It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Nissan Fundoplication

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
questiongirl22
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User
Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Nissan Fundoplication

I just wanted to talk to anyone about Vocal Cord Dysfunction, and how much it has affected their life. I have been in and out of the hospital for the past five years, three times on life support, one brain surgery, multiple scoping, and plenty more. Come to find out...I have multiple stomach problems that are causing acid to splash on my vocal cord and cause them to spasm, therefore I have an extremely hard time breathing.

This diagnosis of PVCD
<edited: too much info>
has COMPLETELY changed my life for the better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Nissan Fundoplication

It sounds like you've been through an awful lot. Have you had a Nissen Fundoplication yet or are you considering it?

Vocal cords just aren't designed to deal with the acid like our esophaguses do. It takes such a small amount of acid to cause major irritation of our throats and vocal cords. I'm glad you finally got a diagnosis for your problem so you can work towards finding a solution that works for you.

I've dealt with LPR for years. I was concerned with a constant cough and breathing problems. Ironically, I never even really noticed the change in my voice until my ENT pointed out how incredibly irritated and swollen my vocal cords were. The change had just become my norm.

I was able to get things under control for years, but eventually had a Nissen Fundoplication. While it is a serious step to take, it made a world of difference for me. The excessive acid is still there and finds it's way up in a gaseous form occassionally, but overall I consider my surgery a success.

Wishing you well,
MountainReader

Old 01-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
questiongirl22
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User

Wow...thank you so much. Reading that made me feel SO much more confident about my decision. I (just like you) had a horrible cough (especially at night) and my mother told me I sounded like a barking seal. When I coughed in general or if I was sick it sounded the same. I had breathing problems for the longest time, and finally I do have answers and a solution. Therefore I am thinking really hard about everything but the decision is obvious. Hearing from you really helped, this is the first time and first post I wrote and I am happy with the results =)

The following user gives a hug of support to questiongirl22:
MountainReader (01-14-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
questiongirl22
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User

Hello,
I have my consultation for my Nissen Fundoplication on the 31st. The surgery is right around the corner and is now actually starting to become real to me. I am worried that after surgery I am going to become depressed. I have a past of depression and I know that not being able to eat solids for a while and being tired bc of the lack of food, and not having energy to do anything is going to eventually cause me to fall back into a depression. I don't know how to prevent it, but it honestly does make me nervous. AND...enfection, and the trapped air also makes me nervous. I guess I would just like to have someone to talk to about it....to help me understand it more, and try to prepare somehow for the changes in my life that are about to begin. Thank you. =) I am in nursing school and I have a B+ GPA and clinicals are just around the corner and I can't wait to finish, I just dont want the recovery from mental and physical strains to prevent me longer then need be. I fought through brain surgery in 09' and was on life support 3 times, transported to Boston, visited multiple states and different doctors and still beat my way through school to get this far, so I SHOULD be fine. BUT I know that it is a huge comittment. Any suggestions?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi again.

There are a lot of us on this board you can discuss your concerns with. We are all here to share what we've learned through our own experiences and to ask questions of others.

Really, my symptoms were so severe that the surgery really was such a relief for me that despite the time healing, I was actually in a better place in many aspects.

While the diet after the surgery can get a bit old, it isn't that many days. Some surgeons have more restrictions than others. You will find out more on what your surgeon recommends. I really don't remember actually feeling like I was going hungry. There are a variety of options you can look at for eating after surgery. If you are dealing with depression, I recommend focusing on where you will be after you heal vs. what you are going through. Before you know it, you will be back to your normal self, hopefully minus your reflux symptoms. I know in my case that I was minus my symptoms from the moment I woke from surgery.

Wishing you well on your appointment.
MountainReader

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
questiongirl22 (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My Nissen was 12/20.

I found that the recovery was not that bad. The day after surgery, I was taking slow walks around the neighborhood. Two days after, I went grocery shopping. The whole first week I was in SOME discomfort, but it usually wasn't too much.

A week after, my incisions were 100% and I could do all my normal activities other than exercise that placed heavy demands on the abdomen. Leaving the tape on the incisions for a long time helped. I was just so grossed out by the idea of abdominal incisions that I didn't want to touch the tape to remove it! The ones on my left side, I left on for 4 days. The ones on the right side were more sore and had bruising next to them, so I left them on for 6 days.

The diet WAS hard, I have to admit. I'm glad I didn't have to work while on the liquid diet, because I was distractingly hungry. Once on purees, life got easier.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
questiongirl22
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User

Thanks for the info...anything I can get helps tremendously!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
questiongirl22
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User

I have two questions.
I have medications I take daily that aren't for my stomach....dexedrine...lexapro...monocyc lne....valtrex...I heard about compounding pharmacists...my closest one is 1hr 45 mins away. I know I can call them and send a perscription and have them send it to a pharmacy closer to me but I am not sure if there are rules on what meds can and cannot be compounded?
Also....Im wondering about weight loss...I hear I should expect it.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If the medicine is in a capsule, and it's NOT delayed release, you can just open the capsule and dissolve the medicine in water, which is what I did. If it's a tablet, it can be crushed.

I lost 7 pounds over the 1 month since my surgery. I may still be losing, as my work schedule is hectic and I still can't just stuff my face any old way.

Get in touch with the compounding pharmacy now and see what happens.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
questiongirl22
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User

So it is definitely a good idea to call now then huh!? I was wondering today and looked up the closest and honestly just getting on the ball about my medications and how I am going to get it here. Thanks for the info! Again.....I mean we've got to be our own advocates right? haha

Closed Thread