It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Is it okay to go on an international trip with LPR/ reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #16
    tclarklpr
    (male)

tclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB User
    Re: Is it okay to go on an international trip with LPR/ reflux?

The EXTREME diet you speak of is Dr. Jamie Kaufman's "Induction Diet" - see on her web site. The book she wrote is actually very good (read the last chapter first then the first chapter) and there is a description of the Induction Diet. Also, there is a fairly recent paper which I think you can ******** on her website that discusses the role of diet in LPR and lists the Induction Diet basics. The Induction Diet is a modification of her general acid reducer diet but is the extreme with everything PH > 5 - it is an initial diet that you go on for 2 or 3 weeks as a cleanse of sorts. This is not a permanent thing, but, if I am eating PH>5 and taking PPIs x 2 daily and exercising, etc., then I will know soon enough rather this course of treatment is working. If I dont show physical signs of improvement during my next ENT visit in a week... then I am going to be able to safely say that something else is going on.

Basically, no condiments, no pepper, no fruits, ONLY drink water, no booze, no coffee, no beef, can eat chicken and fish but NO sauces, spices, herbs, etc. Everything is PLAIN. No butter. Eat a lot of vegetables.. and Tofu. Lots of brown rice. I eat whole wheat pasta, but replace tomato sauce with chicken stock and veg. Nothing out of can or processed because processed foods are acidic. I try to stay organic. I drink milk in the morning, but only lactaid milk. For a little flavor I use Manuka Honey. Can have breads - but only multigrain.

For a week now I have faithfully be on this and I have one more week to go. It can't hurt to try....its an expirement of sorts for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
    worrywartmom39
    (female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

I am guessing you go to such a strict diet if your symptoms are so severe they are dehabilitating? I don't think I could stick to a diet like that, I have three kids so it seems impossible. Groceries cost way to much to buy seperate items to eat from them. So what is a mother to do? hmmmmmm. Good luck to you though, I hope it works!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

What a lot of people do is go on a super-strict diet just for a couple weeks, to get things under control. Once you feel better, you can introduce more foods.

It seems that, for most patients, a super-strict anti-reflux diet isn't that much better than a moderate anti-reflux diet. I avoid the foods that are most triggering for me and limit total fat, for example.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
    tclarklpr
    (male)

tclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywartmom39 View Post
    I am guessing you go to such a strict diet if your symptoms are so severe they are dehabilitating? I don't think I could stick to a diet like that, I have three kids so it seems impossible. Groceries cost way to much to buy seperate items to eat from them. So what is a mother to do? hmmmmmm. Good luck to you though, I hope it works!
    This is not a diet for the long haul, just for 2 or 3 weeks to let my throat heal. After that, things can ease up.

Closed Thread