand why it won't get better when I've removed many of the culprits.

To make matters worse, I'm pretty sure the esophagitis is responsible for my PVC's. I'm an active guy (6'1", 160lb) that cycles, runs and goes to the gym, but I've been having more frequent PVC's that started around the same time as the burning pain. The PVC's increase anxiety and unfortunately cycles the process. If I could just get rid of the darn upper chest pain, I know everything would be fine. To top it off, sometimes if I talk a lot, I feel more discomfort, as if the vocal cords are irritating the esophagus.

Just to reiterate, the pain is very high, only about 2" below the soft spot at base of neck. No issues directly behind the sternum or lower down. Thoughts?

The following user gives a hug of support to jzinc:
    angiekasp (06-05-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
    jzinc
    (male)

jzinc HB User
    Re: Can't seem to get rid of esophagitis

Anyone? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
    XxVelvetRose7
    (female)

XxVelvetRose7 HB User

Wow, i have the same problem with you just for 3 days now....painful isnt it?! no one answer my question and its the most difficult thing ive been through myself with waiting game for the next dr appointment...from the last april, i ended up in ER and found out i have ulcer colitis, IBS, GAS/acid and swollen colon...i was on medication for ulcer to heal but then no, it gotten worse til 3 days ago, i've the most horrible flare up out of my mouth and the most burning senstive in my chest and throat and i can still feel them right now from 3 days ago, now my chest and throat from my mouth to my lower ribs is still burning for 3 days, it feel soooo swollen, hard to breathe, hard to swollaw foods or pills, it pains when i breathe harder, laugh or cough, i take it lightly for my chest pains! i dont know what i have now, that just developed getting worse after ulcer...? god help me....Yup, i have to wait 5 days from today stomach ultrasound and waiting for the result on wednesday, they better not say theres nothing wrong with me, im in pain, and i want a normal life as 23 years old, but no, i have the most complication life for anyone to deal with me, i have a daughter and a sweet boyfriend, oh and colon problem is in my family health history too, but i am the youngest of all! What the heck going on with this world after the family blood from older to the youngest, i can thank them too, i feel you, we need the answer, our body is so complication when it come to deal with medication/treatment.....Im going crazy as you can see that!!! thank you for making me not only one here, give us some answer, anyone?!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
    XxVelvetRose7
    (female)

XxVelvetRose7 HB User

Oh by the way i forgot to mention that i drank fiber and it taken off the heavy been lifted off my shoulder so lightly, but still now i feel so full as i am hungry easily, all overly again, so i will be stuck with fiber to poop them out faster not just sitting in our colon and the foods is comming in, they sparkle as i felt that! not fun! so try fiber for now to see if it helps.....for daily, not just a day....i still feel so fulliness! do you have the stool problem going on or is it healthy? just curious cause that might be the problem..gas problem for both upper and bottom...just saying, i didnt know til i ended up in ER with these pains that i didnt take a shi* for days and, then my stomach sparkled like crazy as i cant handle these pain tha cause ulcer out of no where....acid kill my colon...killing is painful too, acid is the devil part in our body and with the foods you ate can trigger try to aviod and listen to your body, dont listen to doctor who tell you to avoid the foods, your body know better than he can answer you cause everyone is different! i love spicy all my life that the problem and we cant help it! just saying, try to be limit too..less of something that trigger you badly or else..

Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
    jzinc
    (male)

jzinc HB User

Well, after another month, still not 100% improved. What I have noticed is the pain in my esophagus is worse when sitting at my desk at work or when driving a vehicle. Weird, right? When I lay down at night, no issues. Even though endoscopy did not reveal hiatal hernia, I am wondering if that's what I have. Maybe a sliding hernia? Just doesn't make sense. When I walk around, I feel great, so I am thinking it has to do with the position of my body. When I am sitting, maybe more pressure is present and pushing on organs, including stomach farther up? Thoughts?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
    mind mist
    (female)

mind mist HB User

Interesting that you mention how sitting causes symptoms. I don't know what it is about sitting but it usually makes me feel worse no matter what medical condition I have. If I have bad sinusitis, sitting makes me dizzy. If I have acid reflux, sitting makes me nauseous. If I have chest/rib pain, sitting is painful. I agree, that walking around or laying down usually makes the symptoms lessen or go away. I do have a terrible tendency to slouch...and also carry a lot of tension in my shoulders and neck. I bet if I could correct those 2 things sitting might not be as problematic. But it's very hard to break some habits.

You may be right though that sitting is putting extra pressure on your stomach. Do you carry excess weight in the middle? Wear tight pants? Working at a computer and driving a car are both instances where your shoulders can roll forward. Perhaps that added motion hurts your chest area where the esophagus is?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
    jzinc
    (male)

jzinc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mind mist View Post
    Interesting that you mention how sitting causes symptoms. I don't know what it is about sitting but it usually makes me feel worse no matter what medical condition I have. If I have bad sinusitis, sitting makes me dizzy. If I have acid reflux, sitting makes me nauseous. If I have chest/rib pain, sitting is painful. I agree, that walking around or laying down usually makes the symptoms lessen or go away. I do have a terrible tendency to slouch...and also carry a lot of tension in my shoulders and neck. I bet if I could correct those 2 things sitting might not be as problematic. But it's very hard to break some habits.

You may be right though that sitting is putting extra pressure on your stomach. Do you carry excess weight in the middle? Wear tight pants? Working at a computer and driving a car are both instances where your shoulders can roll forward. Perhaps that added motion hurts your chest area where the esophagus is?
    No. I only weigh 160lbs at 6'2". I do slouch in my chair at work though. Seems like I have a bad computer/desk setup. I workout a fair bit at the gym to strengthen lower back, but doesn't seem to help.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
    Jcmackinn
    (female)

Jcmackinn HB User

I have had same. It is dreadful. Started taking a product call Natural Calm. It is a magnesium citrate powder. I took it for a better nights sleep. Reflux was keeping me awake. I now after four nights have perfect sleeps and NO reflux. I have not taken reflux pills for two days. Not a sign of it. Amazing. Buy at health food store

Closed Thread