It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Excessive spitting upon waking up...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
    denk1025
    (male)

denk1025 HB User
    Excessive spitting upon waking up...

Hey everyone, never tried posting online about things like this before, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'll try to be as precise and to-the-point as possible..

For years I've had this issue and I haven't found anyone else who shares the same problem. Every single day (yes, every day) upon waking up I get an excessive amount of saliva (?) into my mouth causing me to have to spit it out.

It has a slight thickness and a touch of color to it (not red, definitely not blood) that makes me think there may be mucus or some sort of acidic build-up mixed in with the saliva.

Either way, it keeps coming up and coming up no matter how many times I spit. Mind you, I keep a small trash can next to my bed, so upon waking up I lean over and spit, rest my head for about 30 seconds to a minute, and spit again, and so on.

I don't swallow it because I feel like that would cause me to become nauseous, as I also tend to have a "gassy" and "upset stomach" feel upon waking up (every day).

I've tried many things. Eating right before bed. Not eating a while before bed. Sleeping with my upper half elevated. Nothing changes it.

The spitting lasts until I either drink a lot of water, chew gum, suck on a mint, or something along those lines that "counter-acts" it and stops it from coming up.

I don't know what it is, my Gastroenterologist doesn't even know what it is. A few years ago I had an endoscopy and it said I had slight gastritis and esophagitis. I was on Nexium for a while which helped my overall problems but the spitting still remained.

I'm only 24 years old and I want to get this taken care of as it's a pain in the neck (and stomach) to have to wake up every morning, spit for a long period of time and have an upset stomach feeling. I'd love to be able to wake up feeling great, set my feet on the floor and start the day on a positive note.

Any help or suggestions from anyone with any similar experience would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone else have this? Had it? Like I said I've never found anyone with the same issue.

Thanks and I hope someone can shed some light.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
    Tandem Rider
    (male)

Tandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB User
    Re: Excessive spitting upon waking up...

Gastritis makes me nauseous in the morning. I had a TIF to reduce my reflux and I stopped drinking all the time. My wife has been surprised how much less I drink after the TIF surgery. Another possibility would be sinus and allergy.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
    Midjad
    (male)

Midjad HB User

Hey!
    I have the same exact problem!
    Im sooo happy to meet someone else that has the problem as I do!
    My doctors dont know what it is either!
    Hey message me as soon as possible!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
    Steven45
    (male)

Steven45 HB UserSteven45 HB User

I have had what I call "juicy mouth" off and on for years. What happens is that I will get these bouts about 3-4 times each year (more or less) where I will start producing more saliva than usual (espeically when I eat). Mine happens at different times (not just in the mornings) and like you, I have been searching for a long time trying to find someone with the same symptom/condition and so far I'ver only found a few.

It would be great to talk to you and share. Send me a PM if you like or just reply here.

- Regards, Steve

Quote:
    Originally Posted by denk1025 View Post
    Hey everyone, never tried posting online about things like this before, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'll try to be as precise and to-the-point as possible..

For years I've had this issue and I haven't found anyone else who shares the same problem. Every single day (yes, every day) upon waking up I get an excessive amount of saliva (?) into my mouth causing me to have to spit it out.

It has a slight thickness and a touch of color to it (not red, definitely not blood) that makes me think there may be mucus or some sort of acidic build-up mixed in with the saliva.

Either way, it keeps coming up and coming up no matter how many times I spit. Mind you, I keep a small trash can next to my bed, so upon waking up I lean over and spit, rest my head for about 30 seconds to a minute, and spit again, and so on.

I don't swallow it because I feel like that would cause me to become nauseous, as I also tend to have a "gassy" and "upset stomach" feel upon waking up (every day).

I've tried many things. Eating right before bed. Not eating a while before bed. Sleeping with my upper half elevated. Nothing changes it.

The spitting lasts until I either drink a lot of water, chew gum, suck on a mint, or something along those lines that "counter-acts" it and stops it from coming up.

I don't know what it is, my Gastroenterologist doesn't even know what it is. A few years ago I had an endoscopy and it said I had slight gastritis and esophagitis. I was on Nexium for a while which helped my overall problems but the spitting still remained.

I'm only 24 years old and I want to get this taken care of as it's a pain in the neck (and stomach) to have to wake up every morning, spit for a long period of time and have an upset stomach feeling. I'd love to be able to wake up feeling great, set my feet on the floor and start the day on a positive note.

Any help or suggestions from anyone with any similar experience would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone else have this? Had it? Like I said I've never found anyone with the same issue.

Thanks and I hope someone can shed some light.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
    Midjad
    (male)

Midjad HB User

Bro thats awesome that someone else goes through what I go through every day!
    Ive been to soo many doctors!
    have you had any luck at all in finding out what may be the cause?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven45 View Post
    I have had what I call "juicy mouth" off and on for years. What happens is that I will get these bouts about 3-4 times each year (more or less) where I will start producing more saliva than usual (espeically when I eat). Mine happens at different times (not just in the mornings) and like you, I have been searching for a long time trying to find someone with the same symptom/condition and so far I'ver only found a few.

It would be great to talk to you and share. Send me a PM if you like or just reply here.

- Regards, Steve

Closed Thread