HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Can you take PPIs and Reglan together? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/879640-can-you-take-ppis-reglan-together.html)

maryheather 11-27-2011 06:47 PM

Can you take PPIs and Reglan together?

I'm new here and have lots of questions! My first is regarding the meds that my Dr. has me taking. I am on 20mgs of prilosec 2 times a day plus pepcid at bedtime for LPR. I was on nexium for 7 days but had horrible diarrhea (like 10 + times a day). I was also told to add Reglan 3 times a day with meals. This seems like a lot. Anyone else take a PPI, H2 blocker and reglan? If so, how do you space them throughout the day? I'm thinking I would do something like this..
6:00am- Prilosec
7:00 am-Breakfast and Reglan
12:00pm- lunch and Reglan
5:00pm- Prilosec
6:00-dinner and Reglan
10:00pm-Pepcid

Anyone with LPR have success with Reglan? If so, what symptoms did it relieve and how long did it take to see improvement.

Thanks!!

janewhite1 11-27-2011 07:23 PM

Re: Can you take PPIs and Reglan together?

I'm currently on that regimen. I take Prilosec and Zantac first thing in the morning and at bedtime. I also take Reglan. Anytime I'm going to eat a significant-sized meal, I try to get the Reglan about 20 minutes before I start eating.

It does make me a little drowsy, but when I get onto a severe reflux cycle, it's the only thing that helps. It should help with heartburn, regurgitation and acid taste right away, it might take several days for the sore throat to begin to heal.

maryheather 11-28-2011 03:59 AM

I didn't know to take it 20 mins before...that makes sense though. I've taken Reglan twice before for 2 week periods when I was nursing my babies to increase milk supply. I had no problems with it then and I'm hoping that is true this time though I worry about all the issue it can cause.

Do you take it everyday or just as needed?

Thanks for your reply!

janewhite1 11-28-2011 05:39 AM

Due to the side effects, I only take it when my symptoms are particularly bad.

maryheather 11-29-2011 11:18 AM

It seems to have helped the lum pin my throat issue right away. How many days can I safely take these at a time? Also, how soon would I see negative side effects? Thanks!

janewhite1 11-29-2011 05:48 PM

The short-term negative side effects such as drowsiness usually show up right away. The neurological problems, my GI told me 12 weeks should be safe, at least for a relatively young adult with no history of neurological problems.

maryheather 11-30-2011 07:18 AM

ok, thanks! How long do I need to stay off after the 12 week period before starting them again. I am taking 10mgs 3 times a day right now.