It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Digestive symptoms while exercising

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
    lamboworld
    (male)

lamboworld HB User
    Digestive symptoms while exercising

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that I started to experience GERD symptoms. I was diagnosed with GERD many years ago and took PPI's for a few years. After a while it got better and I went off the medicine. I haven't taken any PPI's or antacids for the past 5 years.

During exercise I have noticed the following and I am pretty sure that it is symptoms of GERD but I wanted to ask the question:

Burning from my upper stomach up to my jaw.
    Jaw burning on both sides.
    Both arms burning.

I am a 38 yr old male in pretty good health. I might be 10lbs over weight but other than that I am healthy. I don't take any meds.

Obviously, I am concerned because some of my symptoms are the same symptoms of heart issues. At, rest all of these symptoms go away except for the typical heartburn symptoms.

Also, 2 weeks ago I was able to run a 9 minute mile on the elliptical and since these symptoms have started I can barely go 5 minutes until the burning gets bad enough that I have to quit.

I have checked my BP and it is normal 125/80.

I guess that I need to go back to my PCP to get a prescription for some PPI's.

Are these symptoms normal for someone with GERD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Digestive symptoms while exercising

Yes, reflux can cause these symptoms, and for some people, exercise can trigger a bout of GERD. I personally think that reflux is the likeliest explanation.

Still, any chest pain specifically triggered by exercise is something that should probably be checked out.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
    lamboworld
    (male)

lamboworld HB User

I am still having these symptoms, but here is an update:

My PCP had me do an Echo Stress test to rule out any heart issues. I did the test and my results were normal.

The best way that I can describe the burning discomfort that I am experiencing, is that it feels like a lactic acid burn in my jaw, upper chest, upper stomach and shoulders. I experience these symptoms when I walk fast, workout or exert myself. They harder or faster I move or workout the worse these symptoms become. I also feel the need to burp when these burning symptoms are present. They burping becomse work the more I exert myself. I also have a gnawing feeling in my upper stomach.

My PCP put me on Dexilant and I also requested that she prescribe Carafate. I used Carafate about 5 years ago when I had stomach issues and it seemed to work well. These drugs have helped some but they have not eliminated my symptoms. I also took a blood test for H Pylori and it was negative.

I tend to have good and bad days. Some days my symptoms are very mild and other days if really bothers me.

My PCP suggested that I see a GI doctor and I am waiting on my appointment. It seem that every GI doc in my area is book up for 4 weeks.

She also thinks that I should see a Pulmonologist but I don't think that it is necessary since I don't have any breathing problems.

I personally believe that I either have an ulser, irritated stomach or acid refulx. My guess is that I have irritated my throat and stomach and my discomfort is becomes more pronounced when I exert myself.

Any other thoughts?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
    lamboworld
    (male)

lamboworld HB User

Still having these crazy symptoms.

My PCP sent me Pulmonologist to rule out any lung issues. The Pulmonologist decided that I should get a CT of my chest area to rule out any clots. The CT with contrast that I took came back negative, so it leads me to believe that these symptoms have to be coming from acid refulx.

I am currently taking Dexilant and Carafate and it has helped some but certainly not cured my symptoms.

I am going to a GI doc on Friday and I am sure that he will schedule an endoscopy. What other medicines or treatments should I consider?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
    Silas1066
    (male)

Silas1066 HB User

I've been running a lot lately and have been suffering from LPR-like symptoms. Running seems to make it worse. I get the burning sensation in the throat, globus feeling off and on, issues with my voice, etc. This has been going on since a bout of bronchitis last April, and I am frustrated beyond belief.

I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound more GERD/LPR like, or possibly mild asthma. Since the CT scan came back clean, and the stress test was fine, I don't think this is cardiovascular.

Do you have any symptoms when you are not exercising?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
    lamboworld
    (male)

lamboworld HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silas1066 View Post
    I've been running a lot lately and have been suffering from LPR-like symptoms. Running seems to make it worse. I get the burning sensation in the throat, globus feeling off and on, issues with my voice, etc. This has been going on since a bout of bronchitis last April, and I am frustrated beyond belief.

I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound more GERD/LPR like, or possibly mild asthma. Since the CT scan came back clean, and the stress test was fine, I don't think this is cardiovascular.

Do you have any symptoms when you are not exercising?
    Yes but I would say that they are mild symptoms.

Stomach burns if I eat something spicy or hot. My throat feels irriated most them and my tongue also has a burning sensation almost all of the time.

I certainly have GERD symptoms and they are typically mild to medium most of the time and I would say that my symptoms are greatly affected by my diet.

Exercise causes these symptoms and more to be much worse so that is whyI have only described them during excercise.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, definitely watch your diet. And try exercising only when your stomach is really empty, maybe.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
    brianna6687
    (female)

brianna6687 HB User

Digestion is a process that takes place best while your body is at rest. While you are exercising, blood is diverted from your gastrointestinal tract to your muscles and lungs, impeding digestion. This often leads to GI problems during exercise.

Closed Thread